BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
mark toohey

Model: 8100t
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Airline wifi?

Please Login to Remove!

has anyone had an opportunity to test any of the majors wifi on any flights. I see American, Alaska Airlines, Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines and Virgin America all appear to have trials or claim to be offering service soon?

The majority device I have deployed right now is an 8320 Curve. I wonder if they could get email? it would just be a trickle of data, i expect.

I'm not looking for UMA here, that would be impractical, and I'm sure those ports are intentionally blocked.

TIA
Mark.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
ragorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

For what it's worth AA said it would charge $12.95 per flight. And VoIP stuff would be blocked. Thankfully, they at least have the decency to prevent rude and obnoxious phone behavior.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark toohey View Post
has anyone had an opportunity to test any of the majors wifi on any flights. I see American, Alaska Airlines, Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines and Virgin America all appear to have trials or claim to be offering service soon?

The majority device I have deployed right now is an 8320 Curve. I wonder if they could get email? it would just be a trickle of data, i expect.

I'm not looking for UMA here, that would be impractical, and I'm sure those ports are intentionally blocked.

TIA
Mark.
They're offering wifi on flights? That's news to me. I know Europe is toying with (or is "implementing") the idea of allowing calls on flights via passengers cell phones. But it's not gonna happen stateside.

Wifi alone isn't gonna be enough to check your BB email.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I was on an American Airlines flight (they only offer it on cross-country trips right now) this week where it was offered...by a company called GoGo Inflight Internet. I didn't try it, but there were people near me who did. See if your questions are answered at this link:
Gogo Inflight Internet
Closed Thread