BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Brett3333

Model: none
Default Please Help - BB Desktop Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Help! I updated the software on my 7520 and desktop from Nextel.com/blackberry. Everything went nicely. Next time I opened Desktop Manager, it ran Windows Installer and gives me this message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'BlackBerry 7520.msi' in the box below.

I searched my harddrive and cannot locate this file. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop software to no avail. The desktop manager is completely unaccessable as it will not let me get past this error in Windows Installer. I tried reloading the original desktop software from the CD-Rom that came with the phone. Nothing seems to work. I am stuck and ready to toss this computer and the BlackBerry out the window!!! What should I do?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

download the program from blackberry and make sure you do a clean install meaning remove all traces of the old you will have to go to documents and setting anad remove the pumatech folder and then to reistry its in two folders there
Old 10-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
Brett3333

Model: none

Thanks, Dawg. I actually did a clean uninstall twice and still had the same problem. Called BB Tech support and followed their suggestions which included:

(1) Doing another clean uninstall/install of the DM
(2) Turing off Antivirus and firewall and doing another clean install of the DM
(3) Removing all traces of Palm software and doing yet another clean uninstall of the DM
(4) Making sure that the update files were directly on the desktop and not in another folder and doing...can you guess....another clean install of the DM.

I still had the same freakin problem!!!

Finally, one of the tech support guys (I've been through three of them) had me re-run the BB Handheld software update (even though the handheld itself wasn't causing problems.) I got the same error but this time, I was able to go into c:/documents&settings/<myusername>/Local Settings/Temp and hidden in a folder called _ad91 or something like that was the Blackberry 7520 file I had been looking for. Every other time, this file was not there.

So, I opened the Desktop manager, and this time when the error came up, I pointed it to that file in the Temp folder. All my devices are now behaving nicely and talking to each other.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
sjzfse

Model: 7230
Default same problem with non-esistent blackberry 7200.msi

Hello,
I am having the same problem you spoke about but never did the upgrade of the Blackberry OS. What happened was that my computer crashed with the Desktop Manager 4.0 open. Needless to stay I can't get the Desktop Manager to work as it is still looking for BlackBerry 7200.msi. Do you have any idea what version of the Desktop manager that is related to? Any suggestions? Thanks, sjzfse
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Go to the Microsoft Download web site and locate Windows Installer v3.1 (I think that's the version). Install that and I think it will fix the problem.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
sjzfse

Default problems with bb desktop manager 7200 series

Dear NJBlackberry,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it seems not to have made a difference. I still get the same message. Now it tells me I need to look for the .msi that goes with "BlackBerry v.4.0 for the 7200 Series Wireless, Research in Motion version 4.0.0.185 (Platform 1.6.1.48). Where can I get the original install file for this so I can reinstall and get the missing .msi and then remove it all! I can not remove it through Windows control panel Add or remove programs. Help! Thanks, sjzfse

Last edited by sjzfse; 10-28-2005 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: don't want smilies!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

That is the handheld operating system code; the carrier's web sites normally have it listed - there is a complete list of the URLs on where to download the code from in a sticky thread in the General BB Discussion.

4.0.0.185 is older; you will probably have to download the latest version (4.0.2.xxx).

Good luck. Not exactly sure what's going on here
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 AM   #8
sjzfse

Thanks again...where is the list of the URLs from which I can download...unfortunately my carrier is Italian as I am here in Italy and they don't offer much support. The carrier is TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile). I haven't even update my OS for the Blackberry. I have a 7230 with platform 1.6.0.109. Dare I upgrade it??? If so what would you suggest?
Thanks...sjzfse
Old 10-28-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You can put v4 on it - it may slow it down a little.

Here's the list of download locations - http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871 - if TIM does not offer one, you can always download the 7230 software from T-Mobile and give that a shot.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
sjzfse

Thanks, NJ, I'll try it!
sjzfse
Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #11
sjzfse

Dear NJ,
I FINALLY resolved the problem. I followed your advice to try installing the v4 Handheld software. Of course it would not allow me to install it, always looking for the missing BlackBerry 7200.msi file. But this time, because I had tried to install the Handheld v4, it did what Bret3333 indicated above. It created the missing .msi in an obscure sub-directory under c:/documents&settings/<myusername>/Local Settings/Temp. When I got the error message again, trying to launch Desktop Manager v.4, I pointed to the missing .msi in this directory and then everything went ahead and now all is working again. Go figure!
Question: would you recommend my upgrading to Handheld software v4 even though all is working. Currently I have Platform 1.6.0.209 on my 7230. You mentioned v4 is slower, is it worth it? I have noticed that many of the new applications, including my Beiks Italian-English, English-Italian, require the v4. Is it to big a leap from the v1.6 to v4??
Thanks for all your help,
sjzfse
Closed Thread