Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
oturn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Stormy so far

Please Login to Remove!

Got my Storm on Friday, 12/19. This is my $.02 worth.

During the entire drive in to work today, it seems like I felt something, but I wasn't sure. Finally I realized it was my holstered Storm. The vibrate is weak!

Wow, so many third party applications don't work, or work wonky! Wonkily?

Unlocked GPS (perhaps not aGPS though). Nice! Strange for a Verizon phone, but at least they're finally pulling their heads out of...

Typing is fine. I actually like not having to be so delicate with every touch, like with the iPhone. However, I'm just not sure this implementation will work in the long run.

The web browser is much improved for a BlackBerry, but it pales in comparison to the iPhone browser. Although it hasn't crashed on me yet, which is a hell of lot more than I can say for the iPhone browser.

Every time I get a call or email and pull the Storm out of the holster, I have to wait for it to rotate before I can do anything. Not good. Now I understand why only parts of the iPhone UI rotate! It's a huge mistake to enable rotation on those aspects of the UI that don't really benefit, and where auto-rotation could potentially cause a slowdown of the primary function of the device, which after all is voice and messaging.

One note, my iPhone comparisons are because I own an iPhone, and because this phone has been positioned by Verizon as an iPhone competitor, so don't get your panties in a wad...

Overall I'm strongly leaning towards returning my Storm. The lack of polish in the UI is just too frustrating at this point. It's still a very usable device, but this is heavily dependent on exactly how it's used. I can see being happy with the phone, but in my case the negatives outweigh the positives. I have no doubt that RIM will work these kinks out over time, but I need a certain level of performance now. I look forward to seeing the Storm evolve and grow, but not while I'm expecting that critical message or call...

Last edited by oturn; 12-22-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
oturn

Oh and I'm using .83.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
illig

Model: 9530

i agree on most points.. the latest iPhone OS is lightyears ahead of the latest Storm OS IMHO...

in my experience, however, the radio in the Storm actually works... whereas the iPhone's is so weak that i need to stand under a cell tower to get reception

i'm in a BB vs. iPhone household... and my significant other tends to use her i"phone" more as an ipod due to the signal problems while i can actually make and receive calls
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
oturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
i agree on most points.. the latest iPhone OS is lightyears ahead of the latest Storm OS IMHO...

in my experience, however, the radio in the Storm actually works... whereas the iPhone's is so weak that i need to stand under a cell tower to get reception

i'm in a BB vs. iPhone household... and my significant other tends to use her i"phone" more as an ipod due to the signal problems while i can actually make and receive calls

And I couldn't agree with you more! For me, the iPhone on AT&T is simply tragic. An awesome device, hobbled by a terrible network.

Before purchasing the Storm, my primary device was a Pearl on Verizon. Like most people on Verizon, the reception is exceptional everywhere. My iPhone is more for play, since the reception is so poor. My hopes for the Storm was for it to be a revolutionary device like the iPhone, but on a usable network. I was ready to sell my iPhone. Now I seem to be heading back to square one. If I'm unable to accept the Storm's shortcomings, then it's back to my trusty little Pearl for work, and my iPhone for play. Sigh.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

The Storm is a new device. It will be some time before there are loads of applications available for it. Some have been written already and some work in compatibility mode. As far as the O/S goes, that will improve with subsequent updates.

I agree in some aspects that the Storm is a competitor to the iPhone but not totally. In any event, what Blackberry's do well is email. I do not own an iPhone but I support my boss's iPhone on my company network. It is amazing what the iPhone can not do compared to what my Blackberry can do. It will be some time before an iPhone can compete with RIM from the point of view of email.

Anyway, welcome to the early adopter community. There is no perfect device out there. They all have their pros and cons. The iPhone had issues with all of their phones that software updates resolved. VZW and RIM have already officially released one update. I don't think it will be long before another update is available. It is in VZW's and RIM's interest to get things sorted out.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oturn View Post
During the entire drive in to work today, it seems like I felt something, but I wasn't sure. Finally I realized it was my holstered Storm. The vibrate is weak!
It's unbelievable to me, after reading so many users reviews, how so many different people have such diverse experiences. I have my phone set to the loud profile and the vibrate is so strong it feels like my colon is gurgling.

Quote:
Wow, so many third party applications don't work, or work wonky! Wonkily?
What?

Quote:
Unlocked GPS (perhaps not aGPS though). Nice! Strange for a Verizon phone, but at least they're finally pulling their heads out of...
I get so tired of hearing this. I guess there is an awful lot of the world that doesn't understand VZW is a business, why would they offer a product like VZ Nav but yet offer multiple options for navigation?

Quote:
Overall I'm strongly leaning towards returning my Storm. The lack of polish in the UI is just too frustrating at this point
Good, go get something else and cry about that.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
oturn

Wow, Scott, I post my honest, somewhat lighthearted opinions on the Storm, and you decided to respond and show what a jerk you are. Should we all have you review our comments first? What exactly is a public forum for?

Wonky:
Urban Dictionary: wonky

I guess your colon was still gurgling when you wrote your post?

Oh, as for GPS...you're defending Verizon on this issue? Wow.
Closed Thread