BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #41
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Have had my 8700c since the Friday after Thanksgiving and...

Screen protector on the screen...

Screen protector covering the battery cover...

Unit not dropped...

No dust, no problems with rattling, no volume issues.

I love the device, Cingular is no worse than any other business I deal with when it comes to support and resolving issues with their technology.

I have a good repore with our sales rep, and when I contact him, things are resolved same day, little to no hassle.

IMO.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #42
Wiseass

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well I dropped mine again on new years (either that or someone knocked it out of my holster while moving across the dance floor). Ill agree the holster needs to be a bit more secure or if I can find a decent replacement ill be happy. But nothing busted yet. The outside case however could use a replacement already, its got lines and scratches more then a heroin addict. So far no scratches on the screen itself (have had a protector sheet on there for a bit now) but after numerous drops and slides across the kitchen floor/parking lot, the thing is still trucking along. I'm glad to see not everyone is having issues and that I'm not alone in beating up my device
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #43
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have still only dropped mine 4 times, I have had a new holster for the last 2 weeks, and haven't dropped it since. Mine too, has cracks and scatches all over the case, front and back, but the screen has no damage and has been naked since day one.

The device is more durable than I expected, but I will probably replace the case, once they are available, hopefully with a black one that won't show damage as much.

I got aftermarket holtser at http://store.bizshopr.com/spdmon0193.html for under $20, feels strudy, magnet works, my 8700 holds a charge for about 4 days just like with the plastic holster.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #44
moonbaseone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 20DC81B8
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseass
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well I dropped mine again on new years (either that or someone knocked it out of my holster while moving across the dance floor). Ill agree the holster needs to be a bit more secure or if I can find a decent replacement ill be happy. But nothing busted yet. The outside case however could use a replacement already, its got lines and scratches more then a heroin addict. So far no scratches on the screen itself (have had a protector sheet on there for a bit now) but after numerous drops and slides across the kitchen floor/parking lot, the thing is still trucking along. I'm glad to see not everyone is having issues and that I'm not alone in beating up my device
Hi. Sounds like your BB has taken a beating and it still has no scratches on the screen?

May I ask, what kind of screen protector are you using? And, how often do you have to replace it, if you have had to yet?

Thanks

FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #45
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Woot. No issues since Christmas..and Cingular Business support is thinking about offering a 12 step program for blackberry addiction.

Berry gets lots of use..and I have had no issues whatsoever!

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #46
Wiseass

As far as the screen protector I use an old write-right for a palm that I had. I just photocopied the 8700 to get the screen size, and then cut the write-right down to fit the entire black part Inside the silver outline. I poked holes in the protector where the earpiece is. I know someone on here suggested using it before oem protectors or pre-cut protectors were available. Its only been a few weeks now that I've had it on there and I've had the thing since after thanksgiving so it was bare before that. Thankfully though I've not dropped it ON the screen, and when it slid across the floor and parking lot it was on its back. No dust yet either.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #47
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Still no scratches on the screen. The edges of the body is a completely different thing. I've dropped it now several times on cement. Had to use a nail file to smooth the edges down. Too bad the whole thing was not black!

And yes, I do have dust gathering - but as it is only really noticeable when the screen is off, it still not a big deal. Yet.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #48
consalam

Model: 8700

Same here. I was a huge fan of the Treo 650, and swore I'd never leave for BB....but I did, and I'm glad. No dust, no problems, no complaints!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #49
Wiseass

I hate to bump and old thread but rather than start a new one I thought some of you might like an update on the beating up of my 8700C. I've dropped it several time more since I started this thread, one rough one in particular was through our raised floor in the computer room to the concrete below. It must have been about 5 feet or so from my waist to the floor, and when I picked up the unit the screen was all fuzzy, looked like one big grainy rainbow collection of pixels. "Great its broken" I thought, so I did the usual pull battery and sim, no dice, so one of the network guys suggested jokingly that I drop it again and see if it starts working. "Heck, already shot, at this point what do I have to lose?" I thought.
So I dropped it from about 10 inches up onto the desk, nope, still the same, so I dropped it from about 2 feet back onto the concrete and guess what, it works again! The case has seen better days, and it looks like its actually starting to crack apart at the seam where the usb/ear bud ports are, but it works fine. There is a slight rattle on the inside when I shake it. Sounds like a snap or something broke off, but I havnt cracked it apart to find out. I did also break a tab off of the stock holster so now it doesn't snap in firmly and has taken a few tumbles out, but I've got a fortte case on order. So far its stood the test of time.