Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Warning: Kindle for BB gave 552 error on 9630

Please Login to Remove!

Running OS 4.7..71 on Verizon, the new Kindle BB (beta) bricked my Tour. Going to have to try and wipe and reload. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of installing. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgrom04 View Post
Running OS 4.7..71 on Verizon, the new Kindle BB (beta) bricked my Tour. Going to have to try and wipe and reload. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of installing. Did this happen to anyone else?
There is a "bug" on certain BlackBerry OS versions, 4.7.1.61 included (current VZW release for 9630/Tour), that limits the number or total size of all applications on the device. The result when this "fuzzy" limit is exceeded is a 552 error following reboot, "out of memory" error upon app launch, newly installed app "disappears" following reboot, etc. A "simple" solution to avoiding a wipe and reload is to connect to the device using the RIM AppLoader to delete the app in question that was installed prior to experiencing the fatal 552 error. Once you are again able to boot the device, you can remove unused apps to allow apps that "caused" the 552 to be installed and used successfully.

Last edited by visortgw; 02-18-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
There is a "bug" on certain BlackBerry OS versions, 4.7.1.61 included (current VZW release for 9630/Tour), that limits the number or total size of all applications on the device. The result when this "fuzzy" limit is exceeded is a 552 error following reboot, "out of memory" error upon app launch, etc. A "simple" solution to avoiding a wipe and reload is to connect to the device using the RIM AppLoader to delete the app in question that was installed prior to experiencing the fatal 552 error. Once you are again able to boot the device, you can remove unused apps to allow apps that "caused" the 552 to be installed and used successfully.
This is immensely helpful, thank you. I did get the "out of memory" warning, but then it went to 552, so I figured that it was just associated with that.

One question: I will find this out when I get home, but do you think DM will recognize my device? If so, I simply plug in the BB, hope it is recognized, and then go into AppLoader on DM and delete the Kindle app, and then I should be able to boot the device?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
This is immensely helpful, thank you. I did get the "out of memory" warning, but then it went to 552, so I figured that it was just associated with that.

One question: I will find this out when I get home, but do you think DM will recognize my device? If so, I simply plug in the BB, hope it is recognized, and then go into AppLoader on DM and delete the Kindle app, and then I should be able to boot the device?
Actually, DO NOT USE the Desktop Manager, but launch the AppLoader directly -- you may need to search a bit on your PC, but mine is located in \Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on my system disk (the actual file is Loader.exe. You should be able to boot after deleting Kindle...
Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Yes, this exact thing happened to me also. I posted about it in the Aftermarket Software thread about the app. Will try visortgw's advice.

Ok, back in business now. I was hoping I would not have to wipe and completely reload. Thanks visortgw.

Last edited by daphne; 02-18-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Actually, DO NOT USE the Desktop Manager, but launch the AppLoader directly -- you may need to search a bit on your PC, but mine is located in \Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on my system disk (the actual file is Loader.exe. You should be able to boot after deleting Kindle...
Visortgw, many thanks for your quick and helpful reply--it worked. For anyone who may look to this thread for advice, here is what I did:
1) Connected BB to PC via USB. Do not open DM, or close out of it if it automatically opens
2) Navigate to the AppLoader as described above
3) Double click on the loader.exe file and follow the prompts.
4) "uncheck" Kindle from the list of programs and hit next
5) Kindle will be deleted
6) My BB then had white screen with spinning clock, so I unplugged from computer and and did a battery pull, and it booted successfully.

If I want Kindle while running .61 looks like I will have to delete some other apps first.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

The part that i find hard is of how much use can kindle be to allow you to read a book on a 2.5 screen in the first place, i am not knocking it but it seems useless to me.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki View Post
The part that i find hard is of how much use can kindle be to allow you to read a book on a 2.5 screen in the first place, i am not knocking it but it seems useless to me.
Probably off topic for the thread, but I think the idea is more of "why not?" than of absolute necessity. It's probably not practical for ones BB to be the only way to read e-books books, but because you can sync books purchased on Kindle across your PC, Kindle reader, etc. the BB is just another way to access those titles. Say you've come upon some extra time waiting for a meeting to start, you now have another way to kill the time.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Visortgw, many thanks for your quick and helpful reply--it worked. For anyone who may look to this thread for advice, here is what I did:
1) Connected BB to PC via USB. Do not open DM, or close out of it if it automatically opens
2) Navigate to the AppLoader as described above
3) Double click on the loader.exe file and follow the prompts.
4) "uncheck" Kindle from the list of programs and hit next
5) Kindle will be deleted
6) My BB then had white screen with spinning clock, so I unplugged from computer and and did a battery pull, and it booted successfully.

If I want Kindle while running .61 looks like I will have to delete some other apps first.
In 6), I believe that the battery pull was most likely unnecessary as the spinning clock indicated reboot already in progress. I am guessing that the AppLoader signaled the device to reboot based upon the fact that it had deleted the Kindle app (requiring a reboot). As you have probably noticed, the 9630 can take up to 10 minutes to reboot, especially if you are connected to a BES (based upon memory cleaning, etc.).

BTW, I'm glad that I was able to get you back up and running without a "wipe and reload"!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
daphne

Yes, the the device did reboot without a battery pull for me.

One related question... does OS 5.0 remove the limit on the total size of all applications on the device?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Yes, the the device did reboot without a battery pull for me.

One related question... does OS 5.0 remove the limit on the total size of all applications on the device?
I understand that it does, but I have not yet experimented with OS v5.0 (waiting... and waiting... and waiting... for Big Red to release something "official")...
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
daphne

Regarding the application memory - is that the same as your file free?

Last night when I installed the Kindle app, my file free was about 88 mb. The Kindle app is 1.2 mb. So I don't understand why it would cause the out of memory error. Unless app memory is something different.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne
Regarding the application memory - is that the same as your file free?

Last night when I installed the Kindle app, my file free was about 88 mb. The Kindle app is 1.2 mb. So I don't understand why it would cause the out of memory error. Unless app memory is something different.
You are correct as far as the amount of memory that SHOULD be available for applications. There appears to be some issue related to either the number or total space consumed by apps that is causing an issue, but RIM has not confirmed the actual limits. The BlackBerry® OS has been plagued with a lot of strange bugs over the years, which is unfortunate given the timeframes for RIM and the carrier to release fixes (i.e., users upgrade the OS in its entirety hoping to fix bugs that affect them, only to discover new ones).
Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
bradbort

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon
Default same problem, but not believing ap limit

I too bricked my tour when I installed Kindle software. Remvoing it through the desktop resolved the issue.

i'm having a hard time believing that this is related to the number of applications however. I have recently deleted several, so adding the Kindle ap back in should not have put me higher than I have been in the past. I assumed it was a problem with Kindle possibly only working with OS 5.0.

for those of you who had the same problem, has anyone removed apps and than added teh Kindle ap in. Did it work?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbort View Post
I too bricked my tour when I installed Kindle software. Remvoing it through the desktop resolved the issue.

i'm having a hard time believing that this is related to the number of applications however. I have recently deleted several, so adding the Kindle ap back in should not have put me higher than I have been in the past. I assumed it was a problem with Kindle possibly only working with OS 5.0.

for those of you who had the same problem, has anyone removed apps and than added teh Kindle ap in. Did it work?
I haven't tried the Kindle app itself, but I experienced the same issue with multiple apps in the past -- the "new" Google Mobile App (yes, the one with voice and device data (i.e., contacts and e-mail) search capabilities), BeejiveIM, BOLT, engadget, and UPSxxx8482; Mobile App for BlackBerry®.

Multiple third-party developers were just scratching their heads until I found this on another BlackBerry community forum. I, too, was skeptical until it repeatedly proved to resolve the issue.

Last edited by visortgw; 02-19-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
bradbort

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon
Default hmmm. I'll test it tonight

I've got most of those appliations installed myself. Strange. hope Verizon releases OS 5.0 for the tour soon.....
Closed Thread