Old 11-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
SmittyB

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS
Default Add Ringtone for Call Forwarding Calls

Please Login to Remove!

Hey,

I got a blackberry Curve 8330 and I have an older work phone which is still in use. What I want to do is to forward the old cellphone to my blackberry and have a custom ring tone for when I get calls from that old work phone. Is this possible? I have already setup the call forwarding on the work phone, so I just need to find out if there is a way to have a different ringer for when calls are coming in from the work phone. I have been searching the net for a while now and have found nothing helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Add Ringtone for Call Forwarding Calls

Same thing I do. and welcome to the Forums.

Different ring tones and alerts can be set for incoming messages and calls from specific contacts or groups of contacts. When a call or message is received, the BlackBerry smartphone uses the ring tone or alert assigned to the sender, even if the sound profile is set to Silent or Vibrate Only.

BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 and later

On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Contacts.
Select the contact that a custom ring tone is being added for.
Press the Menu key and click Edit.
Press the Menu key again and click Add Custom Phone Tune.
Select a ring tone from the list of available ring tones.
Press the Menu key and click Save.
BlackBerry Device Software 5.0

On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Sounds.
Click Set Contact Alerts.
Click Add Contact Alert.
Press the Menu key.
Click Add Name.
Click a contact.
To add additional contacts, repeat steps 3 through 5.
Click the application or item that you want to change.
Change the ring tone or alert information.
Press the Menu key.
Click Save.
Note: Set the sound profile to All Alerts Off to turn off notifications with the assigned ring tone or alert.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
SmittyB

Hey, thanks for the quick reply,

I just tried what you said but it did not work. What you described above I believe just changed the ring tone if the work phone calls my blackberry, not if the call was forwarded from the work phone. It's kind of weird to explain. I have an old work phone, it's setup to forward all of it's calls to my blackberry. What's happening is that I'm getting the same ring tone on my blackberry when either the blackberry or the work phone is called. I would like to have one ring set for when anyone calls my blackberry number and a different ring for when someone calls my work phone. I hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Bryan
Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , if you have your office phone transferred to the BBxxx8217;s number it should be able to see the incoming number and select it for a custom ring tone. The only restriction is if the forwarded phone number varies because of something your company does with outgoing trunks. Some companies use available numbers and you never get the same outgoing number.

I set up my office to call directly the number on my BB. When it see the incoming number it does a contact lookup and does the custom ring. Does the incoming number show as your office number all the time? If so it should work.

keep in mind the office number must be in the contacts list.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
SmittyB

I just called my work phone from my house phone and it comes up as the contact HOME with a ring tone. Then I called my blackberry from my house phone, and it also comes up as HOME with the same ring tone as before. When I call my blackberry from work phone, then comes up as WORK PHONE and a different ring tone.

I obviously have WORK PHONE in my contact list. Does it matter what category the number is saved under (ie. Work1, Home1)?

Once again I appreciate the help,

Bryan
Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok lets see if I got this straight. When you call the BB from the work phone you DO get a different ring tone. Thatxxx8217;s what you want. If someone else calls the work phone it does not come across as the work phone. My suspicion is the work phone is a direct telephone company line and when forwarded it will also forward the callers phone number. Call forwarding with this method will not work so you may be out of luck. I cannot find a method to allow the forwarding without full transfer. I talked to a friend of mine who works for Verizon and he said it may be an issue without a resolution.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
SmittyB

Hmph...Damn, I thought it wouldn't be a huge problem. Anyways, I really appreciate the time you put in this question. Thanks a lot.

Take care,

Bryan
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

I wish it was easy to do this but as you saw it can be a problem. I did some more checking and unless the office phone will forward without caller id forwarding it wont work. You might try setting up custome ring tones for the people you do know and then when a call comes in from someoen else at least you will know.
Closed Thread