BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Mongoose

Model: 7250
Question Ringtones on Telus 7250 [browser-less units]

Please Login to Remove!

Hello BB group,

What a wonderful find this site is for a BB/BES admin. Thanks to everyone that aids in maintaining it.

Now on to the question...

I admin 60 BB 7250 handhelds and the single most asked question is: how do I get additional ringtones on this thing? Ok, fair enough but I'm way too busy to make it a priority. However since it's asked at least twice a month I started checking it out.

Most information here points to grabbing ringtones via the WAP browser and just saving a .mid file to the BB. That would work except for the fact that we don't support web browsing from the BB (and likely never will; it's a strict policy and is enforced using BES policy).

So, is it possible to load up ringtones using the DTM application loader just like I did with Themes? The app loader supports .alx files but not .mid and besides a .mid file seems like a profile element and not an app in t he sense that a theme is an app. I quickly tried emailing a .mid file to myself but I wasn't able to do anything with it.

What's the solution or are my browser-less corporate users SOL?

BB - Telus 7250
OS - 4.0.2.29
BES - 4.0 on EXCH 2003

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work here!!

\\Mongoose
Old 04-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Mongoose

Thumbs up

I guess this must be tougher than I thought.

A few posts down the page is a thread about ringtones with no data plan. It involves using the Rim JDE to proxy a web connection to a site that has the ringtone(s) you want. This works great. I was able to grab a ringtone for the 7250 using the simulator and then restore a backup of that tone on the real hardware. The author's instructions are bang on.

\\Mongoose
Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
KennyC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks Mongoose...gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know my write-up helped someone. Also glad for the confirmation that it works on other units besides my 7100g.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Mongoose

Question

When you were using the BB JDE did you experience any issues getting fledge.exe to load a different model? The default for the version 4.0.2 of the JDE is a 7290 so I used fledge /handheld=<model> from the cmd line to try and load a 7250 but all I was able to get was the shell and a - No Java Loaded - Please reload your device - error message on the screen.

\\Mongoose
Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
KennyC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

In the simulator directory, there's a bunch of xxxxx.bat files. I wanted to simulate the 7100g, so I just run 7100g.bat
Closed Thread