BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
mbhupatrai

Model: 8700g
Carrier: ATT
Default Mail Connector vs Desktop Redirector

Please Login to Remove!

Have a TMO 8700g and am currently using the Desktop Redirector.

In general it works pretty well but here are issues I have encountered and any assistance or direction would be appreciated:
  • Occassionaly, when I get to over 20 mails pending, I dont' receive anything unless I either restart the redirector many times and mails come in in sets of 1, 2 or 3...OR I just purge pending mails and then it's all god.
  • Can't accept or send meeting requests
  • Can't view attachments
  • No wireless reconciliation of items including calendar, tasks etc

I understand the mail connector download from TMO's website (I also understand this is available via the various cell companies) allows attachments.

I'd like to know the pros and cons of using both method.

Options I don't have NOR wish to utilise:
BES: Don't have access to the company's BES and will NOT by outsourcing for BES access. Company policy requires me to switch to Cingular and I'm not willing to do this at this point. I'd like to stick to my company's email.
Mail Forwarding: This is also NOT something I want to do.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

M

Last edited by mbhupatrai; 09-21-2006 at 08:49 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: m

Desktop Redirector and Mail Connector are essentially the same thing. They monitor your mailbox on the Exchange server through your MAPI profile. Desktop Redirector works essentially like a mini, single user BES on your computer. Mail delivery should be fairly instant unless you're using it with a POP or IMAP connection, in which case you've got it working with an unsupported configuration and might explain some of the issues you've been experiencing.

Mail Connector differs in that it actually goes through the BlackBerry Internet Service. It monitors your mailbox on the Exchange server through your MAPI profile. Instead of sending the information out to the BlackBerry network the information is polled by BIS, similar to a regular integration. This allows attachments but can be significantly more troublesome to fix if it breaks.

For the most part the difference in your experiencing using either should be limited essentially on to the attachments. Otherwise it should be the same.
Closed Thread