BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Does cingular get stuck in GSM more often?

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't used Cingular as much as T-Mobile, but one common thing that I keep seeing with Cingular devices is getting hung in GSM mode, requiring a reboot to resolve it. I've seen it on 7290 and 7100 phones with Cingular... I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the 7290's were all the unbranded black label phones. I've never personally dealt with a 7290 with a Cingular logo on it.

The 7100's on Cingular that I've used had SIM cards with out any network logos on them; they were just white with orange SIM numbers.

I'm having this problem myself with my 7290 that was issued to me by my new employer. It's a black label 7290 with the new 64K 3G Smartchip SIM.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
obstacles can kill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

only once has my 8700c gotten stuck on GSM. and it was due to a network outage. aside from that, i havent had any problems. but it may depend on the area that you are in.

BB Inventory:
9000, 8310, 8800,
8100 x2 (One Black, One Red), 8700c, 7290
Old 05-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

I have a (7100T through T-Mobile) and live in an area where T-mobile doesn't have any towers (Western NC) so I am constantly using Cingular towers.

My 7100T gets stuck on GSM probably 2 times each week. The only soluton that I have found is to reboot the device in order to sort it out.

I thought that it was because I was roaming, and therefore was being treated as a secondary customer. Perhaps this is another reason to reconsider switching to Cingular when my contract is up next month.

-NS

-NS
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
txchad

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

my 7100g with cingular gets stuck on gsm about 4 times a week. i had it replaced under warranty, but the new one does the same thing. why does this happen. it just started happening in the last month or so.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
g.cooper

Model: 7100
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi, this is my first post so I'm sorry if my question was meant to go elsewhere.

I have a similar problem but slightly different. I'm kind of the run-around kid for when things go wrong at our company. And one of our blackberry users has reported that when he goes out of signal he loses GPRS (suprise suprise) but when he comes back in range of signal it does not switch back on and he has to remember to turn the wireless 'offically' off then on again to make it reconnect. He doesn't need to pull the battery like some of you have reported needing to do. He uses a 7100. I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what it might be?
I'm always tempted to say it's the handset and just ordered them a new one....
Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

It should not happen very often. Most likely it could be a SIM issue or a device issue.

The Gecko
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
webberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
It should not happen very often. Most likely it could be a SIM issue or a device issue.

The Gecko

Is "should not" happen often, but it does happen often. I have seen it with many Blackberry users, so it is not an isloated SIM or device issue.
There is a very common, widespread problem.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
g.cooper

Model: 7100
Carrier: Vodafone

Ok, so is this unresolvable or can I take up the issue with anyone? Our service provider?

* Ok, so I called some Blackberry service desk and they said that if you're out of range for too long then you just drop off the network and have to manually reboot your connection. But it shouldn't need to happen if you go out and back into signal quite quickly.

Thanks for your help guys

Last edited by g.cooper; 09-21-2006 at 03:25 AM..
Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Paul McG

Model: 7290

I used a Cingulair 7290, black model, in Houston, Tx for about 6 months. During that time I had 3 different phones of the same model. They all had problems with dropping to GSM even when I was in the same building the entire time. Only once did one recover on its own after about 3 days. After that I started popping the battery out if it didn't go back to GPRS after an hour. My company switched me to a T-Mobile 7290, blue mode, which I have had for over 2 months now. It has only dropped to GSM twice, that I have noticed, and both times it recovered on its own within an hour.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yeah in my experience T-mobile doesn't really get stuck in GSM mode like Cingular does.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Closed Thread