Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
damop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Question Get SRP Status

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I'm trying to get the SRP status from a remote BES server - basically have a number of monitoring programs written, and need to be able to obtain the status of the connection to srp.na.blackberry.net

Anyone know how?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
idontknow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 6230

I assume you want to do this through a script or something and not the BB Manager. I beleive there is a value in the DB for SRP connection. I'll have to double check my server and get back to you.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
damop

Carrier: O2

Its a VBScript that I have for monitoring ..... do you have the full SQL DB schema for BES 4.0/4.1?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
amcglone

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Default SRP Connection Monitor Using Resource Kit (BBRK)

I have observed that the SQL database fields do not reflect current SRP connection status.

The best way I found to monitor the SRP connection is to use the Blackberry Resource Kit. It takes a little bit of effort to set up, but it is worth it. You can create a batch file to check the status of the connection and then email you if it is down.

PS - I confirmed with RIM that the SRP test EXE included with the BES install does not validate whether an SRP ID is enabled/disabled. It only verifies connectivity over port 3101.

Last edited by amcglone; 08-07-2006 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
blubyu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

snmp would be your best bet. Here is how I am doing it with php:

PHP Code:
$besSysHealthSrpConnectedStatexxx91;0xxx93; = snmpget(DBHOSTSNMPCOMMUNITY"1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10.1"); 
This will return a 1 (connected) or 0 (disconnected). If you download a free snmp browser you will see all the things that you can query. Since you are doing vb you could probably also right in some snmp traps and have it alert you when the connection goes down.

I should add that I only have one BES server so the query above is kinda hard coded for that server. If you have more then one BES server to query then you will need to mod the snmp string above.

Last edited by blubyu; 08-07-2006 at 08:43 PM..
Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
zerofill

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubyu
snmp would be your best bet. Here is how I am doing it with php:

PHP Code:
$besSysHealthSrpConnectedStatexxx91;0xxx93; = snmpget(DBHOSTSNMPCOMMUNITY"1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10.1"); 
This will return a 1 (connected) or 0 (disconnected). If you download a free snmp browser you will see all the things that you can query. Since you are doing vb you could probably also right in some snmp traps and have it alert you when the connection goes down.

I should add that I only have one BES server so the query above is kinda hard coded for that server. If you have more then one BES server to query then you will need to mod the snmp string above.
Hi blubyu,

Would you be able to give me a proof of concept in getting snmp working properly with php? When I try to do
Code:
snmpget('localhost', 'public', "1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10.1");
It gives me the following error
Code:
Warning: snmpget() [function.snmpget]: Error in packet: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. in D:\Domains\bestools3.lennar.com\public_html\snmp.php on line 4

Warning: snmpget() [function.snmpget]: This name does not exist: system.sysUpTime.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10.1 in D:\Domains\bestools3.lennar.com\public_html\snmp.php on line 4
I've also tried private and a bunch of other guesses for the community as this is my first attempt with SNMP.

I did copy the blackBerryServer.mib to the mibs directory under the php dir, added blackBerryServer.mib to .index, and restarted apache.

Thanks!

Last edited by zerofill; 02-06-2007 at 08:05 PM..
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
jgroh9

Model: 7290

why don't you just write a ping request to the srp.na.blackberry.net and if a response is returned you know the srp is working. I am doing this through .NET and it works great. Check out the ISConnectible function on the following site for how to write a ping request in vbscript: microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting | Google Groups
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
lkted

Model: 7230
PIN: n/a
Carrier: 3

I found that the performance monitor which can capture the BES status. Does it valid?
Closed Thread