BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Leonadial

Model: 7100v
Default What happens to 3rd party apps after BES activation?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have just bought a Blackberry Pearl and plan to install some 3rd party apps BEFORE activation with my company's BES.

My first BB was a 7100v and I connected to the BES before I realized that my IT policy prevented installation of any new applications - installs via OTA, USB, Bluetooth were all locked down.

With my new device it feels like a have a 2nd chance. What will happen to the apps like Opera Mini 3 after Enterprise Activation? Is IT policy capable of removing them, will it most likely disable them or might they still work? Will alarm bells start ringing if they notice what I've tried?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonadial
Hi,

I have just bought a Blackberry Pearl and plan to install some 3rd party apps BEFORE activation with my company's BES.

My first BB was a 7100v and I connected to the BES before I realized that my IT policy prevented installation of any new applications - installs via OTA, USB, Bluetooth were all locked down.

With my new device it feels like a have a 2nd chance. What will happen to the apps like Opera Mini 3 after Enterprise Activation? Is IT policy capable of removing them, will it most likely disable them or might they still work? Will alarm bells start ringing if they notice what I've tried?

Thanks for any advice!
The IT policies that your company puts in place are there for a reason.
It seems to me like you're deliberately trying to circumvent them.
Many people in this forum won't agree with what you're trying to do.. myself included... so I don't know that anyone is really going to be willing to help you out or answer your questions.

Why not ask your BES administrator what you're asking us?
If you can't, or don't want to ask the BES admin... then that should be a good indicator that what you're trying to do is simply not right.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Leonadial

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
The IT policies that your company puts in place are there for a reason.
It seems to me like you're deliberately trying to circumvent them.
Many people in this forum won't agree with what you're trying to do.. myself included... so I don't know that anyone is really going to be willing to help you out or answer your questions.

Why not ask your BES administrator what you're asking us?
If you can't, or don't want to ask the BES admin... then that should be a good indicator that what you're trying to do is simply not right.
No need to get all righteous! My BES admin has gone home for the day, I've just got my new Pearl and I thought this might be a good place to get my question answered.

Yes, I would like to have my cake and eat it too, but rather than tell me what is morally right and wrong, can anyone answer my question from a technical perspective? Does IT policy remove or disable 3rd party apps installed before activation or might they still work?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

It will probably disable any 3rd party apps you have installed. It just depends on what the policy actually is.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Hmm yes and no...

If an application is on a device, then it is likely to stay on the device when activated [see exception below]. Whether it will work or not will be down to

a) IT policies - for example "allow public IM services"
b) Standard firewall rules - i.e. block pron sites - as when browsing you are browsing thru your companies LAN.

The IT policies are set individually by companies, and there may be different policies for users or user groups. We can't tell what your companies IT policy settings are - you'll either have to ask or suck it and see - For Example there is an IT policy of "allow other party browsers" and if this is set to false then it will nuke your opera mini from working.

In addition there is a way of specifying a default software configuration for users or user groups which I think was introduced in 4.1. BES (IIRC). This only permits certain defined apps to be installed on the device and then disables, sandboxes or deletes apps that are not on this list. Out of all my customers, I can only think of one that has a forced sw config policy, the rest being a little more laissez-faire.

Why not just give it a whirl at best it might work, at worst it wont and you'll get a call/email from the IT guy telling you that your apps won't work..
Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Leonadial

Thanks bertiebassett! That's the kind of help I was looking for.

I didn't know BES IT Policies went down to that level of granularity. I thought it was just "No installation of 3rd party apps".

I'll give it a go with the apps I really need and see what happens.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah all depends on the IT Policy. My fiancee is on BES and is able to install and use all the 3rd Party apps as I(on BIS).
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Righteous?! Don't friends owe it to each other to try to warn of danger?

I sure hope you do not have an IT policy in place that punishes you for violating it. At my work it can get you fired and does on occasion.

Good luck with that.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Closed Thread