Old 12-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
berryapps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 01-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
alinla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Global configuration of BB units

Hi,

We are about to get a 20 units for many of our execs. I have only been using the BB for about 2 weeks myself. I am learning about the functionality and features of the BB and the BES at the same time.

Is there a way to image or globally configure multiple BB 7290's so that they have the the same settings like font size, smart dialing, same icon order, profiles etc.

I read about IT policy for security settings but was looking for a method to set other setting without changing them on each individual BB.

Would it work to backup one BB and then restore that backup to a different BB? Or does that just screw up things because of the uniqueness of the BB on the BES?

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

alinla
Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

You could save a "generic backup" that you could install when you upgrade the devices when you get them. That would probably be the best working option.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
alinla

Are there any special procedures to do this? Anything special I should watch out for? I haven't tried restoring a backup yet so am I not familiar with that. I guess thats something I'll do later today.

As a spin off question, can I have sync more than one BB on one PC with the BB Desktop Manager installed?

Thanks.

Al
Old 01-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

You would simply setup your first blackberry with the default settings you want. Use BB manager to backup (backup/restore->backup) the current settings while it hasn't been activated on BES yet.

Now I would use app loader to reload the whichever OS you plan to use. Delete everything and don't backup or restore.

After the wipe and OS load is done, choose backup/restore->restore. Choose the file you backed up from the first device. Do this for each subsequent device.

Alternatively, if the devices are already wiped and have the OS version you want on them, just do the last step with the restore. Will save a bit of time.

For the second question, I think so. You would just have to make sure you don't get the PIN numbers confused. It will only connect to one device at a time (though you can choose the device under connection settings). I have connected and configured up to 8 devices connected to a single computer, but as I said, you will only be able to work with one at a time.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
alinla

Many thanks bfrye.

Yeah, I wouldn't even think of connection more than one BB via USB at a time. That sounds like its asking for problems.

I will try to do exactly what you said. The BB's are coming with the OS we want on them so I will just try to backup and restore and see how that works.

I'll post a message back here afterwards with the results.

Al
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I know this is an old article, but thanks so much for this information. I was wondering how I was going to globally configure phone options, and other vital settings for my fleet! This procedure works great, I just wish that the options could be passed to the device without having to wipe the handheld.
Closed Thread