Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
fb3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Default browsing with the 8100

Please Login to Remove!

i don't want to be a stick in the mud, but browsing with the BB Pearl seems like a big pain in the backside. you can't see anything much on the screen, the formatting is awful, and you can't find anything easily. if you need google search, it's hard to find and set up.

are there some tips or tricks to making browsing more useful? out of the box it seems like a loss farm. is there some way to import your IE6 or IE7 bookbarks? Is there a browser that's fit to the Pearl screen and reformats intelligently, with reasonable fonts, fo reading and surfing?

I need all teh help I can get here, so thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb3
i don't want to be a stick in the mud, but browsing with the BB Pearl seems like a big pain in the backside. you can't see anything much on the screen, the formatting is awful, and you can't find anything easily. if you need google search, it's hard to find and set up.

are there some tips or tricks to making browsing more useful? out of the box it seems like a loss farm. is there some way to import your IE6 or IE7 bookbarks? Is there a browser that's fit to the Pearl screen and reformats intelligently, with reasonable fonts, fo reading and surfing?

I need all teh help I can get here, so thanks in advance.
Generally I do not consider browsing the Net a feature of the Pearl. Mostly I don't like the size of the screen, it's too small to see anything.

Additionally, it cannot use much of what the Net is all about nowadays, including flash, streaming, and java applets.

I only use it for emergency access, which happens maybe once a month, if that.

I do use the Net access for access to download sites [BB programs, etc.], messenger and maps. But those uses are not full blown net experiences, so to speak.

Down the road when 3G and larger displays come out in a Pearl type form factor, then I will expect more from the browser, but not until then.

For all of the above reasons, I have not experimented with items on your list. AFAIK there is no way to import bookmarks, make changes in the display, etc.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
ChairmanKaga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: none
Carrier: AT&T

Some say that using the browser opera mini (www.operamini.com) is gives a slightly improved experience. Its easy to download and can be removed if you don't dig it.

Browsing on the Pearl is not a great experience no matter what browser you are using, but its way better than trying to browse on a RAZR.

cheers
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
mayoke

Model: 8100

Really?
I find browsing and surfing with the Pearl to be a piece of cake.
Are you using the Google for PDAs?
I find it really helpful as it has an option to only check the "Mobile Web." Through it, I've been able to track down some really neat "wap" sites and really expanded the use of my Pearl. (I used the PDA Google version exclusively when I had my MDA.)

As for the browser itself, I have no suggestions. I know if Opera has a browser out for us, it's most likely good. I think the browser is pretty sporty but as in most cases, YMMV. (your mileage may vary)
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
fb3

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoke
Really?
I find browsing and surfing with the Pearl to be a piece of cake.
Are you using the Google for PDAs?
I find it really helpful as it has an option to only check the "Mobile Web." Through it, I've been able to track down some really neat "wap" sites and really expanded the use of my Pearl. (I used the PDA Google version exclusively when I had my MDA.)

As for the browser itself, I have no suggestions. I know if Opera has a browser out for us, it's most likely good. I think the browser is pretty sporty but as in most cases, YMMV. (your mileage may vary)
thanks for the google idea. am dl'ing it now. hope it helps things out.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
mayoke

Good luck to ya!
I'm still playing around with my Pearl and all the "browser" settings it has to try and find what's most comfortable for me to use.

Still, using the "pda" google works really well and I hope you find it helpful.
It was a easy way to track down a lot of WAP sites and there's some pretty spiffy ones out there.

Cheers!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Dharma1521

I'm honestly surprised to hear that you find the browser difficult. I have TMO unlimited BB data / emails. And honestly I prefer the Pearl browser to my MDA browser any day of the week.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb3
thanks for the google idea. am dl'ing it now. hope it helps things out.
Be sure to try setting the font size to "small" in the Options screen of Opera Mini.
Closed Thread