BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #41
calkenneth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telenor

Please Login to Remove!

So there's only one convenience key? Right now, my 8700 is configured with the center key as the "Messages" key and the left key as the "Lock" key. What do you guys use to get to your messages quickly?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #42
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by underskybb
8800 because I like to have the newest thing, which is a rather shallow point, but that's my honest answer.
Not at all! It's actually another consideration in my mind -- I read threads saying the 8700 will get OS 4.2 "some day", but it seems to have been in beta forever. Do you see anything in 4.2 that you go "wow, if only 4.1/8700 had this.."? (maybe a better browser, etc.) Having only the Pearl I don't have the backhistory to make such a comaprison. :-/

Quote:
8800 has a better battery life
You mentioned this before -- do you have some (non scientific is ok) numbers, like 3 days versus 5 days? I love the fact that this 8100 has *great* battery life compared to S60's, those things last like 2 days max. (even the tiny E50, I was charging it all the time).

Quote:
In regard to the metal sides, maybe it will scratch, but it can't scratch more than the plastic parts, right?
You made me look. It's hard to tell because of the black/finish, but I think it's micro-scratched up as well. Honestly the finish on the 8100 is a complete negative to me, I like the look of the 8700 (blue T-Mobile) better. But then again, I went into a Cingular store and played with the 8800 and liked that special blue finish they put on it, much better than the 8100 fingermagnet.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #43
bollar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Not at all! It's actually another consideration in my mind -- I read threads saying the 8700 will get OS 4.2 "some day", but it seems to have been in beta forever. Do you see anything in 4.2 that you go "wow, if only 4.1/8700 had this.."? (maybe a better browser, etc.) Having only the Pearl I don't have the backhistory to make such a comaprison. :-/

You mentioned this before -- do you have some (non scientific is ok) numbers, like 3 days versus 5 days? I love the fact that this 8100 has *great* battery life compared to S60's, those things last like 2 days max. (even the tiny E50, I was charging it all the time).
FWIW, I rarely got more than 1 day on an 8700 and never more than 1 day on an 8707. The 8800 easily completes one day and so far, I've completed two days with the battery at 40%.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #44
bollar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by calkenneth
So there's only one convenience key? Right now, my 8700 is configured with the center key as the "Messages" key and the left key as the "Lock" key. What do you guys use to get to your messages quickly?
I have dial from home screen turned off and I push the "M" key.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #45
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by underskybb
4. Typing

I think I hate the most about 8800 is its keyboard. It's simply does not have the tactile feedback as 8700. I found myself typing the wrong key more often, and I had to pay attention to it more as well. The keys all seem very soft and soft...
So, I have the luck that there's a T-Mobile and Cingular store right next to each other (ok, across the intersection). I went into the T-Mo and typed a whole boatload on an 8700g, then went over to the Cingular store and typed a boatload on an 8800. I have no predisposition to any QWERTY device, having never used one for any length of time as a daily device.

In just my limited testing I found the exact same thing, the 8800 caused me to produce many, many more errors than the 8700. Mainly it was because I kept hitting two keys at once, or catching the side of the intended key and hitting the key next to it instead; somehow I also kept hitting the Enter/Return key a lot more as well when I was intending to hit the Backspace/Delete key. I do realize I'm a QWERTY noob and mistakes are meant to happen, but the 8700 keyboard blew away the 8800 hands down.

$0.02 USD.

EDIT: thinking about it, I think I looked at the keyboard a lot less on the 8700 as well; I didn't really pay attention to that aspect closely except I *know* I kept looking at the 8800, and I don't remember looking at the 8700 keys. Hmm.

Last edited by rivviepop; 02-28-2007 at 11:17 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #46
papiraino

Carrier: cingular
Default 8800 hotkeys

anyone out there know of a thirdparty function for programming (customizing) hot keys? ie. "alt-this" or "ctl-that" to start programs or do functions in the 8800? I want to compose an SMS from the desktop or from the email folder.... then i hit "alt-s"

any suggestions on "programmable hot keys"?

thanks in advance!!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #47
tjones60
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Returned My 8800

I returned my 8800 after using for almost two weeks. I found the keyboard to be difficult. The keyboard on the 8700 is a much better to work with (IMHO)
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #48
juvesun
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 25217811
Carrier: indosat

and 8800 i read,cant work for 3rd application
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #49
BlackBlueberryBrew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the 8700c and run Linux. I would love to be able to sync up to my Ubuntu box. I haven't found a good enough solution. Been checking out the openmoko project.

I love my BB, but I LOVE MY LINUX MORE!!! =^) ... I'm assuming the 8800 will not play nice with my Linux boxes... ???
Closed Thread