BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
pinkysg

Model: 8100
Default Help!

Please Login to Remove!

OK, so I'm having a problem with T-mobile and I need your guys' help.

The brunt of it is that I'm looking for someone to help me out TREMENDOUSLY by PMing me or e-mailing me a scan/photocopy of their UPC for a black T-mobile Blackberry Pearl. UPCs are all the same for every Blackberry Pearl, so it's not like you're sending me something that I can use to harass you, identify you, or screw you in any way, I just can't get my hands on one via a different method.

Here's the story behind why I need it:

I sent in my rebate with all of the required materials and a week later I got a letter in the mail saying that I didn't sent in my UPC, and to please send it in.

Here's the deal: I'm 100% certain that I sent in the UPC. No, not 99.9% certain – 100%. I did all of the rebate work in one fell swoop on a clean desk. I cut out the ENTIRE side of the box with all of the symbols and put it all in the envelope. I still have the box with the empty side, even. There is absolutely no chance that it was not in the envelope I sent them.

I called support and they told me that they could still accept my rebate if I sent them a photocopy of the UPC that THEY lost. I told them that if they'd go ahead and send me back the UPC that they lost, I'd go ahead and photocopy it and send them that photocopy (sarcasm, of course). So, I'm basically sh*t out of luck because they lost my UPC. How is that fair?

I asked the guy on the phone what would prevent me from going to the store and buying a new phone outright, copying that UPC, and sending that in. He flat-out lied and told me that the UPC would be different than the one on my box. I told him that that's not true, that all UPCs are the same for the same model phone, hence UNIVERSAL PRODUCT CODE. He didn't have an answer for that. He said something about the EMEI being a part of the UPS or something else that is completely false.

I tried buying a phone outright from a T-mobile store, but they said that they can only sell you a phone with a plan; they can't even sell a phone straight up, with no discounts, so I couldn't get a UPC that way.

I'm out of ideas. I just want the rebate that I qualify for and I don't want to be punished for their mistake. It seems very unfair. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Again, I need a UPC for a black Blackberry Pearl for T-mobile.

The e-mail you can send any information to is:
ragaboo42[TAKE THIS OUT]@hotmail.com
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
murphzlaw1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mo

the UPC that they want has your IMEI number on it, which IS unique to each phone. (the whole side panel/white sticker bit.)

That's why they advise you to photocopy everything prior to sending the form in.

a UPC from another phone wouldn't help you, because there is another code on there (the phone serial number, or IMEI [I think that's it]) that they need to process the rebate.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
pinkysg

They specifically told me, however, in both the letter and on the phone, that they need the UPC. I could send them a photocopy of JUST that portion of the sticker from anyone's box and I'd technically be complying with their request.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Murph is absolutely correct--if you send simply the UPC barcode only, without the IMEI # on the UPC, you will still be screwed. The TMobile rep (for once) is right. I don't like the situation you're in either, but I don't think there's a way around this situation other than pure mercy from TMO, should they accept your claim as it is.

Good luck, I feel for ya.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
murphzlaw1

okay. The rebate form I got says that they need the whole SKU sticker.

But hey, good luck with that.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
pinkysg

I think you guys misunderstand. I SENT in the entire sticker with IMEI. In the response letter they sent me, the said they have the entire sticker BUT the UPC (however the hell that happens, the entire side of my box is cut off and in that envelope, in one piece.

Both in the letter and on the phone they specifically ask for the UPC, not the UPC and other codes/numbers. So, for the rebase I sent in everything. They then told me that they didn't get my UPC and they need that photocopy, so I need a photocopy of JUST the UPC, like I said.

Thanks, guys.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
murphzlaw1

Quote:
He said something about the EMEI being a part of the UPS or something else that is completely false.

this is the IMEI that I referenced in my first post. He said (and you dismissed) that the code is part of the sticker that he needs to process the rebate.

The way the sticker is printed, I would be very surprised indeed if they lost JUST the UPC code, and not the IMEI. Don't get me wrong, I can totally believe that they "lost" the whole sticker. That's why I made photocopies of both of my phones' info, just in case.

They try to get out of the rebates, so you have to stay a step ahead of them. ;)
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
pinkysg

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, but in my phone conversation with him, he said that he was looking at my file and he saw the panel that I had submitted with the codes on it and that they HAVE that, but the UPC wasn't part of it. I told him that that was weird, since it was all on the same panel in one piece and that that part of my box was missing because I'd sent it to them, and he diplomatically said that they just needed me to sent the photocopy of the UPC (again, not the whole sticker of codes, just the UPC portion, because they "had" the rest of it, which I agree is pretty unlikely, but that's what he said).

And again, the letter said they needed the UPC, not the whole sticker, so to comply, I technically only need that portion.

I know that this is unusual, but trust me, they're not asking for the whole sticker in this situation, they're asking for just the photocopy of the "missing" portion -- the UPC. If anyone here can e-mail that to me, I'd be very gratefull!!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
murphzlaw1

all right.

once again, good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Pinky, I understand your problem completely. The problem is that TMO (actually likely their outsourced rebate vendor) lost your UPC/SKU/IMEI sticker and won't admit it or offer you an exception. Another UPC code will not do you any good, without YOUR matching IMEI# affixed with the UPC code, i.e., your cutout box side. Sending in another UPC code will just not work, regardless. But if you get one, try it and see. I'm just saying I think, at this point your only choices are too beg for mercy from TMO, or cut your losses and forget the rebate.

Last edited by JSanders; 04-03-2007 at 08:20 AM..
Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
pinkysg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders

Pinky, I understand your problem completely. The problem is that TMO (actually likely their outsourced rebate vendor) lost your UPC/SKU/IMEI sticker and won't admit it or offer you an exception. Another UPC code will not do you any good, without YOUR matching IMEI# affixed with the UPC code, i.e., your cutout box side. Sending in another _@9 code will just not work, regardless. But if you get one, try it and see. I'm just saying I think, at this point your only choices are too beg for mercy from TMO, or cut your losses and forget the rebate.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the latter. I was thinking about a Better Business Bureau complaint but, again, I have no proof. Even if I had the photocopy, that wouldn't REALLY be proof, because I could have made the copy and then "forgotten" to send the original with the other rebate stuff. This is the only rebate I've ever had a problem with (and, ironically, the only one that I've ever not made copies of everything for). I don't want to give it up, though, on principle...

Any ideas/advice on working with the Better Business Bureau?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
santafe

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Oh gee, I have had the SAME problem! I originally sent in all requested documentation before the deadline and with the help of the dealer, Yakety Yak in Sacramento and fortunately made a copy of all of it. Received a similar response described by pinkysg above. Went to Yakety Yak and the owner wrote a letter verifying everything and including copies (again) of all the required documents. Alas, the letter was returned unopened!

Recently found there is a website for "T-Mobile Rebates" and I used their form to send a query and received a canned reply to my email address. I responded by saying again that I had sent a copy of my sales slip along with everything else. In response I got the same canned reply! Emailed back and repeated everything and asked for a fax number where I could fax a copy of the sales receipt. No answer. I will not sit quietly and let $50 go. I am happy with my BlackBerry and happy with my T-Mobile service...very impressive using it throughout my recent 5 week trip to India! If it is a contracted rebate service then T-Mobile's Marketing Department should hear about this...and will.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I always recommend to customers to make a copy of all original documentation before sending off your rebate. For cases just as these! I also recommend paying a couple bucks for a signature delivery then they can't say it was never recived as a represetative of their company signed for it!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
authentic8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe
Oh gee, I have had the SAME problem! I originally sent in all requested documentation before the deadline and with the help of the dealer, Yakety Yak in Sacramento and fortunately made a copy of all of it. Received a similar response described by pinkysg above. Went to Yakety Yak and the owner wrote a letter verifying everything and including copies (again) of all the required documents. Alas, the letter was returned unopened!

Recently found there is a website for "T-Mobile Rebates" and I used their form to send a query and received a canned reply to my email address. I responded by saying again that I had sent a copy of my sales slip along with everything else. In response I got the same canned reply! Emailed back and repeated everything and asked for a fax number where I could fax a copy of the sales receipt. No answer. I will not sit quietly and let $50 go. I am happy with my BlackBerry and happy with my T-Mobile service...very impressive using it throughout my recent 5 week trip to India! If it is a contracted rebate service then T-Mobile's Marketing Department should hear about this...and will.
MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!

I had the same problem a year ago - SAME EXACT ISSUE and I had no copies so I let it go. Shame on me and shame on this probably being a revenue generating technique for TMO.

My phone and service were through Wirefly so I blame them too. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Read your rebate forms often times the rebates are facilitated and sponsored through a third party for the phone manufacturer and not your service provider

Last edited by ezrunner; 04-04-2007 at 04:58 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
pinkysg

I just filed a claim at the Better Business Bureau. They have an entire complaint section on rebates, of course, so it seems like they handle this kind of thing all the time. Let's see if TMO fights the claim, ignores it, or just says "to hell with it" and simply owns up and gives me the check I qualify for.

To be continued...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
santafe

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default T-Mobile Rebates

I do have copies of all documents originally sent and resent them. That was returned unopened!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
pinkysg

Just FYI, my Better Business Bureau complaint WORKED. TMo applied $50 to my account. I wasn't expecting them to actually respond to the complaint, so I want to use this space to COMMEND T-Mobile for holding their end of the bargain and picking up the slack that their rebate service (which is probably run by a third party) left. Santafe, you might want to consider going to the BBB online and filing a complaint yourself.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #19
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Good job guys! David defeats Goliath again.