BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Don't worry about it
Default Two Blackberries...anything I can do?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, the company I work for won't push my corporate email to my SIMM card. I am thus left with thier 7290 for my company email. I can't use that SIMM as my co. cell phone as I expense that through my division not the parent that pays my data plan. Instead I expense my 8800 plan through my division. Overall crazy yes, but I have to live with this.

Question. Is there anyway, outside what I think would work, but have not found and that is getting a dual SIMM for my 8800?

I want the email from my company's 7290 to go to my 8800. They've also disabled any auto-forwards in MS Outlook, so I can't do that.

Company Email, COmpany device
Can't use this SIMM as my Cell Phone
They won't push Email to my 8800 SIMM
They have disabled email forwarding in Outlook at the server level

My phone, my SIMM, Bill is completely expensed by my division.
Would like dual SIMMS and resolve the whole issue
Open to any suggestions to avoid carrying both

I really would like a dual SIMM capability, but is there one that works for the 8800?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Not at this point. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If the Company would allow you to access their email via POP3, you could set it up using BIS and have it go to your 8800 that way. At least it would be a work around.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

no go there....too unsafe according to the IT Folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
If the Company would allow you to access their email via POP3, you could set it up using BIS and have it go to your 8800 that way. At least it would be a work around.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Pardon me, but I disagree with your IT folks. Unless you are in some super-secret business, maybe.

Sounds like your IT folks are just trying to keep from doing a bit of work.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

And they won't allow you to but your personal email on the company BB?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can do that, but don't want to since the co. bb is a 7290 and mine is the 8800. I'd rather use the 8800 for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
And they won't allow you to but your personal email on the company BB?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think it's crazy too. Could all be solved by having us in the field bill our cell phones to them vs submitting them seperately. Heck, they pay the bb. data plan for us.

I work for Panasonic and Panasonic North America, PNA pays the data plan through Cingular for thousands of us. INternally our 14+ seperate co's have their folks submit their cell plans to their respective co.'s via expenses.

I'm sure they have their reasons, etc...but it makes it cumbersome for all of us.

Quote:
Pardon me, but I disagree with your IT folks. Unless you are in some super-secret business, maybe.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqgp
I really would like a dual SIMM capability, but is there one that works for the 8800?
This will do you absolutly no good. Unless you want two phone numbers on your BlackBerry. The SIM card does not control what device the email goes to. The PIN number does. Each BlackBerry has a unique PIN number the tells the BES server which to send your email to. The PIN number is hardcoded to the device and can not be changed.

Is the 8800 an approved device at your company? IE. can you purchase it via your normal internal purchasing method? If so, I can only suggest that you have an 'accident' with your 7290 and purchase a company owned 8800.

Quote:

Sounds like you are not, and have never been, an IT person. More often than not the rules are in place to protect you, the company, and their customers. The IT folks don't get a kick out of making crappy rules and forcing them on the users. In todays enviroment many of the rules are manditory because of government regulations.

Security is important to ANY company who does not want their information shared not just "super-secret business". Any company worth a darn places a high priority on protecting their company secrets and customer information. Do you think its okay for your bank, hospital, or insurance company to allow people to freely forward your personal information without a security concern?

Quote:
I think it's crazy too. Could all be solved by having us in the field bill our cell phones to them vs submitting them seperately.
That causes an issue too. People start complaining that you pushed an IT policy to MY BlackBerry. My employeer requires all BlackBerry devices to be company owned. Absolutely no employeed devices! If we make a policy change we get people complaining as it is. Make that same change on someone personally owned device and you would think the world had come to an end.

Quote:
...but it makes it cumbersome for all of us.
Unfortunatlly, everything in IT is a balance between security and usability. I am in IT, currently BlackBerry support for 2500+ devices, and I have seen the issue from both sides of the fence. I have to follow the exact same rules as everyone else.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 04-07-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher

Sounds like you are not, and have never been, an IT person. More often than not the rules are in place to protect you, the company, and their customers. The IT folks don't get a kick out of making crappy rules and forcing them on the users. In todays enviroment many of the rules are manditory because of government regulations.

Security is important to ANY company who does not want their information shared not just "super-secret business". Any company worth a darn places a high priority on protecting their company secrets and customer information. Do you think its okay for your bank, hospital, or insurance company to allow people to freely forward your personal information without a security concern?
No, I am not an IT person, but I run my own company, an IT company and have an advanced degree in Information Systems. Many times we tend to go overboard and use security as an issue when it really is an excuse. I agree with you on medical and financial data, however.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
This will do you absolutly no good. Unless you want two phone numbers on your BlackBerry. The SIM card does not control what device the email goes to. The PIN number does. Each BlackBerry has a unique PIN number the tells the BES server which to send your email to. The PIN number is hardcoded to the device and can not be changed.
I don't follow you...I can pop the SIM out of my 7290 and put it in my 8800 and it works fine with my company emails. I can send and receive them just fine. There doesn't appear to be a tie to the devices at all. I do this currently, usually at some tradeshow events where I would rather just get my email and forgo any calls. The calls go to my cell as normal and when I switch my SIM card back, the voice mails appear and I can return them as normal. The reason is my 8800 is much easier to carry around than the 7290.

So from what I've read, if I could pop in a second SIM card as some companies show, I could flip flop between the two cards and use 1 as my personal where I can send and receive calls, and the other for my coporate email.

Quote:
Is the 8800 an approved device at your company? IE. can you purchase it via your normal internal purchasing method? If so, I can only suggest that you have an 'accident' with your 7290 and purchase a company owned 8800.
yes/no. they have a huge supply of 7290's so I'd likely inherit a used one.

Last edited by pdqgp; 04-07-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

none of the folks I know care if they push and IT Policy on our BB's. They've done nothing so far to limit our bb use.

security wise, there are so many other loop holes at Panasonic, that email forwarding is hardly and issue.

I can forward my emails automatically if I leave my laptop up and run 3rd party software, so can limit me somewhat, should just figure a way to work it out for us. lots of us do this. They used to limit our vpn connection times but got way too many complaints and we all still use software that pings the vpn to keep it active.

Quote:
That causes an issue too. People start complaining that you pushed an IT policy to MY BlackBerry. My employeer requires all BlackBerry devices to be company owned. Absolutely no employeed devices! If we make a policy change we get people complaining as it is. Make that same change on someone personally owned device and you would think the world had come to an end.
Closed Thread