BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
BC Don

Model: 8100
Default How do I show Network time instead of my Time Zone?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry, I'm new to here. I tried searching through FAQs but didn't find what I wanted.

I'm out of my local Time Zone. Is there a way for my BB to show the local time (GMT-5) instead of what my Time Zone is set for (GMT-7) automatically or do I have to go in and change my Time Zone to GMT-5 (to match where I physically am)?

Next question, when I sync to my PC, do the TZs have to be the same?

Thanks.

Last edited by BC Don; 11-19-2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8703e (VZW): BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You have to set your device's time zone to the local time zone. This is an issue that has been much discussed, so judicious use of the forum search feature would have revealed that tidbit for you in short order.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 11-19-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Edit: I guess it was moved (???) Also listed in 8700 forum

See above for the answer

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-19-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

You may find it screws with calendar appt when you change the time on your BB. Especially if your puter (Outlook) is in one timezone and your BB is in another and they want to sync.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

I wish the BB would simply show Network time like the phones do. That simplifies things in my view.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

But normal phones typically don't have a calendar that actively synchronizes with another source. Needless to say, RIM could introduce a non-BES option in the OS that would allow your handheld to update as time zones are changed, or possibly a Calendar Time Zone that stays permanent no matter where you are.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Soapm

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
But normal phones typically don't have a calendar that actively synchronizes with another source. Needless to say, RIM could introduce a non-BES option in the OS that would allow your handheld to update as time zones are changed, or possibly a Calendar Time Zone that stays permanent no matter where you are.
I agree, it needs both Home and Current time zone settings.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
zrs70

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
The Palm Treo updates the time zone very nicely. It is a setback with BB.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I just returned from a trip to Alaska where I had to do the time zone shuffle manually. I found that the clock doesn't set to the system time automatically. It seems to use the GMT off the system time and whatever your time zone is selected as.

As others have pointed out - the problem with changing time zones is that all your appointments get shifted when you change BACK to the regular time zone.

The cure is fairly simple.

There should be an option to show the local time and also retain your home time within the BB.

I also don't see why the device could not have an option for whether you want to make appointments in your local time zone despite displaying the zone you are traveling in.

Very odd that a business device with such a widespread following doesn't allow these relatively simple features.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
CanuckBB

Carrier: Rogers

I usually just change the time. It's simple and fast.

A lot of us here are techs, we do tend to over analyze problems and always try to find a tech solution.

KISS
Old 04-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru
Very odd that a business device with such a widespread following doesn't allow these relatively simple features.
On the contrary. It changes for exactly that reason. If I have a Noon ET conf call, but travel to the West Coast, and change the time, it moves my appt back to 9am PT. If it leaves it at Noon, I miss the call by 3 hours.

It keeps things relative on purpose. That way, when if someone sends you an Outlook invite, it will show up properly, as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
CanuckBB

Carrier: Rogers

It's one of those features that both works, and doesn't.

When sending a meeting request to people across time zones, it works great because everybody sees it at the right time for them.

When dealing with meetings across TZ, and you are travelling, it works great because you always see the time relative to your TZ.

However, and this is my way of doing things, I travel a fair bit and the overwhelming majority of my meetings are local. If I'm going to be on the West coast next week and schedule a meeting for 0900, I'll enter it as 0900 because it is easier to see my day without the mental gymnastic of converting TZ. When I get to my destination, I change the TIME not the TZ.

Add to that the inability to specifiy TZ on a calendar event in Outlook.

I guess what calendaring programs need is a flag to specify that a meeting time is 'hard' time, do not change it regardless of TZ. In the absense of that, we are left with complaining about the TZ processing.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
It's one of those features that both works, and doesn't.

When sending a meeting request to people across time zones, it works great because everybody sees it at the right time for them.

When dealing with meetings across TZ, and you are travelling, it works great because you always see the time relative to your TZ.

However, and this is my way of doing things, I travel a fair bit and the overwhelming majority of my meetings are local. If I'm going to be on the West coast next week and schedule a meeting for 0900, I'll enter it as 0900 because it is easier to see my day without the mental gymnastic of converting TZ. When I get to my destination, I change the TIME not the TZ.

Add to that the inability to specifiy TZ on a calendar event in Outlook.

I guess what calendaring programs need is a flag to specify that a meeting time is 'hard' time, do not change it regardless of TZ. In the absense of that, we are left with complaining about the TZ processing.
Best outline of this issue that has been given in the many times this subject has come up.

I use the time zones and change time zone setting when I travel. If I don't want to do the math when reviewing future appointments I just change the time zone setting to shift the appontments to the time zone I'll be in. This way the appointment start times are always correct according to the time showing on the BB regardless of what time zone the BB is set to. Seems ideal to me, but that's me.