BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
lukev07

Model: 8800
Question Automatic Synchronization

Please Login to Remove!

I did a search for this, but didn't come up with any results. As a palm user, I used a program called AutoSync and I could schedule times throughout the day to synchronize my Treo. As a PPC user, I used MS ActiveSync and it would automatically synchronize changes immediately after they had been added/changed. I am curious to know whether or not something similar exists for the Blackberry? If not, I think this would be a good idea for a developer. I would pay for it!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukev07
I did a search for this, but didn't come up with any results. As a palm user, I used a program called AutoSync and I could schedule times throughout the day to synchronize my Treo. As a PPC user, I used MS ActiveSync and it would automatically synchronize changes immediately after they had been added/changed. I am curious to know whether or not something similar exists for the Blackberry? If not, I think this would be a good idea for a developer. I would pay for it!
You need your Blackberry to be on a BES for this type of synchronization.
If you're not on a BES, then you're out of luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

You can still accomplish this through a wired sync, but yes, for wireless reconciliation, penguin is right.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
lukev07

I am on a BES ... but they sync w/ Notes Domino rather than Outlook. Therefore, if I configure it for wireless synchronization, it uses Lotus Notes instead of Outlook.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I am on a BES ... but they sync w/ Notes Domino rather than Outlook. Therefore, if I configure it for wireless synchronization, it uses Lotus Notes instead of Outlook.
You can sync everything wirelessly using Lotus Notes/Domino if you're on a BES.
Find out from your BES admin if you're using at least BES version 4. Your BES admin should be able to assist in getting this up and running for you.

Are you saying you want to sync with Outlook, even though you're on a Lotus Domino BES? If so, that may be an issue.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
lukev07

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
You can sync everything wirelessly using Lotus Notes/Domino if you're on a BES.
Find out from your BES admin if you're using at least BES version 4. Your BES admin should be able to assist in getting this up and running for you.

Are you saying you want to sync with Outlook, even though you're on a Lotus Domino BES? If so, that may be an issue.
Yes, I need to sync w/ Outlook ... I can't stand Notes
Old 04-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Yes, I need to sync w/ Outlook ... I can't stand Notes
Ultimately, this is the decision of your BES admin. They can certainly prevent you from doing this.
You can try setting up your Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Memopad to sync with Outlook using Intellisync in Blackberry Desktop Manager... however if your BES admin has configured your device for wireless sync with Notes, then you're out of luck on some/all of this.

You should really take this matter up with your company IT department. We may be helping you do something that is against your company policies, and I personally don't feel too comfortable with that.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
lukev07

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
Ultimately, this is the decision of your BES admin. They can certainly prevent you from doing this.
You can try setting up your Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Memopad to sync with Outlook using Intellisync in Blackberry Desktop Manager... however if your BES admin has configured your device for wireless sync with Notes, then you're out of luck on some/all of this.

You should really take this matter up with your company IT department. We may be helping you do something that is against your company policies, and I personally don't feel too comfortable with that.
I am allowed to sync w/ whatever medium I would like. Believe me, you are not telling me how to circumvent our IT dept. I was looking for an autosync software. I cannot wirelessly sync w/ Outlook b/c our system is configured for Lotus Notes.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

I don't know any way to autosync with Outlook the way you want to.
The best you can do, as far as I know, is to just turn on autostart within desktop manager... and then any time you need to sync, just unplug and reconnect your Blackberry from the USB cable.
I don't think that you can schedule syncs at a specific interval.

Maybe Pizzle knows of another way.

Last edited by penguin3107; 04-10-2007 at 03:26 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

When you say "sync with Outlook" are you talking about a seperate e-mail account than the one you use in Notes? The BES restricts you to whatever mailbox is associated with it. BUT, you can manually sync with another client such as outlook. The only other wireless options you have are using the BIS with an external POP account, but this only redirects e-mail.

BES is the equivalent of the Activesync tools in exchange and your best bet is to convince your IT dept to use Exchange instead of Domino if you hate the note client so much. (I wouldn't hold my breath)
BES 4.1
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
lukev07

[QUOTE=ladydi]When you say "sync with Outlook" are you talking about a seperate e-mail account than the one you use in Notes? The BES restricts you to whatever mailbox is associated with it. BUT, you can manually sync with another client such as outlook ...QUOTE]

I really appreciate all of the responses. However, the purpose of my post was not to find a way to wirelessly synchronize my device, albeit the most efficient and convenient way to update my contacts/calendar, I am aware that I am unable to do so due to the fact that my IT dept has the BES hooked up to Notes Domino. We are eventually going to switch to Exchange, but are not a small company and the preliminary estimate for time/$ required to do so is staggering. The reason for my post, rather, was to find a way to automatically synchronize my device via the wire b/c I sometimes forget to synchronize my device while charging before I leave for the night.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

You could take the device off your companies BES and use outlook. I don't blame you for not wanting notes, I wonder whose idea that was???
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
You could take the device off your companies BES and use outlook. I don't blame you for not wanting notes, I wonder whose idea that was???
You're missing the point.
Taking his BB off the BES is not going to produce the desired result.
This user wishes to sync automatically without any user intervention.
He just wants to keep his Blackberry cabled to his computer, and every so often, it will start syncing.
That's simply not going to happen with Blackberry Desktop Manager... whether the user is on a BES, or not. It's not a feature.
The only way to sync (with the cable) is to initiate it manually by pressing the 'Syncronize Now' button in DM, or by connecting the BB with the 'Auto Start' option checked off.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I guess you could create a script to periodically kill and restart DM if Auto Start is enabled...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I guess you could create a script to periodically kill and restart DM if Auto Start is enabled...
But the user is on a Domino BES, which means they'll likely have to put in a password and log back in when DM is restarted. Still a manual process.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
JStats

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

How would my Admin set up an wireless automatic synchronization process of the address book for Lotus Notes, we have BES 4 SP 2 on Domino Server 7.1

Last edited by JStats; 04-11-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStats
How would my Admin set up an wireless automatic synchronization process of the address book for Lotus Notes, we have BES 4 SP 2 on Domino Server 7.1
Your admin should already know how to do this. Why would you be asking on their behalf?
If your admin needs assistance with something, perhaps that person should post a message in the BES Admin forum, rather than have you hijack someone elses topic with a completely unrelated issue.
Closed Thread