Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #21
StarmanDX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

*sigh*

It's not a SPEED issue, it is a LATENCY issue, and yes, I have seen pings from Cingular's HSDPA rollout in NYC and it is not sufficient for VOIP, period. You keep arguing that it's fine on Wi-Fi, and that's exactly what I said. It will work on Wi-Fi and not on packet data at this point in time. Maybe on EV-DO RevA, but even that is doubtful.

The HSDPA connection could be 40 billion MB and it would still have too much latency to use VOIP without getting an extremely poor experience.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #22
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

ok....if u claiming u are using hsdpa now in nyc with what? another phone or using with laptop? if with laptop..did u try it with skype?

please elaborate
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #23
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

oh one more thing...they are talking about video phone coming out in the future cuz the so called 3g network can handle it.

so tell me...mr. know it all...if video phone is coming out in future and can do video call. y is skype not possible? answer that!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #24
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Video Conferencing is already out in some areas being tested with good results....

Gentlemen, lets keep this conversation professional and polite. Thank you
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #25
kmond

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo
Exclamation

Latency is the issue. When you hear "latency," you can (especially in this case) just think "delay."

For example, I've seen reports that BBs average around 500ms-800ms latency. This means 500 to 800 milliseconds -- in other words, half a second to almost a full second of delay. Imagine that much echo on everything you say AND everything you hear on the phone. And that's with a strong connection; it could be even worse.

EVDO Rev A (currently rolling out on Sprint, but I don't know which, if any, BB models can handle Rev A) claims to reduce latency to 100ms (one tenth of a second) in best-case scenarios. That's about the max I think would be okay for VoIP. Your home DSL/cable connection probably gets more like 30ms -- a close to unnoticeable delay.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #26
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman
I have played with 2 "VOIP" solutions on my BB. Neither, however, offers true VOIP, and neither are ideal. They are both of the call-back type solution. The first is Mino wireless. The second is webmessenger for skype. Basically, you use a small app that you load onto your BB to initiate the call. The server then calls you back, so you are only being charged for an incoming call. The call is routed through Mino or Skype, appropriately. I do not like the skype solution, because it requires your computer to be on, and connected, and skype to be running. It also requires a skype out account, and the quality isn't that good. Mino, on the other hand, works fairly well. You deposit money with the company, and it deducts from your account during the call.

THe best solution I have found, however, is to use a calling card. I dial the 1-800 number, enter my code, and then just dial the number i am trying to reach. I call Europe all the time using this method, and it only costs me like $0.04/min on top of my local minute usage. When I travel, I just use a local sim, and I utilize skypein/skypeout by forwarding my US cell phone to my skypein number, then forwarding that call to my local sim, using skype's low international rates. Most incoming calls in Europe are free.

I agree. I also use mino wireless. It works fairly well like you said and it save me cash on LD Itnl calls.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #27
globalbb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers/TMobile

Try this, it is for the BB

MINO: Mobile International Network Operator

GB
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #28
itay

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman
I have played with 2 "VOIP" solutions on my BB. Neither, however, offers true VOIP, and neither are ideal. They are both of the call-back type solution. The first is Mino wireless. The second is webmessenger for skype. Basically, you use a small app that you load onto your BB to initiate the call. The server then calls you back, so you are only being charged for an incoming call. The call is routed through Mino or Skype, appropriately. I do not like the skype solution, because it requires your computer to be on, and connected, and skype to be running. It also requires a skype out account, and the quality isn't that good. Mino, on the other hand, works fairly well. You deposit money with the company, and it deducts from your account during the call.

THe best solution I have found, however, is to use a calling card. I dial the 1-800 number, enter my code, and then just dial the number i am trying to reach. I call Europe all the time using this method, and it only costs me like $0.04/min on top of my local minute usage. When I travel, I just use a local sim, and I utilize skypein/skypeout by forwarding my US cell phone to my skypein number, then forwarding that call to my local sim, using skype's low international rates. Most incoming calls in Europe are free.
I've been using a VOIP company call vopitel and they offer great plans for international calls (check them at vopitel.com). The thing is I need to call their access number and then the international number and I'm looking for a feature that will enable me to do that directly from my BB phone book. do you know of any program that does that?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #29
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomain
Hiya, does anyone know of any VOIP solutions that work from a BlackBerry? I know many for Nokia phones and Microsoft smart phones but not sure of any that would work on a BlackBerry. I just switched to BlackBerry and am looking for a way to cut international call costs.

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks.
Actually, the 7270 supports VOIP, but that's a WiFi connection - not a cellular connection.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #30
mexicansteve
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re:MINO

Quote:
Originally Posted by itay View Post
I've been using a VOIP company call vopitel and they offer great plans for international calls (check them at vopitel.com). The thing is I need to call their access number and then the international number and I'm looking for a feature that will enable me to do that directly from my BB phone book. do you know of any program that does that?
I went to the <A HREF="http://www.minowireless.com/mino/">MINO</A> site and they now have an app you can download and install to your blackberry. It claims to be able to dial directly from your BB add book. There is screen shots of it also. I don't call internationally often so i'll just stick with a calling card. But post back how this service works if you decide to use it.

8100 T-Mo

Last edited by mexicansteve; 04-12-2007 at 05:55 AM..
Closed Thread