Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
spencertaylor

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default EDGE vs edge

Please Login to Remove!

I have for the last 2 days had the lower case edge indicated and cant get the Upper case at all, there doesn't seem to be effecting any services as it normally would with lower case indicator
anyone else finding this, do you think is warrants a call to ATT? (god i don't want to be on the phone with them so I am looking here first)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Try taking that battery out for a few seconds. If that doesnt help go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Register Now. If all else fails call AT&T.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
fondoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500

what is difference betwen them two?? i've notice in some areas, its EDGE and other areas, edge..
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

EDGE = RIM Email, Internet, SMS and phone
edge = Internet, sms and phone
gprs = sms and phone only

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
EDGE = RIM Email, Internet, SMS and phone
edge = Internet, sms and phone
gprs = sms and phone only
That's not entirely accurate.

edge doesn't give you web browsing via BlackBerry browsers, or email functionality. edge means you haven't authenticated to RIMs network at all.
You may get some Internet connectivity with proper APN settings and third party software.

gprs is the same as edge, only slower.

GSM is phone and SMS only.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

GPRS is the same as EDGE but slower not gprs...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
GPRS is the same as EDGE but slower not gprs...
GPRS is the same as EDGE, but slower.

gprs is the same as edge, but slower.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Thanks for the correction Penguin. My Kid loves the 7130 and is taking care of it this time by the way! Thanks!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
intrepidus

I just got my Curve today, and was thinking about getting a data plan tonight. But, let me get this straight:

I live out in the country, and I get "edge" on my Curve. If I go pay $30/month, I'm not going to be able to get email pushed to my device? But I can still surf?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300

The reason you're getting edge and not EDGE is because you don't have a data plan. Once you get the BLACKBERRY data plan added, you should get EDGE.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
intrepidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
The reason you're getting edge and not EDGE is because you don't have a data plan. Once you get the BLACKBERRY data plan added, you should get EDGE.
Off to the store I go to inquire more. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
kashfr

Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

All of these posts are slightly inaccurate while using the BB Curve. I have browsed the internet, sent and received e-mails while edge was showing in the upper right hand corner of my screen. I know the RIM reps have told us different but I have witnessed some weird things while using the BB Curve...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashfr View Post
All of these posts are slightly inaccurate while using the BB Curve.
Show me one part of any of my posts in this thread that was even slightly inaccurate.

Quote:
sent and received e-mails while edge was showing in the upper right hand corner of my screen
No, you haven't. It's not possible.
You had an EDGE signal or GPRS.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-18-2007 at 07:01 AM..
Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #14
kashfr

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Lol. There's no argument here. I am not asking for anyones approval on what I have personally experienced. I'm just sharing my experience with you guys. There have been a few times where my coverage indicator showed a lower case edge and I powered up Opera Mini 4 beta and browsed to my surprise. I guess it may seem as if I am a rookie to technical BB issues because of my number of posts and replies on this website. Don't be fooled though. I have been able to perform the functions as I stated in my earlier post with a lower case edge showing on the screen. Why this was possible, I have no idea. Maybe its a network glitch due to at&t updating their EDGE network due to the iPhone owners out there and at&t trying desperately to deliver a rich internet browsing experience like they promised. After speaking to an at&t rep, he did state that BB owners were going to experience some changes also. i.e. Increased speeds when browsing and performing other data connection reliable functions. In exchange, we may have to experience some freaky, strange things going on with our coverage indicators for the moment...

Last edited by kashfr; 07-18-2007 at 06:27 AM..
Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I'm just sharing my experience with you guys. There have been a few times where my coverage indicator showed a lower case edge and I powered up Opera Mini 4 beta and browsed to my surprise.
No argument there, and I'm not debating that part.
If you read my prior posts, you'll see that I've indicated that web browsing with third-party browsers is possible with the proper APN settings. This is what allows you to use Opera Mini with no BlackBerry Data Plan, or EDGE/GPRS signal.

Your post also indicated that you've sent and/or received e-mail... which is simply not possible with an 'edge' signal.

Quote:
I have been able to perform the functions as I stated in my earlier post with a lower case edge showing on the screen.
Third-party web browsing... yes. E-mail send/receive... no.

Quote:
Why this was possible, I have no idea.
Web browsing using Opera mini is possible because you have the proper APN settings on your BlackBerry.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-18-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #16
kashfr

Okay. You may be 100% correct about browsing using 3rd party apps with the correct APN settings. I too have received e-mails with a lower case edge. There are times where I go from EDGE to edge unnoticeable due to the fact I just received an e-mail or just sent one and have been using the BB browser quite a bit also. The only way I notice this is when I go back to the home screen for a second while I have multiple apps running...
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #17
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I too have received e-mails with a lower case edge. There are times where I go from EDGE to edge unnoticeable due to the fact I just received an e-mail or just sent one and have been using the BB browser quite a bit also. The only way I notice this is when I go back to the home screen for a second while I have multiple apps running...
Sorry, but e-mail delivery with an 'edge' signal is simply not possible.
I realize you may be convinced that it worked for you... but I assure you, it didn't.
I suspect what is happening is that the device is switching between EDGE and egde, and it's at these times when mail will be delivered with the EDGE signal right before bouncing to edge.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #18
kashfr

Lol. It was not switching while I was browsing the BB Browser or sending e-mail. It was steady edge. I also had a problem where I couldn't load a simple page using either MediaNet or the BB browser. It could have stemmed from a glitch in my OS which at the time was .89. I don't have any of these issues on my new Optus OS with my modified .alx and .lbs files. Sorry for the trouble I may be causing in this post due to me sharing the issues I have experienced with my BB Curve. Other than these minor issues, I have not had any problems with dust under my screen, squeaks, loose trackball, stiff buttons, etc... We all have our issues though. I would hate to know that I am the only person out there while every other BB owner have at least one issue with their device. This doesn't make me as happy as I probably should be...
Closed Thread