Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
gltaylor1974

Model: 7130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Redundancy in BES servers

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

My company has a couple of BES servers, and we are wanting to look into some sort of a redundant solution. For our Exchange servers we have clusters which will fail over to a passive server if there is an issue. I see that there are a couple of vendors out there that offer a "failover" capability to another node. I was wanting to see if any of you other admins have any type of redundant BES solution and if so what vendor are you using or how is is setup? Thanks much.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
scott_perry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint, Alltel

We don't have any redundancy built into our BES solution - other than the VM is mirrored.

Assuming you are using a remote SQLServer database, about the only thing you can do is to have a backup server ready to go if your primary box failed. Just build an exact copy of your BES (make the windows name different so it can be running). You will need to make sure that the BES services are not running on both servers or you will disable your SRP. Write a script to start the services in the correct order and you are all set for bringing up the backup BES quickly. If you are ambitious, you can probably script the backup server to poll the primary BES and automatically start the services if it goes down for an extended period of time.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
P.Walnuts
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

MAke sure you have the MDS on a seperate server also or else youo will have seperate MDS databases for each BES server.

There is good docs , on teh RIM site for doing this.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
mab44

Model: 8820
Carrier: Orange

Hi,

We tried a good HA and administration solution from France.
It's named HA Software for BlackBerry, I don't know if they already sold this solution out of France.

Information on this solution : Ibelem
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
amadru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

I tried Neverfail but even the engineer from their company couldn't get it working properly and have a 100% successful failover rate. It would work sometimes and other time it wouldn't..

I have 2 BES servers, one physical and one virtual. For the physical one, I have one built identical to it with all the Blackberry services set to manual and stopped for failover. It is a manual failover as I have to login to the hot spare and run a batch file I created for starting the services, but it works. For the virtual BES I have, I cloned it in VM and have it powered off. Therefore I just need to power it on in a failover scenario.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
wunderbar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

we run our BES in a virtual enviornment, so we make a backup copy of the image every night. if the host machine dies, or the virtual machine goes sideways, we just have to load the backup image to another host machine and turn it on.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
brkdncr

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile

We do DB shipping and have a backup server located off-site, but still in our network. If all goes to shit, we just set the services to automatic, get the DB going, and restart it.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
summerfree2002

PIN: SUCKERS!!!!
Carrier: AT&T

[QUOTE=wunderbar;919508]we run our BES in a virtual enviornment, so we make a backup copy of the image every night. if the host machine dies, or the virtual machine goes sideways, we just have to load the backup image to another host machine and turn it on.[/QUOTE

We have three BES, and a sql database which runs back ups everynight. If something fails, we just restore from the night before
Closed Thread