BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Should I switch back to blackberry and is the storm worth?
Yes 54 57.45%
No 22 23.40%
Maybe 18 19.15%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
hennessysvenom

PIN: N/A
Carrier: atat

Please Login to Remove!

I think it was a bad idea for BB not to have Wifi on the new storm. Its a business phone why would you not have wifi? In the end what your desicion should come down to what would suit you better. the storm has great features that Iphone doesnt have and Iphone has great features that BB doesnt have and thats the truth. To be honest everybody should thank apple. If they hadent have come out with the Iphone than the G1, BB storm, instinct, or any other phone like these wouldnt be out right now. We would have have to waited a lot longer for devices like them. You cant blame apple or BB for trying to appeal to more people. They are both just trying to make more money. Personaly I would rather have the iphone. It has more features that I would use that BB just lacks. Plus the iphones internet browser is faster because of the Wifi. You can debate all year about what phone is better but like I said they are good in there own ways.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
tbundy

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
Makes me smile when people rattle on about the iPhone being new.

Touch screen PDA's have been around for years. I bought my first one in 2000 and I think Apple may even have had one before that.
Like Palms?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
hennessysvenom

Carrier: atat

[QUOTE=jnyost;1177210]I can't 2 days without charging any of the phones I own. I guess I must just use mine more.

Touch screens are still coming out even though the iFadPhone bombed. It still doesn't have much market share. \

wow your an idiot. the iphone has a huge market share and its only one phone. BB has tons of phones on many diff markets. On the global market the one iphone has a bigger market share than all the BB
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
That's hilarious!!!!

I guess the real question is whether you want a toy or a workhorse. If you want an iPod toy then keep you iPhone. If you want a device that excels as a phone and business device then get a Blackberry.
What's just as funny as those in the 9500 board basing the Storm for same things they bash the iphone for. What constitutes a workhorse? The iphone is very comparable to the BB. The iphone is no toy. You may not prefer it, I didn't, but I still think its a great device.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
mike2160
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Default Iphone idea

I tried an Iphone a couple of weeks ago just to have something to compare with the Storm when I got it.

Today I tried the storm out at verizon. Right off I noticed the blue glow around the typing but after pressing I saw I hit the wrong one. It would have been so cool if instead of the blue glow on the first touch the letter would have showed up enlarged so you could then see what you were actually typing. Then click.

At&t network is very poor around here and in my opinion not nearly as good as verizon. So I took the Iphone back to wait for the Storm.

Maybe later I will get the storm. More likely wait for the Niagra? I guess that will be coming to vzw next year.

I would have been more likely to get the Storm if I had not seen the Iphone.

Maybe when Storm 2 comes along I will give it another try.

Last edited by mike2160; 11-21-2008 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: add something
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #26
4Runner

Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
I can't 2 days without charging any of the phones I own. I guess I must just use mine more.
Impressive. You must really use your BB lots! My guess is you do a lot of web surfing too. I can go 3 days easily with me 8830 before needing a charge. I just don't.

Quote:
Wifi isn't a deal breaker either. I never use wifi on my iTouch so doubt I would use it on the phone. Most places I go don't have wifi.
That's too bad as WiFi is about 3 to 4 times faster for me than on 3G. It makes a huge difference on surfing. Our city has WiFi spots all over the place it seems...that and AT&T offers all iPhoners free WiFi at all of their spots so it is really nice. I thought about the iPod Touch but I wanted 1 device that could do it all so I just waited for the iPhone. My poor iPod hardly every gets used now.

Quote:
Touch screens are still coming out even though the iFadPhone bombed. It still doesn't have much market share. Hell they had to give the last one away.
Touch screens are a fad if you consider mp3 players a fad I guess. Fads usually don't last long and do not change a marketplace. Touch screens are coming to all sorts of devices now....before long it will be built into appliances at home. No, I don't think it is a fad at all. Also, don't consider a phone costing $199 and $299 as giving them away either. By any definition what Apple has done with this 1 device is remarkable and overall is a good thing for the entire industry. It is forcing many companies to place more emphasis on R&D and new devices that ultimately mean more choices for us. Its win win no matter which device you prefer.

Quote:
I have a couple guys I support that have iPhones and I hate when they call. The voice quality sucks. I make them call me back on a landline.
No, voice quality is fine....no different really than any other phone I have owned....people I call can't tell the difference as I have tested this out. I was hoping for the call quality would much better than anything else as 3G is supposed to offer that...but it just sounds like a good quality phone really no difference I can tell and certainly no worse either. If you having problems with this guys voice quality it must be network related not device.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Impressive. You must really use your BB lots! My guess is you do a lot of web surfing too. I can go 3 days easily with me 8830 before needing a charge. I just don't.

That's too bad as WiFi is about 3 to 4 times faster for me than on 3G. It makes a huge difference on surfing. Our city has WiFi spots all over the place it seems...that and AT&T offers all iPhoners free WiFi at all of their spots so it is really nice. I thought about the iPod Touch but I wanted 1 device that could do it all so I just waited for the iPhone. My poor iPod hardly every gets used now.

Touch screens are a fad if you consider mp3 players a fad I guess. Fads usually don't last long and do not change a marketplace. Touch screens are coming to all sorts of devices now....before long it will be built into appliances at home. No, I don't think it is a fad at all. Also, don't consider a phone costing $199 and $299 as giving them away either. By any definition what Apple has done with this 1 device is remarkable and overall is a good thing for the entire industry. It is forcing many companies to place more emphasis on R&D and new devices that ultimately mean more choices for us. Its win win no matter which device you prefer.

No, voice quality is fine....no different really than any other phone I have owned....people I call can't tell the difference as I have tested this out. I was hoping for the call quality would much better than anything else as 3G is supposed to offer that...but it just sounds like a good quality phone really no difference I can tell and certainly no worse either. If you having problems with this guys voice quality it must be network related not device.
I'm on the phone a lot. I'm in a tech support position and my cell phone is where everyone calls me.

Touchscreens aren't a fad. The iPhone was. It's hype and market share have really went down since the release. It's an iPod first and phone second. It'd be like taking the Sandisk Sansa and turning it into a phone. They were giving the phone away for free for a while which is what I meant by that.

Wifi is definitely faster but just doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't matter how fast it is if it isn't widely available. I travel in all of the surrounding states so I'm not in one place. You have to get into a starbucks or something to get a wifi connection.

I'd beg to differ. The 2 guys I support that have iPhones have horrible voice quality. No problem when they call me from a land line or one of them has another phone he can call me from. I think it comes from the fact that it is an iPod first and a phone second. There's nothing else to contribute the horrible voice quality to other than it is an iPhone.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Touch screens are still coming out even though the iFadPhone bombed. It still doesn't have much market share. Hell they had to give the last one away.
Bombed? Really?

Analyst confirms Apple slid past RIM to become number two smartphone vendor - Engadget Mobile

Doing pretty good for a failed product.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I'd beg to differ. The 2 guys I support that have iPhones have horrible voice quality. No problem when they call me from a land line or one of them has another phone he can call me from. I think it comes from the fact that it is an iPod first and a phone second. There's nothing else to contribute the horrible voice quality to other than it is an iPhone.
Well maybe if you actually used an iphone, your opinion might have more merit. That NOT being the case, I can say, since I DID own one, that the voice quality is fine with the iphone. I owned one for several months and while signal strength was sometimes an issue, voice quality wasn't.

And to your last point that there is nothing else to contribute to horrible voice quality other then the iphone itself, you may need to study up on cellular communications. There are a myriad of network issues that could contribute to poor voice quality completely independent of the phone itself.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
4Runner

Default Don't Bother ArgonNJ

I wouldn't bother responding to him anymore. For some reason he feels threatened by the success of the iPhone so all logic and objectivity goes out the door.

I agree with your assessment as there are so many variables with cell networks that impact performance. Again, both my BB and iPhone have nice voice quality.

@ OP - I have a friend that got the Storm on Thurs night and he hated the typing at first. I kept telling him to give it a chance and that it takes time to get used to screen typing. We talked last night and he is doing much better now and is starting to like it. He concedes he may never type as fast as with his Curve but that it might be worth it anyway. He is diehard Verizon for lots of reasons so the iPhone isn't an option for him. Anyway, it looks like the Storm is working well for him. Just some more info for your consideration. You can't always trust all the reviews.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #31
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
I wouldn't bother responding to him anymore. For some reason he feels threatened by the success of the iPhone so all logic and objectivity goes out the door.

I agree with your assessment as there are so many variables with cell networks that impact performance. Again, both my BB and iPhone have nice voice quality.

@ OP - I have a friend that got the Storm on Thurs night and he hated the typing at first. I kept telling him to give it a chance and that it takes time to get used to screen typing. We talked last night and he is doing much better now and is starting to like it. He concedes he may never type as fast as with his Curve but that it might be worth it anyway. He is diehard Verizon for lots of reasons so the iPhone isn't an option for him. Anyway, it looks like the Storm is working well for him. Just some more info for your consideration. You can't always trust all the reviews.
It took me a few days to get used to typing on my ipod touch..but now its much easier than on my 8100...the touchscreen thing is perfect, unless trying to do it without looking.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #32
4Runner

Default Touch Screen

Yes, that is why I can't type as fast on my iPhone as my 8830 as I feel the keys. Still, I have adapted nicely and the browser with all the gestures is just too good to give up.

BTW. This is being posted via me iPhone over WiFi.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #33
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t

huh, saw this today

Apple sued for patent infringement over iPhone | InfoWorld | News | 2008-11-24 | By Peter Cohen, Macworld
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #34
brichi

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

i had the iphone since day 1 of gen 1 so thats nearly a year and a half and I really can't say that the iphone is better then tha storm, maybe equal to it because the build quality is great and the glass on the iphone feels a litlle better, but I think the storm is built just as good and will be right up there once they speed the OS up via fw updates, like the iphone, on the storms first release and first public fw, it will be buggy, the iphone was a mess when it was first release.

pros i like about the storm that my iphone could not do or really struggled with

1. Mail, I have bes corporate mail that works the same as the iphone but the aol mail i added to it works better then the iphone, on the storm i can setup BIS which will push new aol mail to my BB unlike the iphone whihc needed to fetch every 15 minutes (or longer) and killed the battery quicker
2. obviously copy and paste, I do that alot and having that feature back is great
3. MMS, i can now view mms, YAY!!!! without having to go to viewmymessage.com on the worlds slowest network att, more bars my ass att
4. searching in email is great, just hold your finger on a name or subject line and it will search for all emails related on the storm
5. IMO the videos and screen look a lot better on the storm
6. AIM can now run all the time in the background and it notifies you when u have a new IM, the iphone did this, kinda, but killed the battery quicker and signed you off a lot when exiting the screen, the storms battery does not seem to be affected at all whether i keep aim running all the time or not
7. the media areas are pretty much the same as far as music, vids and pics, you browse the same way and can swipe pics the same way too
8. internet again is pretty much the same although on verizon and using opera mini on the bb, the internet is 100x faster, the browsers react and look the same though once the page is loaded
9. the storm does OTA updates so no need to plug the phone in to a computer to do a FW update
10. now that i got used to the new type of touch screen, I LOVE IT. I think the click screen response is great and I find myself correcting words a lot less on the storm then I had to do on my iphone
11. camera is 3.2mp, great pics, has a flash and does video, unlike iphone
12. battery life is better on storm
13. you can tether the storm to a computer for modem use and download from itunes, amazon, etc... on your computer which me being a dj, comes in handy on the weekends

the only thing I truly say I will miss from the iphone is the app store, i like downloading games and sports stuff but BB is coming out with there own app store, plus if i miss it that much, ill get a cheap ipod touch

hope that helps you guys out. Just to add, I am a big apple fan, all my house computers are macs (i have had 10 total so far), about 3 ipods, both style iphones, base stations, etc....... so i am not on here to trash the iphone or apple, it is a great phone, just wish it was on verizon and had more features like the new storm has
Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

I just had a chance to play with the Storm and I wasn't impressed. Sure it looks nice, but the whole keyboard click thing is a pain. As far as touch keyboards go, the iphone's is still better. That aside, I think I will stick with my regular keyboard BBs for now.
Closed Thread