BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #41
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'm in it for the email. I get lots of personal email I want to repond to quickly. I had very few issues with my 8703e. I have a Storm now and most of the problems I have I cause my self. Fun, fun, fun!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #42
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

1. Email handling. Multiple accounts all being pushed automatically and instantly to your mail folder.

2. Reliability. The more my Treo froze up, the less I could rely on it. I need reliable communication, not a toy that may or may not be working at any given time.

3. Integration of PIM functions. Mail, Address Book, Tasks, and Calendar all work beautifully together. Add in some of the REXwireless apps and you have a dominant platform.

Although the BB platform has some multimedia capabilities, they're rudimentary. The camera is mediocre, the music player serviceable but unremarkable, and the web browser is poor. If these are where your priorities lie then you might be better served with something in the Nokia N-series genre.

But if it's industrial strength communications and security you care about, Blackberry has no equal.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #43
berri_item

Model: e51
PIN: N/A
Carrier: indosat

I dont have a blackberry. Instead, i have only E51.
What's different push email on blackberry device, and blackberry connect on E51?
What's different push email on blackberry device, and timed e-mail checker on Nokia?
Usually 3G consumes more batt power. Is 3G on blackberry for push email on all times? It's should drain more batt power right?
Why BB is more secure? Show me the link? I want to check out.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #44
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by berri_item View Post
I dont have a blackberry. Instead, i have only E51.
What's different push email on blackberry device, and blackberry connect on E51?
Not sure, never messed with BlackBerry connect.

Quote:
I dont have a blackberry. Instead, i have only What's different push email on blackberry device, and timed e-mail checker on Nokia?
With pushed email it hits your device when it hits your mail box in GMail/Yahoo/hotmail/etc, the timed email checker on the Nokia simply check for email x minutes.

Quote:
Usually 3G consumes more batt power. Is 3G on blackberry for push email on all times? It's should drain more batt power right?
The 3G connection on the BlackBerry for all data/Blackberr traffic, battery life should still be very good on the Bold. (3G BlackBerry)

Quote:
Why BB is more secure? Show me the link? I want to check out.
BlackBerries on a BIS are fully secured, 256 bit AES and 3DES encryption, on BIS everything is encrypted in RIM's NOC.. There really any virus for BlackBerry *knock on wood* of course you should take normal precautions not to install any unknown apps, etc... If you go to BlackBerry.com you can do a search to find all the indepth information you want/need.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #45
berri_item

Model: e51
Carrier: indosat

Thanks for the answers.
Since it pushed by RIM since the email hits yahoo-email, the GPRS/3G connection to APN blackberry.net always active, right?
Does it consumes power like browsing ? How many hours blackberry can live on those batt just for e-mail?

End-to-end security looks nice.
So why Obama's blackberry device might concern US national security in some internet site?
I think those security just for emails, not for calls, the usual GSM right?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #46
mrobert
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130g
Carrier: Orange Romania

One of the most important things I like about BB push, is the compression that drastically reduces the amount of data used for email, while roaming on some foreign network.

I was out of the country for 4 days recently, and my costs for having the BB on all that time, was 2.69 Euros ($3.5)
Back in the old days, It was enough to do a Send/Receive from a normal mai client 2-3 times, and run up that costs.

BB saves me around $100 each year in roaming costs, for using my email.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #47
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

With all but the AT&T-branded Bolds, you can turn off 3G if you want and use only 2G. Battery life is still great with 3g on all the time for me, however.

Blackberry Connect has issues handling email attachments, plus it's a known battery killer. The Blackberry device is very efficient and a much better solution.

My understanding of President Obama's Blackberry dilemma is that it's TOO SECURE. They need to be able to record all calls and messages but the Blackberry makes that impossible. I recall reading somewhere in another discussion that Blackberrys use 2048-bit encryption, making it about the most secure platform anywhere.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #48
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
They need to be able to record all calls and messages but the Blackberry makes that impossible.
If he's on a BES then it's not impossible for them to do that. The White house does have a BES so it's just a matter of creating a special IT policy to change what he can/can't do on his Blackberry.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #49
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I dunno if he can get a special policy. Although he is the President, you know how difficult those IT guys can be with policies.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #50
pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
With all but the AT&T-branded Bolds, you can turn off 3G if you want and use only 2G. Battery life is still great with 3g on all the time for me, however.

Blackberry Connect has issues handling email attachments, plus it's a known battery killer. The Blackberry device is very efficient and a much better solution.

My understanding of President Obama's Blackberry dilemma is that it's TOO SECURE. They need to be able to record all calls and messages but the Blackberry makes that impossible. I recall reading somewhere in another discussion that Blackberrys use 2048-bit encryption, making it about the most secure platform anywhere.

According to this from the UK it's more of a matter of tracking all what the presidents says, and the BB isn't certified for top secret by the NSA. There's something by General Dynamics that is.

This also says the same thing but implies RIM is creating something extra special just for the president. They also mention the GD device approved by the NSA.

So the rules may be changing but until Obama started talking about his BB, the devices weren't good enough for the NSA.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #51
albe

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Chicks dig guys whom carry a BB

Security
Email reliability
Call quality