BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #141
bitl3ss

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobil

Please Login to Remove!

FYI the policy.bin that is linked here doesn't allow splitpipeconnections, I ended up downloading itpolicy.exe from rim (found it in besx_upgrader_4.1.4.exe under service packs) and created my own bin.

I also spoke to two dif RIM(job) support people about getting the firewall disabled on my 2+ week old 8320 and they basically told me tough sh!t. This is my first/last bb, under powered and over priced and they care not for the consumer at all. To bad overall it's not bad.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #142
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Everything available to enable was enabled in that policy.bin, including split pipe (attempt to access inside and outside firewall) because many have told me that this was fixed with this .bin.

As far as firewalls, there is no way to fix this except for having the BES push out a blank, no restrictions, policy. It's been posted here that that will allow you to open up the firewall.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #143
bitl3ss

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobil

my mistake I got it from another link in the forum. bin in ? is here Index of /dumpster/blackberry/files
he posts the inf which shows it disabled.

sucks being a newb, knowing what I know now I would still roll my own.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #144
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Mine is good. Many here have used it and had good results. They're posted in this thread and others, as well. Doing your own is great if you know how but there is no danger with mine.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #145
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

<thread soon to be replaced>

Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #146
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Will be a while yet, though.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #147
jibi
BlackBerry God

Yeah, but at least there will be an option for some people (and hopefully all people going forward). I'm doing some full testing right now. Let's just say that it wasn't as clean as I thought ...LOL! I'll explain in private.

Last edited by jibi; 11-03-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #148
jibi
BlackBerry God

Here we go:

BlackBerry: Removal of IT Policy now available * | The Boy Genius Report

Old 11-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #149
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Reminder: This is NOT a way to get around YOUR company's IT Policy. They have placed the restrictions there for a reason. You risk your job if you attempt this. Even if you do this when you reconnect to the BES the policy will be pushed back to the device anyway. You cannot circumvent your company's policy. The BB is designed to prevent this.

This is for BB's that are no longer connected to a BES and an individual user wants to regain usability of the BB.

Last edited by John Clark; 11-03-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 11-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #150
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Reminder: This is NOT a way to get around YOUR company's IT Policy. They have placed the restrictions there for a reason. You risk your job if you attempt this. Even if you do this when you reconnect to the BES the policy will be pushed back to the device anyway. You cannot circumvent your company's policy. The BB is designed to prevent this.

This is for BB's that are no longer connected to a BES and an individual user wants to regain usability of the BB.
For the new utility, it appears a side effect happened in removing the policy from the device... since it's no longer being overwritten by another blank policy (policy.bin method), it can't block the policy from the BES when reactivated. The policy is reapplied from the BES and the same restrictions will be put back on the device. LOL! Didn't see that one coming, but it makes perfect sense now that you think about it. So yeah, this will only be a waste of your time if you are using it to bypass your corporate BES restrictions, unless you simply don't want to be on the BES any longer. This is only useful for post-BES usage or reselling your device.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #151
errorhelp

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

so I have tried this multiple times with my Nextel bb 7520's i bought off ebay that came with IT policies. I think i am not understanding step 7:
"Connect the Device.
Verification
Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy"
Please explain the actual steps of what verification means. when I conect the device it asks me for the pw. should i type it in? do i do a full wipeout at this point? Any help would be appreciated. Those who have been successful please help me out. errorhelp at gmail dot com

Thank You

Also, im using BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.1.0.13 (the newest version on the nextel website) Do I need to use 4.2 from the bb website?

Last edited by errorhelp; 11-08-2007 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #152
riclesb

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

ugg !!! used this method to fix an old 8700 (bes) device, it worked great no problems. But i forgot to reedit registry when finished and when i did an update for my new 8310 (BIS) it installed blank policy.bin. now my firewall on new 8310 is locked. cant get bbsmart email, or streaming video blueapple.mobi to work browser functions denied. am i screwed? from what im reading i wont be able to remove this now, right? after feeling so good getting the old 8700 to work, i now just feel stupid for being so careless. anyone have any ideas? thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #153
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That shouldn't have relocked that stuff. The policy.bin above actually opens that stuff up. You're having another issue.

Did you re-enter the apn settings?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #154
riclesb

i hope your right. yes i checked apn settings and they are good.other browser functions work fine (operamini and blackberry browser). its an ATT phone running 4.2.2.170 (2.5.0.30) when i go to firewall setting it is set to enabled (with a tiny red padlock icon next to it) and cant change option. its never been on BES, permissions all on allow everthing else seems to work fine. was able to change setting before (i know because when i set up GPS i checked that firewall was disabled) GPS does work still even though locked to enabled now. as locked firewall was a side affect of the it policy fix i figured it must have wrote in the default policy along with the unwanted side effects. i will double check all setting again. i was hoping that it was just locked but didnt do anything as all other settings were unchecked.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #155
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Even if the firewall did lock again after applying this policy (which it sounds like may have happened,) the problems you are having are a product of application permissions, internet access, etc., not the "firewall." If everything in the firewall is unchecked then you should have access. Recheck your application permissions for the apps that don't work. You may need to reset firewall prompts under permissions.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #156
riclesb

was starting to think you were right. so i deleted bbsmart and installed empower just to see how it behaved. when it views a html mail i get the pipeline error (trying to connect inside and outside the firewall which is against your IT POLICY). so deff still doing something, very frustrated. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE 2 DEVICES ON THE SAME PC. If i can get a BES admin to add me and push a default policy will it fix this?? any other suggestions?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #157
riclesb

one more question. If i get a new unit (still within 30 days) and i back everything up. When I reload the new device the IT Policy wont come over with the backed up info will it? I would think not but just checking.

Last edited by riclesb; 11-09-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #158
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No, IT policy won't come over with the backup but make sure you remove that policy.bin from your computer. Additionally, that blank policy may not be able to be overwritten by another BES policy. I only recently heard about this issue.

As for the split pipe, many have told me this policy.bin fixed this problem for them and they were able to use all their applications. When I wrote it everything in the policy was set to allow and I even used it on one device and had no issues afterward. However, a few have said they still get this split pipe error with the blank policy. I haven't tracked which OS versions or models they were using to know why or when it happens (or even if the blank policy was applied properly.)

Unfortunatly, for several years this was the best there was for removing the policies. However, recently with the rollout of 4.3 RIM has added the "resettofactory" command in javaloader that will remove policies from devices with OS 4.3 and above on it. This is a HUGE step forward for this very problem. As soon as you can get OS 4.3 onto a device you can now remove the policy.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #159
riclesb

ok im going to try to overwrite policy if my wife office will do it for me (bummed if it cant be overwritten, is this a fact or just speculation)? if no luck will have to wait till 4.3 dont think i want to swap out for a new one too much hassel with 4.3 around the corner. By the way thanks for all the input this board is great. if i get the policy to be overwritten and it works ill update the post.

thanks again
Old 11-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #160
RageXP

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclesb View Post
ok im going to try to overwrite policy if my wife office will do it for me (bummed if it cant be overwritten, is this a fact or just speculation)? if no luck will have to wait till 4.3 dont think i want to swap out for a new one too much hassel with 4.3 around the corner. By the way thanks for all the input this board is great. if i get the policy to be overwritten and it works ill update the post.

thanks again
Hey there...im having the same issue ....firewall is enabled and cant disable it... one of my computer at work has policy.bin on it...which I have no idea of and synced my bb with it. GRRR!