BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
dannymw

Model: 7290
Unhappy Randomly getting old email (t-mob, BIS, Corp. email)

Please Login to Remove!

Since getting my BB 7290 I've had a problem getting email from my company account. Randomly (about 2 or 3 times a day), it downloads old email that I have previously seen (in groups of anywhere from 2-10). I have no problem getting new email, thos come in almost right away. But I also get these groups of old emails all the time. Even within these groups there is no rhyme or reason to it, the email could be anywhere from a 1 or 2 days old to several days old.

The problem only happens with my corporate email (BIS, NOT BES). I also download my personal SBC email and don't have the same issue.

Possible contributing factors....

1.We are running Novell GroupWise. But 3 other people have blackberry's and don't have the same issue, though they are on Nextel's network.

2. I have a little over 1000 email in my Mailbox, but while this is a lot there are people out there with a lot more and I believe that RIM has ways of dealing with this. The BB has not tried to download email that is super old, so I'm guessing somewhere there is a "only download email that is X days old".

T-mob support was not of any help. Anybody have any ideas? Clearly for some reason, the BIS is seeing old emails as new again but I just don't see why that is.

Thanks!
DannyMW
Chicago, IL
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

look up KB-03218 in RIM's Knowledge Center
while it is to do w/ not receiving email the cause is same as yours

basically w/ GroupWise POP access only shows the top 100 messages
so if you have a message at spot 100 - and you get a new one it gets moved to spot 101..right?

well since BIS comopares a list of what it saw last time to what it sees now - this email basically disappears of the radar

so - say you then delete that same email you just got after BIS grabs it and sends it to your BB - that email that was in spot 101 moves back to spot 100 and gets seen by the BIS again

however it gets seen as a new message and therefore gets sent to your BB again

SO - if your not lost at this point - 2 ways to resolve this...have your IT set your POP access to more then 100 OR (and i recommend this) have them enbale IMAP access and add account as such

hope this helps
Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
dannymw

Default Trying IMAP

Thank you for your reply. I worked with my Administrator and got IMAP going. Time will tell if this solves the problem. Just wondering, what benefit does IMAP provide over POP3?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

- it seems to be more stable
- you don't have to worry about leaving a copy on the server - this is done automatically
- w/ BIS 2.0 it marks your emails as read/unread; deletes from server and saves sent items (on most IMAP servers)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
dannymw

Default IMAP is da-Bomb!

IMAP does everything that I wished POP3 did (at least on our corporate system).

- it updates read/unread
- it deletes on the server when I tell it to
- it even puts sent items in my sent mail folder

Then only downside so far, is that it seems to be taking considerably longer for new mail to hit my BB (several minutes). Any idea why that might be?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

both POP and IMAMP are 15 min polling - sometimes it's shorter, most times its not (my experience at least)
Closed Thread