gian
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Go Mobile
Default APN settings & info

Please Login to Remove!

Hey fellow bb addicts

Lately have been becoming really irked with my carrier after various letdowns when it comes to the BIS they offer. Today I finally went down personally to enquire with regards to the APN settings which I currently don't have & therefore restricting me from using various aps. Their anwser was that "they don"t have" and that as long as I have regular internet service (browser) then it's my ptoblem basically. What they did offer was the regular APN for which I am charged extremely high costs for since it has nothing to do with BIS.

Is this in line with Blackberry service protocols? Does a specific blackberry carrier apn unique to each carrier even exist? Am I entitled to have the APN settings which form part of my BIS package?.

Just trying to get my facts right as my carrier's staff are totally lost when it comes to BB :/

Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

APNs are not part of BIS. The APN is how carriers handle connecting a browser capable phone to the Internet. Some carriers are more internet friendly than others. This is why RIM set up their MDS protocol for BES and BIS so that users wouldn't have to mess with APNs. BIS however does not provide full TCP access to the Internet, it provides mainly for web browsing.

For more information about how Blackberries connect, though aimed at developers, you can have a look at this video: Media Library
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
tony_scicluna

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: GO MOBILE MALTA
Default Using BB's full features in Malta

Hi Gian, I am a Maltese as well. Having a BB 8120 i am facint the same problems. In fact to use certain applications (e.g., gmail,maps) I have been asked to fork out 40 euros monthly which for me are a daylight roberry. Have you sorted out your problem ? If positive, would appreciate your help.
Closed Thread