Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
labberton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: vodafone
Default 8300 itunes

Please Login to Remove!

Dear All

I hear that there is an easy way to convert itunes files to put them on a Blackbery media card (basically avoid rippping), is this true?

I really dont want to rip tunes and I hear that the Media manager software will do this but i cant work this out.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

labberton, all I did was enable mass storage on the Media Card, and:

Open iTunes on the PC. Plugg in my BB to the USB. Clos any windows messages asking me if I wanted to do this or that.

Open My Computer, navigate to your Media Card on the BB.

Drag and drop from iTunes to the Media card. No ripping, just wham bam they were there.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
socaldrewski

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

are you trying to convert your itunes files (mp4, m4a) to BB format (mp3)? if so, go to your itunes preferences --> advanced tab --> select "import using mp3 encoder". then, you'll be able to highlight specific songs (or all), go to the advanced menu (not in itunes preferences.. it's @ the top of the screen) and you'll be able to "convert selection to mp3". now you can send the mp3 version to your BB. i haven't noticed any loss in audio quality by converting to mp3. just make sure your songs were "unlocked" if you bought them from the itunes store. the only way to do that is by burning them to a cd or purchasing a converting program online. for all of your *ahem* downloaded (and uploaded) music, this should work tho. hope it helps!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask
Carrier: AT&T

for all you ipod/itunes users... iTunes is NOT the only program you can use to put media on your iPod... there is another one called XPlay or XPlay 2 (i do not think you can "purchase" music using it though BitTorrent is awesome!), it allows you to just drag and drop files using just plane old Windows Folders (kind of like the "mass storage mode" for our berries, only its for an ipod)

I do NOT have iTunes installed on my computer... and have used XPlay for all my media...

If you knew this already, I apologize for wasting your time...

EDIT: XPlay 2 info link

Last edited by psyct1; 07-19-2007 at 01:39 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

if the iTunes music was bought on iTunes then it has DRM on it and must be ripped to get it off. The exception was if it was bought recently using the iTunes Plus section which is all DRM free.

The music does not need to be mp3, but it does need to be DRM free as BB will not play it.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...martphone.html

Lists all file types that will work.

Don't know how BitTorrent comes into this question but BitTorrent.com actually does "Sell" music and more.

Last edited by test54; 07-19-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
ferradas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

I always hesitate on buying music from itunes because of this. If i want to use a song in a slideshow or something, most programs don't recognize the file format.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
if the iTunes music was bought on iTunes then it has DRM on it and must be ripped to get it off. The exception was if it was bought recently using the iTunes Plus section which is all DRM free.

The music does not need to be mp3, but it does need to be DRM free as BB will not play it.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...martphone.html

Lists all file types that will work.

Don't know how BitTorrent comes into this question but BitTorrent.com actually does "Sell" music and more.
i actually use azureus which has no "search" or "buy" feature on it... just figured bittorrent was the most used... it comes into play on how you get your music...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
unsung

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A

I opened PocketMac and and simply dragged the songs from iTunes into the music folder on my BB. It was really easy.

They were not purchased songs but ones I pulled off of my CD's.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
i actually use azureus which has no "search" or "buy" feature on it... just figured bittorrent was the most used... it comes into play on how you get your music...
yes but 99% of the music your getting from azureus is going to be illegal. And using bittorrent to dl that stuff is not smart unless you hide your identity.

I myself cannot recommend stealing music, I like iTunes because it is the easiest method of getting legal music, podcasts and tv for my ipod. I really do not like the BB media player so dont bother with converting for BB.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #10
labberton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: vodafone
Default 8300 (curve) - itunes convert

Thanks for your help.

I have sorted this out, what I have done is install Blackberry desktop manager 4.2.2 and it includes a Roxy manager, I opened up Desktop manager, and then opened Media Card. It opens Roxy (splits the screen into 2), you can they drag and drop from your itunes folder at the top onto you media card at the bottom, and it converts it!

Simple as that.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Try program SoundTaxi. Takes any and all (downloaded content too) from Itunes and converts to mp3 for BB. Also allows increased sampling rate so sounds great too.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8100 View Post
Try program SoundTaxi. Takes any and all (downloaded content too) from Itunes and converts to mp3 for BB. Also allows increased sampling rate so sounds great too.
What do you mean "downloaded"? If you mean "bought from iTunes Store" then that's impossible or illegal (unless it's iTunes Plus). If you mean downloaded from the web/BitTorrent/etc vs ripped from CD, then that doesn't mean much since a file is a file, regardless of source. It's not like the BB knows where you got an MP3 from. The one concern should just be around DRM.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

soundtaxi is just a program that strips the DRM off of the files without having to rip them. It is from Ukraine or somewhere and is illegal here but i guess if your stealing music you might not care about this.

The site says nothing about improving bitrate, which im not sure how it could do anyways. Also other than being illegal, it costs money, hmm sending money to an unknown small webcompany...I find that part funny.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Jelly Bean

Model: torch
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
labberton, all I did was enable mass storage on the Media Card, and:

Open iTunes on the PC. Plugg in my BB to the USB. Clos any windows messages asking me if I wanted to do this or that.

Open My Computer, navigate to your Media Card on the BB.

Drag and drop from iTunes to the Media card. No ripping, just wham bam they were there.
lol...cool, now I know why I enabled the mass media storage...will try this sanders...thank you!
Closed Thread