Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
tcrabb

Model: 7230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Cool Data connection

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I bought an unlocked 7230 BB from eBay - put my SIM card in and loaded the handheld software (OS, and core apps) from Vodafones UK site.

I am using my Vodafone PAYG SIM card. The phone functions fine but I cannot get internet set up. My previous phones - both Sony ones just connect to the Vodafone Live service effortlessly, paying per kB of data downloaded.

I have read that you need a Data Plan specifically for Blackberry. However I cannot see why this why should be the case -

If the phone does basic data comms it should be able to be configured to work in the same manner as my previous phones. It is supposedly a smart phone and can be fully programmed by the user with OS and custom settings.

Yes, I know they are designed to use this Enterprise Server nonsense but I would prefer to skirt around this and just use the same WAP settings as on my previous phones for basic internet capability.

Is there a tech guru that could shed some light on this?

(Ok, just found the instructions for this in Sticky at top and found Vodafones APN details in the "Might Work" list. I have entered these but I cannot find icon for browser - definitely installed as it appears in application details screen - ????)

Thanks.

Last edited by tcrabb; 08-11-2007 at 04:06 AM..
Old 08-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
bobby9201

Model: 7250
Carrier: Alltel

Hello, I actually have a blackberry 7250 on alltel, which is CDMA and not GSM, but I was able to get data over wap without a data plan. I didn't have to do anything, just installed Opera Mini, it determined my connection and worked fine. The reason that you aren't seeing the browser icon is because you don't have service books saying that you have a data plan. I'm not sure if this will work for you. Two things to watch out for though. 1. The blackberry I have will connect to the data, all the time, so watch out for that. Yours may let you shut off the data services, so you can shut that off when your not using it. 2. They probably will find out you are using a blackberry and using data without a plan, and cancel your service, or charge you massive fees. Bottom line: It may work, but the data charges may be expensive and the carrier may find out you are doing this.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Solo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Viva

I have read once in pinstack that APN address and Opera Mini are enough to have web on Blackberry.

Guys does anyone aware of this?
Does this work for Pearl?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
tcrabb

Well I have spent a while reading through the posts and I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Internet is possible via GPRS on certain networks - someone has reported success with another network here in the UK, merely by setting the APN details.

2. I am on Vodaphone, UK and like others I have had no joy getting net access configured with mini-opera. I am convinced they somehow detect the device is Blackberry and automatically deny any data connectivity, hence pushing customers onto contract tariffs.

3. Needless to say I am very pi$$ed off - this so called smart phone should do at least what my old phone does - I now find it does nothing. What a joke.

4. Tomorrow I was going to put it back onto eBay for 99p - hang on no I think I will get more pleasure by dropping a heavy brick onto it and then placing the remnants into the bin where it truly belongs.

Last edited by tcrabb; 08-12-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The gprs data (TCP/APN settings) doesn't work on all networks. Is the PAYG a prepaid plan? Data works even less often on prepaid plans. The Blackberry is made to work on Blackberry Data plans.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
Solo
Thumbs Must Hurt

I succeeded to connect to web without data plan!!!!!!!!!!
Just need APN and Opera Mini )))))))))

That is the best news for me today!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Congrats. When you need complete email/data functionality, get the Data Plan.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #8
Solo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks JSanders. I'd love to but unfortunately my current carrier does not provide any service for BBerries (I think they have not even seen BBerry phone )

The only thing that I can do now is to check e-mails via Opera. No e-mail client, no MMS.

I guess the Messaging clients will not wotk with my current connection, will they? Please advise.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
tcrabb

BTW, is there any software to allow internet via USB cable on BB such as the Softick that exists for PalmOS? I would like to see browsing capabilities before considering a contract phone (I say phone because all contracts here in UK are for phone + service together).

I think I will keep my unit after all - I am a Java programmer and I think I will download the BB JDE and have a play around with it. I have recently been working on an mechanical engineering (fluid flow) application which would be fun to port over to the device.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Solo, yes push email requires the Data Plan.

Tcrabb, I don't know of a way to allow internet via the USB. The BB is intended to be a wireless device.
Closed Thread