Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Why is everyone copying Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Now I am a big fan of Blackberry and pretty much all of its products. But the over all form of most BB's leaves a lot to be desired. I mean its a great pda/ mobile email device but the phone aspect of it is lacking. I mean without an ear piece talking on at current BB just plan sucks.

But I'm looking on Cnet (and any other "new phone" type website) and all you see is how many other companies are coming out with phones that are so smililar to the blackberry. I mean you got the motorola Q, Nokia's new E61. There are few more that look damn near exactly like the BB but its sunday and I've been drinkin a few beers while watching the Raiders lose and I'm not thinking 100% right now. But it just seems like everyone wants to come out with their own version of a BB.
It just might be a good thing because now BB is getting a lot of competition (previously the only competition was the treo and with all the problems that it has it never really measured up in my book) and they will be forced to step up their game and provide the same great service with better devices. Better in form cause the function is pretty good already.

Just a random thought thats all.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

you ever see the price of their stock at its peak? i think that says it all, to be honest. market growth in wireless communication is at an all time high and still climbing. the simple answer is money.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
europamo

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Well you can see that Treo will be running MM 5.0 with the 700. So you see the
haste to compete.
To be honest, I would like to see better devices, running Liunux( I do believe there are a few phones running Linux in Europe)/windows or Mac, have good processsors, more memory, expansion, mp3 player, better camera.
Its getting there, before we all know it, we will see this ultimate device to replace all of our handheld devices. Until then if you just have to pick a device and go with it.

I chose the BB, because of the email aspect, because I use more email then talking. The second thing is I have Nextel, which make my choices a bit slimmer, but getting better.

BTW I hope the Raiders do better I have Lamont Jordan on my fantasy team.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by europamo
BTW I hope the Raiders do better I have Lamont Jordan on my fantasy team.
Jordan will always have at least 100 yards receiving/rushing and at least 1 touchdown damn near every week. He is a worthy fantasy player every week.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
compscibOi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

I will always remember Nokia as being the pioneer of the HUGE BLOWOUT of eveyone owning a cell phone.

Just as I will always remember RIM with their BlackBerry as the pioneer of push email / phone PDA's All else from here on out are posing copiers.

Im still a true Nokia fan and will always be a BlackBerry fan - all other companies can shove it - get your own NICHE POSERS!
Old 10-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Concept

But I do agree with yall. BBs started it all with the push email thing. Now everyone is just now finally catching up with what BB has been doing for a while now. Now that everyone is playin g catch up BB will put out an end all device (maybe the 8700) that will be the ultimate mobile office. But I truely think that not this wave of mobile office devices but the next wave (maybe 3rd/4th Qtr 06) will be the end of the PDA as we know it. It will not be a stand alone device anymore. It will be a cell phone / pda hybrid (like the BB) with anywhere wifi through cellular service like verizon is puttin out now, and wireless sync with outlook or similar PIM type program. The wireless world as we know it will change here in the next year. I think most of these new phone/pdas coming out now are just catching up to what other companies already have but finally putting them in a all in one device. The next wave will be major improvements on whats coming out now and be the end all for mobile offices. You will have your basic phones with 3.1mp cameras, mp3 players with video capabilities (for the cool kids), and then you will have to mobile offices with email, web, pim, camera, and mp3 all wirelessy synced with your home computer (for those who actually use their phone for work). Then it will just be a race to see who can put it all in the smallest device. I think Motorola has the best overall package right now simply because its so thin. Its still wide as hell though.

Last edited by Concept; 10-16-2005 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

did he just say that he'd like to see a handheld running the MacOS?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
europamo

Quote:
all other companies can shove it - get your own NICHE POSERS!
bah, i have to disagree, I think its great the competition. It pushes each company to step it up a notch. I used to have nothong but Nokia, but now I seem to fair better with Moto.(Not just because I use nextel) Even when I lived in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
did he just say that he'd like to see a handheld running the MacOS?
LoL only to appease them. Im not one myself. It just gives more options I guess, and I have a feeling one day Apple will try it.

I know alot about LJ, Im from NYC and a huge Jets fan. Im glad to see he went somewhere where he could start. 2 TD's so far, but only 36 yards as of this post.

Last edited by europamo; 10-16-2005 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: mispell
Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Concept

Quote:
I know alot about LJ, Im from NYC and a huge Jets fan. Im glad to see he went somewhere where he could start. 2 TD's so far, but only 36 yards as of this post.
He's good for about 12-15 points a week for fantasy. Either from rushing, receiving or from touchdowns he will get over 100 yards per game with a least one touchdown.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
europamo

one side note, that annoys the hell outta me, the thing that bugs me most is I wish all these devices could either be accesable to all networks or the world comes up with one type of network. That is another reason why making a selection ona particular device can cramp you.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
ToneBoogie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Everyone follows the trend setter ;)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Motorola Q
Nokia E61
Treo 700
HP 6500
BB 8700

'Tis going to be a good 12 months.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #13
jibi
BlackBerry God

it'll be very doubtful that apple will ever go into the mobile phone business. its too competitive of a market as it is, and its only getting moreso. i do see that there will be handhelds based on linux and/or bsd - i hear that RIM is already doing the research as is Palm.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
one side note, that annoys the hell outta me, the thing that bugs me most is I wish all these devices could either be accesable to all networks or the world comes up with one type of network. That is another reason why making a selection ona particular device can cramp you.

I understand but homogeneity is definitely a weakness as well as a benefit. While it would be convenient to have all networks using the exact same technology it would also mean that any flaw in one system would likely be a flaw in all other systems. Diversity and competition are defintitely both good to have in the marketplace.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
europamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I understand but homogeneity is definitely a weakness as well as a benefit. While it would be convenient to have all networks using the exact same technology it would also mean that any flaw in one system would likely be a flaw in all other systems. Diversity and competition are defintitely both good to have in the marketplace.
Basically, I travel alot, and switching phones sucks, thats all.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
HP 6500
Thats the other one that looks just like a BB that I was thinking of but couldn't find.