BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
DenzelHanks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Image attachments are stripped in Outlook 2003 when they are sent through mms !!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

We have a strange issue. Some of our users their camera phones to send pictures to the work email for business reasons. We have Outlook 2003 client and they are on ATT and send the pictures via MMS. For the past month or so Outlook does not seem to recognize the attachment. The users get the email but the image attachment is stripped off. I tracked the emails and they are passing through our spam fliters, antivirus and exchange. Also, OWA will show the picture as well. So the picture is in the email, but it is not visible to Outlook only. I have tested this on Outlook 2003 as well as 2010 on different networks.

If the message is emailed, it will show up in Outlook. But if the picture is sent as mms then it wouldn't show up in Outlook. Nothing has changed on the clients end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Some security settings on the Outlook server or users PC may think these are viruses.
The easiest method is to use the email method. Sending via text is limiting and possibly the size of the photo is exceeding the limits.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
DenzelHanks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Some security settings on the Outlook server or users PC may think these are viruses.
The easiest method is to use the email method. Sending via text is limiting and possibly the size of the photo is exceeding the limits.
Thanks for your response tsac.

I did some investigation on this issue and found something which makes me believe that it is true.

Since we are sending MIME-encoded message that includes an inline attachment it seems to be that Exchange's Content Conversion engine is setting a MAPI property on the message to tell Outlook to “hide” the attachments. The code only seems to do this if the MIME is formed where the Content-Disposition MIME header is set to “inline”. This is definitely a change in behavior from Exchange 2003. A bug exists in Exchange 2007 when a message with ‘inline’ attachments is delivered. This bug causes Outlook 2003 to not display the message attachments correctly. Exchange handles multipart/related specially - i.e. it considers all attachment parts inside multipart/related as “inline”. Such attachments are normally hidden from the attachment list and supposed to be accessible from the body itself, like inline images. Some clients, like OWA, can determine whether attachments are really “inline” by analyzing a message body - if they don’t find any reference to such attachment in a body they fix it by displaying it in attachment list. Other clients like Outlook will trust how attachments are marked by Exchange and hide them.

Microsoft has a solution for this. So I will try it and keep everyone posted about the result.

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

Hey Denzel,

Any update on that Microsoft fix you talked about? We just noticed the same thing happening and when I googled it, I found your post.

Thanks!

h