BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Dash beat the Curve on cnet prize fight.

Please Login to Remove!

Just like the 8800 the Blackberry looses again. I think the Curve is 1000 times better then the dash.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The Dash is the cheapest feeling, poorest build-quality data device on the market...at least that I know of.

Cnet continues to be the National Enquirer of tech review websites...I imagine they are easily influenced by sponsor investments.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Bratan

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

I actually have both, and I think the Dash feels much nicer in the hand, with its rubberized backing. The keyboard is better on the Curve, though.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

ooops

Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-07-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

This tells ALOT about CNET.

The Dash is in a league of it's own and the Blackberry has little to fear from it!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
The Dash is the cheapest feeling, poorest build-quality data device on the market...at least that I know of.

Cnet continues to be the National Enquirer of tech review websites...I imagine they are easily influenced by sponsor investments.
The dash is in fact a good phone. HTC builds high quality devices. Say what you want about the windoze OS but the phone itself is nice and feels nice. Dont beat on something because you feel like it.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
jojo6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

cnet never gives blackberry any respect. all they care about is if the device plays video and takes pictures.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
The dash is in fact a good phone. HTC builds high quality devices. Say what you want about the windoze OS but the phone itself is nice and feels nice. Dont beat on something because you feel like it.
We all have our own opinion and I have to agree the the Dash felt horrible to me. I don't feel like beating up the HTC Dash, but it is how I perceived the build quality.. We all "perceive" differently

Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-07-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

I have to agree with xxaarraa, the Dash does feel good in the hand, real solid!
The rubber back to me is real comfortable! However, I'm not a fan of the keyboard! Now If we're talking about feel and build, the Dash is killer! But when you get inside it, that's we're it faults! Headache city, Windows is a nightmare, and the Dash is not breaking any records in speed with it's slow processor. To me the Curve has it beat in just about every catagory!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

The Dash? You gotta be kidding me right.

I don't think that thing would beat out the 8100, the 8700, or hell the 7130.

What the heck is CNET smoking.

Too bad Blackberry out sells all the other PDAs combined.

Then again its like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
CrashPush
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2404E72F
Carrier: at&t

Everyone I know that owns a Dash says this to me... "it's a POS!" I swear. I show them whichever blackberry I have during the moment and they fall in love with it right away. After playing with the Dash for a little while, it could never hang with any of the Blackberry's on the market in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

It is all about perceptions!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

how many of you actually watched the video? Cnet compared certain features, and assigned points based on their evaluation of each phone's implementation of those features. The main reason the Curve lost is the exclusion of WiFi, which the Dash has. Now, I am a rabid BB fan, but I do have to say that at this point, the Curve is on par at best with many other smartphones, in relation to features. I won't get a Dash, and I will get a Curve (WiFi enabled for TMo, thank you) but that still doesn't change the fact that there hasn't been much in the way of technological advancement since the release of the 8700. New OS, trackball and packaging = Fresh lipstick, new dress and a dye job. Certainly nothing groundbreaking.

And I agree with most of you, if they were comparing build quality, the Curve would have won the showdown. But they didn't...they compared features, and without WIFI and video recording, I can see how they chose the Dash.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by sjsilverman; 06-07-2007 at 02:57 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4

Blackberrys will always be just that.......blackberrys. They will never be the most cutting edge pda from a technological standpoint, or the best built pda available. They will always have a following of bb fanatics that refuse to see them for what they truly are and who will insist on seeing them as much more than they will ever be. They will (probably) always be the best push email solution available. That's why I keep one in my front pocket at all times.......email to go.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I was offering my opinion...and I believe anybody could see that. I have handled several HTC Dash devices...and stand by my opinion. I am not trying to "beat on something because I feel like it". I am just giving my personal thoughts. If you don't agree...fine, I don't have a problem with that.

Don't get your feelings hurt because someone has a different idea than you have...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic View Post
Blackberrys will always be just that.......blackberrys. They will never be the most cutting edge pda from a technological standpoint, or the best built pda available. They will always have a following of bb fanatics that refuse to see them for what they truly are and who will insist on seeing them as much more than they will ever be. They will (probably) always be the best push email solution available. That's why I keep one in my front pocket at all times.......email to go.
You hit the nail on the head. I currently have an 8703 and the only reason I'm interested in upgrading to a Curve is form and the camera. Otherwise, the multimedia stuff I don't really care about. The reason I originally switched to a BB from a Treo was that the BlackBerry does exactly what it claims to do. All of the bells and whistles of WM machines sound nice in theory, but they never work the way they claim they do. With my Treo 700w, there was always some headache.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
hnwosu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

You guys are funny, in all reality I think that the whole review was flawed, especially because the Dash is for T-Mobile which is really the only reason why it has WiFi.

So if you just change that category, with the upcoming 8320, with WiFi. Guess what she has no other choice but to give both phones 5 in the connectivity category. Giving the Berry an extra 2 points and also putting it on top at 22 to 21. Simple math.

And it is a bad head to head review. Always compare phones on the same network. Many times call quality is dependent on network also, not just the phone.

Also, You gave the Dash a 5 because it can do IM well. Seriously I think email is a little bit more important than IM. Especially because for T-Mobile's IM is just a glorified SMS sender. Yes we all know T-Mobile users who use IM are charged for each IM as an SMS. Soooooo why did it get a 5 again.

Anyway I can go on for days, but in the end the review is completely useless.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I have tried many WM5 phones. That OS is a nightmare.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I have tried many WM5 phones. That OS is a nightmare.
I AGREE! My Experience with it has verified that too.

You are absolutely, positively, certainly, assuredly, exactly, surely, definitely, undoubtedly, unquestionably...Correct!

By the way they just rushed out ver 6.1, and guess what!

You are absolutely, positively, certainly, assuredly, exactly, surely, definitely, undoubtedly, unquestionably...Correct about ver 6.1...

Cheers... and thanks for the clarification, you've done those without WM experience a great service!........
Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
EvilHomer

Carrier: Cingular

CNet knows about as much about reviewing hardware as Bill Gates does about fair buisness practices. Noda...

They often misquote features, either including ones the deivce doesn't have or excluding those it does. They review like someone that has used the device for 5 minutes. As stated before, they are the National Enquirer of product reviews. They put little effort into reporting the truth in anything. Unless you actually spend a few weeks with the device, make lots of calls from various parts of town, add 3rd party software, etc., you just aren't going to get a feel for the usability or stability of the device.

Also, stating that a device is a winner over another based on a feature comparison is utterly stupid. That's like saying my friends Hyundai is as good as my BMW becase they both have the same features: power windows; leather seats; sunroof; power seats; auto transmission.... you get the point. They may have the same features and hey, my friends Hyundai has a longer warranty than mine so it beats it in that category. Does it make it a better car? Is it a clear "winner" over the BMW?

Blah. Professional reviewers are a waste of time and money. Just like movie critics. The blogs and forums have the real, valulable information such as this one. People who use these devices in the real world. Who really cares what Siskel and whatever sidekick of the week think about a movie? Talk to your friends and co-workers. Talk to someone that watched a movie for fun and not for the specific intention of finding fault with it. Same for your technology.

If you want to know the real story, talk the the folks in the forums.