Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Scalfi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default STORM - Overall Impressions

Please Login to Remove!

I have had my Storm since last Friday. After 3 initially painful days of data updates and serious battery drain, I can finally report that since about 5PM last night, my Storm is finally working great.

A couple of things, I do not like the phone interface because you cannot get the full qwerty keyboard. I have worked around this by dialing directly from contacts.

My daughter has an Itouch... don't expect the Storm to perform the same way... there is some lag when viewing pictures etc. But overall it isn't bad, and doesn't bother me.

I have gotten used to the touchpad and can now type as fast as I ever could on my Curve.

Word Mole is extremely addicting.

The camera takes great pictures and... while not the fastest in the world, about as quick as my Curve.

I have been a bb user since 2004, I am a BES administrator with 89 users. I have personally owned the 7750, 7250, 8703E, World Edition and Curve... which were all very similar. The Storm is a pretty dramatic change from the others, but in my opinion, a good one.

If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

i too love my storm but a question for you when can you not get the qwerty keyboard??
Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
y2kcbr
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3049E825
Carrier: Verizon

1 question..

Are you recommending the Storm to your users?
Im a BES admin as well and we have 110 users. Of those, me and an Attorney are the only two with the Storm. THe attorney is having a lot of issues (Im trying to tell him it's OS, however Im beginning to thing PEBKAC). My Storm hasn't had any notable issues other than battery drain that I corrected after disabling GPS and IM chatter.

My answer, Im recommending it, however after I install the first (of many) updates after .65 is addressed.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
y2kcbr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
i too love my storm but a question for you when can you not get the qwerty keyboard??

When in portrait mode.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

The key for me is typing on the keyboard. You say you can type as fast as on a Curve. That's reassuring to hear. Is that in landscape full qwerty mode?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Scalfi

When I push the green phone button, it will only display the phone keypad, with no landscape option.... same with the call log screen... which is what I used to always call from on my Curve... just start typing in a name... and voila!

But the Storm won't give me the option for landscape mode and the full qwerty keyboard. (there is a ghosted out icon of a full keyboard in the lower left of the screen in portrait mode.)
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Scalfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
The key for me is typing on the keyboard. You say you can type as fast as on a Curve. That's reassuring to hear. Is that in landscape full qwerty mode?
Yes. That is the only way you get full qwerty.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Scalfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcbr View Post
1 question..

Are you recommending the Storm to your users?
Im a BES admin as well and we have 110 users. Of those, me and an Attorney are the only two with the Storm. THe attorney is having a lot of issues (Im trying to tell him it's OS, however Im beginning to thing PEBKAC). My Storm hasn't had any notable issues other than battery drain that I corrected after disabling GPS and IM chatter.

My answer, Im recommending it, however after I install the first (of many) updates after .65 is addressed.
No, I wouldn't recommend it for the majority of my users. The only reason is that the crazy variety of users that I have requires me to get more durable devices, like the 8703e.

If you have users that are mostly in an office environment, and won't beat the crap out of it, then I don't see why you couldn't recommend it.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

i can type reallly fast with both keyboards now so that isnt a problem. i am also hearing that the big OS update in April will address this dialing issues along with a few other suprises
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

In April? I'd be really surprised if it's that far away.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
keesh70

Model: 8830

Like you, I've had my Storm since last Friday. The bugs don't bother me so much, but the keyboard is really getting to me. I'm a power user and use my BB for email and texting a LOT. Any tips on mastering the touchscreen keyboard? I know the keys highlight, but when I depress it either I'm hitting the key below, above or next to it. The rest of the quirks I know will be fixed with an update. It's just the keyboard that's really getting to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
i can type reallly fast with both keyboards now so that isnt a problem. i am also hearing that the big OS update in April will address this dialing issues along with a few other suprises
April..... If it takes that long they'll be alot of Storms being used as paperweights... I doubt it'll take that long, most likely Dec/Jan, maybe even sooner if Rim and Verizon get there heads out of there Butts..
Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
PDXbyStorm

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesh70 View Post
Like you, I've had my Storm since last Friday. The bugs don't bother me so much, but the keyboard is really getting to me. I'm a power user and use my BB for email and texting a LOT. Any tips on mastering the touchscreen keyboard? I know the keys highlight, but when I depress it either I'm hitting the key below, above or next to it. The rest of the quirks I know will be fixed with an update. It's just the keyboard that's really getting to me.
Find the forum (I can't post links yet) that talks about putting paper/business card behind the battery.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalfi View Post
When I push the green phone button, it will only display the phone keypad, with no landscape option.... same with the call log screen... which is what I used to always call from on my Curve... just start typing in a name... and voila!

But the Storm won't give me the option for landscape mode and the full qwerty keyboard. (there is a ghosted out icon of a full keyboard in the lower left of the screen in portrait mode.)
I was thinking the same as you but as an iphone owner took it one step further by missing my "favorites" screen which is apples touchscreen version of speed dial. So what i did was make the contacts my default view when hitting the green button and creating 6 new contacts that i frequently dial with the letter "A" in front of them. So now everytime i hit the green button im staring at these 6 contacts and can call them right away.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
y2kcbr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalfi View Post
If you have users that are mostly in an office environment, and won't beat the crap out of it, then I don't see why you couldn't recommend it.
That's what we have here. I'm not too inclined to recommend it however, too many OS issues that users will be calling me on. Not that I control the OS mind you!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
BR14

Model: 8820
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesh70 View Post
Have you tried changing the touch pad sensitivity settings?

They're somewhere in the options - though I've only actually seen the settings screen in the simulator.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
asymmetricblog

Model: 8330

I like it a lot. I'd probably prefer the Bold, but this is a fine device and a lot of fun to own. I don't have any frustrating problems and can type very fast with it. The key is to aim for the middle of the letters- you can't be sloppy.

Would I buy again? Yes!

Last edited by asymmetricblog; 12-01-2008 at 05:14 AM..
Closed Thread