BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Bicc

Model: 8100
Default Problem connecting to PC

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I'm a new poster. I bought a Pearl 8100 yesterday. I've used the regular phone, SMS, and camera so far, all OK. Not tried wireless yet till I'm in the right environment; at the moment I'm at home.

My problem is this: when I connect it to my PC using a USB cable, the messge 'no device found' is displayed. The Device Manager properties shows 'disconnected' when set in either COM3 or USB. I've tried two separate cables.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicc
Hello, I'm a new poster. I bought a Pearl 8100 yesterday. I've used the regular phone, SMS, and camera so far, all OK. Not tried wireless yet till I'm in the right environment; at the moment I'm at home.

My problem is this: when I connect it to my PC using a USB cable, the messge 'no device found' is displayed. The Device Manager properties shows 'disconnected' when set in either COM3 or USB. I've tried two separate cables.

Any advice appreciated.
There was someone else who had this problem.

First, did you install Desktop Manager from the disc included in the box? If not, remove the DM that you downloaded and installed, then reinstall DM from the disc.

The disc has a driver for the USB port.

If you did install the DM from the disc and that is not the problem, then open DM and connect your Pearl.

Then click <options> from the dropdown menu.

Then click <connections>

Then click <detect> and it will find your connection port and connect.

Also make sure the cable ends are firmly inserted. It's easy for the mini USB plug to look fully inserted, but it is not.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Bicc

Thanks for that rapid response, SF. I have loaded (and reloaded) Desktop Manager from the CD. I've set the 'detect' on the connection option, but still no device found. The mini plug into the device doesn't seem to go all the way in , and that's true of two cables I've used so far. I can't push the connection in any further.

I've used USB cables for other devices in the same PC port without problems.

Does this sound like h/w or s/w problem to you?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
lupin3rd

Yes I have this problem as well. When I connect my Pearl to my desktop, the little bubbles in the bottom right corner show up and you hear that "USB Connected" sound in Windows. The autoplay even pops up for the microSD card I have in the phone. The phone's screen also shows the charging icon. However, the Desktop Manager still sees no blackberry and says "Disconnected" all the time. Obviously the USB is working since I can access the memory card, but not anything else. Any help?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Bicc

I had that exact problem , but finally got my BB Desktop Manager to recognise the device via USB. In Device Manager, under USB controllers, double click USB root hub. In 'properties' go to Drivers and uninstall. Still in Properties click Action, and Scan for hardware devices. This will put the drivers back in.

The desktop Manager should now pick up the USB port.

If your device is connected while you do this, you should see the USB connection spring into action on the BB screen..

It might be worth checking if you need to update the USB driver before you do this.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
sirkswiss

Carrier: tmo

I've had the same problem but still can't get it to connect. I tried updating my usb drivers, but the update wizard said it couldn't find a better version. I did your uninstall technique and still no help.

Anyone have further information on this? I need to resolve this asap, because this is the first in a series of issues I'm having with this phone and I need to connect to the app loader to deal with the rest.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkswiss
I've had the same problem but still can't get it to connect. I tried updating my usb drivers, but the update wizard said it couldn't find a better version. I did your uninstall technique and still no help.

Anyone have further information on this? I need to resolve this asap, because this is the first in a series of issues I'm having with this phone and I need to connect to the app loader to deal with the rest.
Are you with T-Mobile? If so call them immediately. They will spend whatever time is necessary to get the thing working.

From your description of the cable not fitting in all the way, that makes me wonder.

Did you try a different USB port on the PC? Sometimes any one port may go bad.

Switch around ports first, if that does not do anything, call T-mo from a land line.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
sirkswiss

Thanks, I called T-Mobile and it turns out it won't connect because I have XP64. BB desktop software does not yet recognize USB for XP64, but they say they're working on it. It doesn't seem like that will happen for a while though. Blah.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkswiss
Thanks, I called T-Mobile and it turns out it won't connect because I have XP64. BB desktop software does not yet recognize USB for XP64, but they say they're working on it. It doesn't seem like that will happen for a while though. Blah.

Wow, that was good to call. Imagine all the work we saved. Did the tech person figure that out right away?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
sirkswiss

It took a little while and it was my third call to T-Mobile overall regarding that issue...the first two times I spoke to T-Mo customer care who then transferred to their pda department, who wasn't much more helpful (they didn't do much more than test my issues out on their own phones while I waited haha). The third time I let them know my patience was running thin so they transferred me to RIM, and their guy was familiar with the xp64 issue.

Question to others who are having problems connecting to their PCS: are you using XP64? If not, have you gotten it to connect yet?
Closed Thread