BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Purduecoz

Model: 7250
Default New 7250: Question about keyboard

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I just got my BB 7250 with Sprint service and I absolutely love it. It's the first phone/mobile device that I can see myself keeping for a long time to come.

I do have a quick question about the keyboard though. My Q, A, and num-lock keys (the 3 keys on the very left of the keyboard) make kind of a "rattle" noise if touched lightly. The sensitivity or responsiveness of the buttons is not impacted, but they do not feel as "tight" as the rest of the keyboard does. Is this something I shouldn't worry about, do the keyboards tend to loosen up over time?

Thanks!

Purduecoz
Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
pb2

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

How do you like your SprintPCS Blackberry? How is web browsing on it? Do you have good coverage?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

My 7290 is the same as yours, except for the radio, and none of my keys do that. I don't think the keys will loosen (mine is almost a year old), but if it's noticeable, I wouldn't be happy.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
Purduecoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2
How do you like your SprintPCS Blackberry? How is web browsing on it? Do you have good coverage?
Everything is fantastic with it. I live where there is just 'fringe' PCS coverage (Bossier City, Louisiana - next to Shreveport). My old Sanyo phone would drop calls consistently. I don't have that problem with the BB at all. It seems that if I have enough signal for voice (even one bar), I have enough signal for data, which surprises me a bit. As I move closer to town, coverage isn't even an issue.

This device gets a huge thumbs up from me so far!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Purduecoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
My 7290 is the same as yours, except for the radio, and none of my keys do that. I don't think the keys will loosen (mine is almost a year old), but if it's noticeable, I wouldn't be happy.
Yeah, I'm thinking I might call and see if they'll do a 30-day exchange for me. I might decline it though if they're going to send me a refurbished product.

It's not that it impacts functionality at all - it is just annoying everytime I press a Q or an A to hear that "plasticy rattle" sound as I depress the key. I thought at first this might be due to the position of the keys in the molding, how they're slightly angled down. Now that I know this isn't normal, it bugs me all the more! Nobody likes to spend the kind of money these devices cost and have them be less than perfect. I guess I need to lower my standards.

Thanks!

Purduecoz
Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduecoz
Hi Everyone,

I just got my BB 7250 with Sprint service and I absolutely love it. It's the first phone/mobile device that I can see myself keeping for a long time to come.

I do have a quick question about the keyboard though. My Q, A, and num-lock keys (the 3 keys on the very left of the keyboard) make kind of a "rattle" noise if touched lightly. The sensitivity or responsiveness of the buttons is not impacted, but they do not feel as "tight" as the rest of the keyboard does. Is this something I shouldn't worry about, do the keyboards tend to loosen up over time?

Thanks!

Purduecoz

I have the same device with Verizon and find that my keys produce a clicking sound sometimes, as well. This has never impacted performance in any way, and it doesn't occur all the time. My advice is to try and not worry about it, I have had no problems.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

A few of my users have had noisy/loose keys like that since they opened the box. 5000 emails later, and there's no change.

If you can get a free NEW replacement, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, I'd just put up w/ it.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 09-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
Purduecoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWastedYears
A few of my users have had noisy/loose keys like that since they opened the box. 5000 emails later, and there's no change.

If you can get a free NEW replacement, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, I'd just put up w/ it.
Thanks for the advice. My main question was whether this is something that is a defect, or that is just part of the tolerance during manufacturing. Looks like from some of the responses, it's the later of the two. Thanks for your response!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Purduecoz

Wow, I'm impressed! Sprint said they would send me a brand new (non refurbished) 7250 in an attempt to correct my keyboard issue. They said to keep whichever one I prefer and ship the other back in a prepaid repair kit.

Not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

The keyboard on these devices is a rubber keyboard "mat". So nothing is going to break of fall out...build quality is excellent and consistent.

It takes a new Blackberry a while to break in. They're stiff and unnatural when they're new: Keyboard and trackwheel don't feel natural. Give it a few weeks and all will be well. Trust me.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:02 AM   #11
bbwizard

Model: 7520
Default bb buttons

hi there. my name is BJ and I work for Nextel in a bb call center. The loose buttons will more than likely casue you problems. I advise that you return the unit for a new one.
Sincerely,
BJ
Closed Thread