Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default Rove announces 2 free products

Please Login to Remove!

Rove Announces Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry are now Completely Free of Charge

OTTAWA, Canada – March 26, 2008 – Rove, the world's leading provider of enterprise software for handhelds, today announced that two of its popular products – Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry are now free of charge.

Mobile File Manager allows BlackBerry users to connect to remote file servers such as FTP, SFTP, WebDAV and Windows file shares. Users can edit files such as web pages, deploy sites, upload photos, transfer files from the memory card, view graphics on remote computers, edit configuration files, and monitor log files and much more.

Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry (formerly BlackBerry Viewer) displays the screen of a BlackBerry smartphone on a computer screen. Users can give live demonstrations of any application designed for BlackBerry smartphones, create training presentations for BlackBerry users, take screen captures and record videos.

As the mobile workforce increases, so does the need for remote workers to be able to access remote files from wherever they are. With the number of BlackBerry implementations on the rise, there is also a strong demand for tools that allow easy training and presentations to a large group of users, by displaying the screen of a BlackBerry on a larger screen.

“Rove’s mobile enterprise software has brought simplicity and convenience to thousands of enterprise workers,” said Rob Woodbridge, President and CEO, Rove. “With these free versions of Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for Blackberry, we hope to introduce the Rove line of products to an even larger audience.”

Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry can be downloaded free of charge at: Rove - Products

The Rove Mobile Team
Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

that is definately excellent news
Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

awesome

Im up to checking these items out
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

HOORAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais View Post
Rove Announces Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry are now Completely Free of Charge

OTTAWA, Canada – March 26, 2008 – Rove, the world's leading provider of enterprise software for handhelds, today announced that two of its popular products – Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry are now free of charge.

Mobile File Manager allows BlackBerry users to connect to remote file servers such as FTP, SFTP, WebDAV and Windows file shares. Users can edit files such as web pages, deploy sites, upload photos, transfer files from the memory card, view graphics on remote computers, edit configuration files, and monitor log files and much more.

Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry (formerly BlackBerry Viewer) displays the screen of a BlackBerry smartphone on a computer screen. Users can give live demonstrations of any application designed for BlackBerry smartphones, create training presentations for BlackBerry users, take screen captures and record videos.

As the mobile workforce increases, so does the need for remote workers to be able to access remote files from wherever they are. With the number of BlackBerry implementations on the rise, there is also a strong demand for tools that allow easy training and presentations to a large group of users, by displaying the screen of a BlackBerry on a larger screen.

“Rove’s mobile enterprise software has brought simplicity and convenience to thousands of enterprise workers,” said Rob Woodbridge, President and CEO, Rove. “With these free versions of Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for Blackberry, we hope to introduce the Rove line of products to an even larger audience.”

Mobile File Manager and Rove Mobile Viewer for BlackBerry can be downloaded free of charge at: Rove - Products

The Rove Mobile Team
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

A little over my head.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Great news!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

Cool. I'm going to check it out.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I've said it before and will say it again - Rove is a kicka*s company.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
dietcoke

anyone looking to setup a free sftp

here are directions for windows

Setting up a SFTP Server on Windows

make sure you have your router/firewall port forward properly and if you want you can use ddns to find your hostname at home.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Well, there goes my money on one of their products. Oh well !! Still got one free!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
rivviepop

Paul - do you have an idea why a SFTP session that works with TCP/IP will not work with BIS? I am a typical T-Mobile customer with the unlimited BIS options/plan - are they blocking port 22 on me? Obviously it's not a problem for me since I have both, but for some it might be handy to know (as some don't have TCP/IP and only BIS, and vice versa) why BIS might not work...
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Paul - do you have an idea why a SFTP session that works with TCP/IP will not work with BIS? I am a typical T-Mobile customer with the unlimited BIS options/plan - are they blocking port 22 on me? Obviously it's not a problem for me since I have both, but for some it might be handy to know (as some don't have TCP/IP and only BIS, and vice versa) why BIS might not work...
The BIS network only has ports 80, 443 and above 1024 open, all other ports bellow 1024 are blocked. We have been talking to RIM trying to get them to at least open up port 21, 22 and 23 on BIS for a few years. Hopefully they will open them eventually.

If you run your SFTP server on a port above 1024 it will work on BIS. Or if you setup some sort of port forward using a port over 1024 it will work.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais View Post
The BIS network only has ports 80, 443 and above 1024 open, all other ports bellow 1024 are blocked. We have been talking to RIM trying to get them to at least open up port 21, 22 and 23 on BIS for a few years. Hopefully they will open them eventually.
Gotcha 100%, thanks for the info (and for cajoling RIM, I'm sure that's no easy task).
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Is anyone else having issues connecting to SFTP sites? I am am to connect but when I try to go to any folders beyond the root directory I get exception handles and the app stops functioning till I restart it.. I am running WinSSHD 4.21 as my SFTP server..
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
Is anyone else having issues connecting to SFTP sites? I am am to connect but when I try to go to any folders beyond the root directory I get exception handles and the app stops functioning till I restart it.. I am running WinSSHD 4.21 as my SFTP server..
No problems here, all my connections are to traditional OpenSSH based servers and are working fine, to include symlinked subdirectories as well as regular ones. BB 8320 OS 4.2.2.184, OpenSSH 3.9p1 (and others older and newer depending on server).
Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
dietcoke

I am able to access my sftp server. I am also able to successfully connect to my sftp, navigate to my mp3's... over wifi.... and copy music and folders to my memory card music folder.

That is pretty exciting, I don't need to attach my usb cable to copy music anymore.. but this is only good over 8320 wifi.. Cant wait to try it at home on my local wifi network.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
Most of our development and testing has been with OpenSSH, we do have some open bugs with WinSSHD that are on our list of things to fix for future versions.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
sheeep
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: n/a

I was able to access and browse my FTP server with Mobile File Manager and even to copy files to my trusty 8700 - awesome progam, thanks!

But shouldn't I be able to open Word (doc) documents and PDFs stored on my server? The program tells me that it can't find a file viewer. This isn't right in my opinion as I have the attachment service installed on my device. It works with text files and images but not with docs and PDFs (which would be extremely valuable to me as my BB doesn't have a MediaCard slot).

Does anyone have the same issue?

Last edited by sheeep; 03-27-2008 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeep View Post
But shouldn't I be able to open Word (doc) documents and PDFs stored on my server? The program tells me that it can't find a file viewer. This isn't right in my opinion as I have the attachment service installed on my device. It works with text files and images but not with docs and PDFs (which would be extremely valuable to me as my BB doesn't have a MediaCard slot).

Does anyone have the same issue?
The BlackBerry device does not support opening Word or PDF files natively on the device yet. The attachment service on your BlackBerry basically transforms the files to a compressed format that is understood by your device before it arrives to the device. The reason for this is so that you can view an attached PDF that might be a couple of megs without download a massive document to your device over an expensive and slow data connection.

Stay tuned as I heard that BlackBerry devices in the future will be able to handle the actual native document formats on the device, using other applications like Dataviz, Repligo and eOffice.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #20
sheeep
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: n/a

Thanks a lot for the explanation! It's always nice to learn new things .
Closed Thread