Old 04-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
biggs

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default BB 8800 Caller Group + Custom Ringer = Hard Error

Please Login to Remove!

Hi.

I finally broke down and got a BB 8800 with Cingular. However, I've found a bug for which I've been unable to find a fix. I ran this by my friend who manages a Cingular store and he's stumped too.

Here's how to reproduce the error:
1. Create a group and add a contact or two.
2. While in the long list of contacts and groups, highlight the group and hit the menu button.
3. Scroll down and select 'Add Custom Phone Tune'

Rather than displaying a list of ringers, it throw up an error message that says "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException" and does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In particular, if someone can try this procedure with different firmware/vendor versions.

FYI, I am running the O2 Zen theme that I unlocked because I need a special folder for SMS/MMS. But I had the same problem before I loaded the hacked install package.

Thanks in advance.
Tony
Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the forums,

I get the same error with the Pearl. I guess my question is, Why would you add a custom phone tune to an email/sms group? There is no reason to do this. "Add custom phone tune" is only for receiving phone calls.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
biggs

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

I get it now. They simply failed to block out the menu option for adding ringers to groups.

While I see that the group thing is used mostly for distribution lists, it's handy for other stuff as well. I put every carry-out place my wife and I like in a group, then I can find them quickly when hungry.

Oh, and they already give you the option to add home and office phone numbers to groups, not just email addresses and cell numbers. So they really wouldn't have to go far to make this happen.

For years phones have been doing the whole caller group with ringer thing. It seems short-sighted to not use this existing infrastructure for this purpose.

Tony
Closed Thread