BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
aer0

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone NZ
Default Encrypted images on phone .jpg.rem Help please!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys, i need your help.

ive been searching and reading for the last 2 days trying to fix this before posting a "help"

status is as follows,
Im one of the BB admins here at work.
Someone rather "high level" came to me at work yesterday morning with a new "bold" and asked me to build it for him, i did so without question as he is rather high up in our organisation.

About an hour later he came down to see me and collect his new bold all working nicely and asked how he can get all the photos off his old curve 8310.
'oh shit' i thought...
because of the environment we work in we have a rather strict IT security policy on all of our BB's this incudes Encrypting the media files on the media card.

so from the reading i have done over the last 2 days my best bet is to turn off the "encrypt media files" option then just move the files off the microSD card to the phone memory to remove said encryption...
however im unable to do so due to the policy on the phone.
Our policy also prevents bluetooth or MMS
i cant remove the policy as the phone is no longer linked to our bes to change the security policy :(

i have the password to the phone so can log into it and see the images on the phone.

ive also tried plugging it in and looking at the files in media manager but this cant view the files either

please help me ill try almost anything
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

If you need to remove the IT Policy check the BlackBerryFAQ site. They got something there to clear the IT policy off a laptop that is no longer on the BES, or any BlackBerry for that matter.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

You could also re-activate the device on the BES using another name (we have a few test users... my fave is Bubbles McTester) then change the policy to a less strict one... blank even... which would allow you to decrypt the SD card so you can retrieve the items via mass storage mode.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
aer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
You could also re-activate the device on the BES using another name (we have a few test users... my fave is Bubbles McTester) then change the policy to a less strict one... blank even... which would allow you to decrypt the SD card so you can retrieve the items via mass storage mode.
thanks for the idea, just a query first tho... when i re-activate the device does it not give the device new encryption so can then no longer decrypt the current microSD?

i think ill try this on another spare handset before i really kill the main bb in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
If you need to remove the IT Policy check the BlackBerryFAQ site. They got something there to clear the IT policy off a laptop that is no longer on the BES, or any BlackBerry for that matter.
Thanks Steve, ill have a look around for that FAQ shortly
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
CO_BBTechie

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aer0 View Post
thanks for the idea, just a query first tho... when i re-activate the device does it not give the device new encryption so can then no longer decrypt the current microSD?
Hmmm... good question. One might reason that given how PIN-PIN messages can encrypt and decrypt OK between devices on the same BES server, within the same organization, it may work. It would certainly be prudent to test it on data you don't need.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
aer0

agreed, am in the process of building a test BB under the user Testy McTester

will take a couple of photos with our security policy enabled on the phone.
then will re-assign the phone to another user maybe "bubbles" and remove the policy
then will see if i can get the photos off using media manager
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
aer0

CO_BBTechie you are my hero!

it worked

thanks for the help
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
CO_BBTechie