Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon
Default Got my 8830 today...Need Help!!

Please Login to Remove!

Two questions that I am baffled about...

1) Is there a way to put in contact info and calendar info on the PC and then transfer to BB? It would just be easier to do it on the larger device.

2) Second I want to change the icons on the home screen but I cannot for the life of me get any to move off or on. The rep showed me some stuff today when I got this and this was one of the things. However, she showed me so much that apparently I am missing a step because what I remember her showing me doesn't work.

She said she was going to write down or print out some of the things she told me, but she and I both forgot so I need some help, please.

I have tried to look it up but I cannot find the answers.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

1) use outlook
2) hit menu > move to move the icons or menu > hide to hide the icons
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the answer to #1, I will try that.

On #2, I have tried that on the "home" screen, that screen with the 4 icons. When I press the menu screen, it just flips me over the screen with all the other icons. When I try what you said on this 2nd screen, it works great. My problem is getting the ones from the home screen to the other one and visa versa.

In other words, I want to move the 'Call Log' off the home screen and replace it with 'Address Book'.

I have looked in Options to see if I made a change in there that is preventing me from doing this but can't find anything.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Will it offer for me to pick and choose which contacts I want to add to BB or do I have to add all of the contacts in my Outlook?

I have one in my email on computer that I rarely correspond with and don't really care for them to be in my BB.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

They will all be synced.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post

On #2, I have tried that on the "home" screen, that screen with the 4 icons. When I press the menu screen, it just flips me over the screen with all the other icons. When I try what you said on this 2nd screen, it works great. My problem is getting the ones from the home screen to the other one and visa versa.

In other words, I want to move the 'Call Log' off the home screen and replace it with 'Address Book'.

I have looked in Options to see if I made a change in there that is preventing me from doing this but can't find anything.
Go to the "second" screen with ALL of the icons. Now use the MOVE option to move something from lower on that screen to a higher position in the TOP ROW. That will force something from the top row down. Do that until you get the five you want up to the top.

Now hit the RED phone to get back to the single row of icons and your choices should be there.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

If you want to always see the entire screen's worth of icons, you can change your Theme. Click on the Options icon (wrench) and then Theme. Chose the Icon theme.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If there are contacts in Outlook you do not want synced to your BlackBerry, created a secondary folder in your main Outlook contacts folder and move those you don't want synced to the subfolder. It and its contacts will not move to the BB.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
defragged

Model: NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
If you want to always see the entire screen's worth of icons, you can change your Theme. Click on the Options icon (wrench) and then Theme. Chose the Icon theme.
Hi. I just bought my new 8830 yesterday too. How do I change my home page so that it shows just 2 rows of icons? Thx!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Your homescreen is theme-dependent. I don't know of a theme with just two rows of icons, unless you were to hide everything else, or put them in folders to condense them to two rows.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
defragged

Model: NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Your homescreen is theme-dependent. I don't know of a theme with just two rows of icons, unless you were to hide everything else, or put them in folders to condense them to two rows.
Okay... thank you!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

If you look around here in our Media section of this forum, you will hordes of themes. Make sure the one you choose is for the 8830 model.

Also, look here for more info:
Adding Themes & RingTones - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Go to the "second" screen with ALL of the icons. Now use the MOVE option to move something from lower on that screen to a higher position in the TOP ROW. That will force something from the top row down. Do that until you get the five you want up to the top.

Now hit the RED phone to get back to the single row of icons and your choices should be there.
I tried that but it still does not change any of the icons on that "Home" screen. I am using the BB Dimension Today Theme.

I have the icons I want in the top row when I am on the screen with all the icons but when I go that home screen with only 4 icons, nothing has changed.

Please advise. This is so frustrating that I am doing what you said but it didn't work, so I have to be doing something incorrect or have some setting turned on.

Also the rep told me that there was 2 buttons I could push to use the move without using the Escape button.

Help Please!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Unclebelvis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

If you are using the Today theme, you are stuck with Messages, Calendar, and Call Log. You need to use an icon theme in order to select what icons you want to see on the main screen. Sorry.

Last edited by Unclebelvis; 02-10-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Sirthinks

PIN: 207B9580
Carrier: Rogers (9000) Telus (8330)
Lightbulb

Quote:

You need to:
1. Click the accessories button
2. Once all your icons are showing highlight the icon you want to move
3. click the menu button and select move
4. scroll until the icon is where you want it
5. The icons on the first page (Zen) are the first icons in the first row in icon view.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Sirthinks

PIN: 207B9580
Carrier: Rogers (9000) Telus (8330)

Quote:
Will it offer for me to pick and choose which contacts I want to add to BB or do I have to add all of the contacts in my Outlook?

I have one in my email on computer that I rarely correspond with and don't really care for them to be in my BB.
You can choose based on filters that you set in the synchronize settings in DT Manager

Last edited by Sirthinks; 02-10-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
If there are contacts in Outlook you do not want synced to your BlackBerry, created a secondary folder in your main Outlook contacts folder and move those you don't want synced to the subfolder. It and its contacts will not move to the BB.
Okay I got the icon thing taken care of, thanks for the help!!!

Now I am having problems with syncing my contacts. I did the subfolder but nothing synced from computer to BB...how to I set up DT manager to do this. I looked but I did not see a setting for this.

Can I filter which emails on my PC go to BB? And, of course, how do I do that? I am sorry I am such a dummy but when I try looking this stuff up, I just get bogged down and confused...sorry

Thanks again for helping me.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Quote:
Okay I got the icon thing taken care of, thanks for the help!!!

Now I am having problems with syncing my contacts. I did the subfolder but nothing synced from computer to BB...how to I set up DT manager to do this. I looked but I did not see a setting for this.

Can I filter which emails on my PC go to BB? And, of course, how do I do that? I am sorry I am such a dummy but when I try looking this stuff up, I just get bogged down and confused...sorry

Thanks again for helping me.
What have you tried? If you start DM and double-click Synchronize and go to the Configuration tab and then click on Configure synch you can then select your address book in MS Outlook.
Closed Thread