BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Arthur502

Model: 8800
Smile Swap sims within 2 BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I'm coming here since a while, reading all of your post with attention.

Here is my question:

My company provided me with a 8700 model, and look to upgrade for the new 8800 soon. It comes with a "BB data only" package connect to our BES.

What about, if I buy a separate pearl model for my own use, and I swap with the sims of my 8700: wil I be able to synch with my personnal email, surf on the web, without having someone at the IT dept putting is nose on my use?

Different words, can I use my company data package on my personnal BB without IT interfering into it?

The reason why I'm asking this question is quiet simple: lately I,ve got to find an information about a product sold from my competitor, I have been on their website, found what I needed and then go. Couple of days later, I've got a meeting with my boss asking why I have been on that website, and I got a clear message to never attempt anymore to visit this website on my BB. Of course, he said no problem with my laptop, but not with my BB.

I've forgot to say: my BB is connected with Rogers (Canada), and I plan to buy for my personnal use, a pearl and link it with a voice package only, using my sims that come with my 8700, on that pearl for data connectivity.

Is the sims may record any history of web surfing, and so?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can swap your SIM card beteeen the two BBs, although I am sure your employer will know if the company BES keeps activating at odd times when you switch the SIM back to the company BB.

Why would you put your job in jeapordy after the already stern warning and suspicion. If you are so worried (maybe you are not worried!) Just buy a totally separate SIM and keep the accounts totally separate.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can swap your SIM card beteeen the two BBs, although I am sure your employer will know if the company BES keeps activating at odd times when you switch the SIM back to the company BB.

Why would you put your job in jeapordy after the already stern warning and suspicion. If you are so worried (maybe you are not worried!) Just buy a totally separate SIM and keep the accounts totally separate.
I completely agree w/JS. Clearly your boss opposes you viewing your competitor's site and he has laid the ground rules. Keep the accounts/SIMS separate. Best of luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

If you want to swap sims, you will have to re-do your enterprise activation each time you swap as well as go on BIS's website and change your device pin and IMEI to get any personal emails to your new device.

I switch between a Pearl and an 8800 often, so I know what a pain it is. I recommend against it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Arthur502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
If you want to swap sims, you will have to re-do your enterprise activation each time you swap as well as go on BIS's website and change your device pin and IMEI to get any personal emails to your new device.

I switch between a Pearl and an 8800 often, so I know what a pain it is. I recommend against it.

Alright, I came a little further today, and I asked them about the reason why they allow me to visit competitor's website on my laptop when I'm connected thru our VPN Secure network, but they don't want me to surf on competitor's website with my BB: the reaosn was really clear, it's almost a question of security with my BB. They don't care if I visit competitor's website , and that's part of my job to keep myself updated about the market, it is only a question of security with BB.

I've been told also, to do not use my data package to download personnal emails, for the reason XXAARRAA gives here: to have to redo the setup everytime. I've been suggested to use a mail provider such as hotmail, yahoo of Gmail if I want to read my personnal emails. They do not want me to set or relay on pop server and so. They don't really care about the usage I do with my plan, as far as I don't use company device to do so... Thanks boss!

Now, the question is a little more clear, but I,m still confuse: is this possible that IT may track my web usage, such as page visited, bank transaction completed and so?

Also, if I swap my sims card, what kind of information the IT may track, see or watch, the next time I connect to BES server?

If I use my sims on different BB device, is there any setup I should do before re-install this sims into the original/company own BB?

I assume I should turn off the BB before I take of sims, is this right?

Thanks a lot to bring your knowledge, and devotion to answer my questions here!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Arthur502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa

Alright, I came a little further today, and I asked them about the reason why they allow me to visit competitor's website on my laptop when I'm connected thru our VPN Secure network, but they don't want me to surf on competitor's website with my BB: the reaosn was really clear, it's almost a question of security with my BB. They don't care if I visit competitor's website , and that's part of my job to keep myself updated about the market, it is only a question of security with BB.

I've been told also, to do not use my data package to download personnal emails, for the reason XXAARRAA gives here: to have to redo the setup everytime. I've been suggested to use a mail provider such as hotmail, yahoo of Gmail if I want to read my personnal emails. They do not want me to set or relay on pop server and so. They don't really care about the usage I do with my plan, as far as I don't use company device to do so... Thanks boss!

Now, the question is a little more clear, but I,m still confuse: is this possible that IT may track my web usage, such as page visited, bank transaction completed and so?

Also, if I swap my sims card, what kind of information the IT may track, see or watch, the next time I connect to BES server?

If I use my sims on different BB device, is there any setup I should do before re-install this sims into the original/company own BB?

I assume I should turn off the BB before I take of sims, is this right?

Thanks a lot to bring your knowledge, and devotion to answer my questions here!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Arthur, swapping the SIM between the two BB is still going to require you to redo your BES activation each time. Yes, you should turn off your BB before pulling the SIM card. But since it is located UNDER the battery... your BB will be off.

While your corporate people will not be able to track your usage on the other BB from the SIM card... it just is not a great idea. What if you are surfing around getting emails on your personal BB, while missing mail, etc., phone calls on the corporate BB? As an employer, at that point, I would be telling your to make a choice...

My best advice--still--is to get a separate account, separate SIM card, etc. Keep the two very very distinct and apart from each other. That way there is no line for you to cross or ever cause confusion about anything.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Basically, don't assume that anything is private on a company BES-connected Blackberry. It's company property and subject to their rules no matter how you disagree with them. If you want to keep it private then get another Blackberry for yourself.
Closed Thread