Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
gensuki

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Help me use my BB Bold 9700 on Airvoice system

Please Login to Remove!

November 2011, I started using my BB Bold 9700 with the AT&T Pay-As-You-Go-Minutes plan. Although I didn’t have BIS/BES server, I could still access the internet with the data package offered by AT&T. Life was good until April 2012 when AT&T no longer allowed customers on the minutes plan to buy data. Currently, I just use wifi to access the Internet using the hotspot browser but after Hurricane Sandy I feel the need to have a little internet access on my phone for emergencies.

I am looking at Airvoice which still allows data on the minutes plan and am trying to understand how to configure it for data. Can anyone out there confirm that this is what I need to do to get data to work on my phone for AirVoice?
• Find your "APN Settings". Make sure the tick-box next to "APN Settings Enabled" is ticked.
• Once you have done that, just below this you will see "APN:". This is where you will need to type in a setting. Set the Following APN
APN: att.mvno
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

Please confirm that I don’t need some new service book. Do I need a different browser or will the Blackberry Browser or Media Net Browser work same as it did when I could buy 3G data. Also, if I screw up the APN settings, will that affect wifi access or is that independent?

BTW would these same settings work for H2O?

Thank you for all your help.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Help me use my BB Bold 9700 on Airvoice system

You need service books in order to use BlackBerry apps, including the browser.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

And on a BB, you need a BB data plan for email, Internet and other services. Nothing else works. You had wifi because your carrier allowed it and/or there were proper service books on the device and to get them, you need BB data.

What do you mean "BTW would these same settings work for H2O?"? Last I checked H2O was water and BB and water do not play well together.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

H2O wireless is nothing more than a minutes provider to standard cell phones. You will still need the service books to allow the data use including WIFI.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
gensuki

Thanks for all the feedback. However, due to my ignorance I need to ask some more dumb questions. Thanks for your patience.

Quote:
You need service books in order to use BlackBerry apps, including the browser.
I don't intend to use BB apps, just the internet via the browser. The Hotspot browser, MediaNet, and Blackberry worked before. Do I need a different browser and hence a service book to go with it?

Quote:
And on a BB, you need a BB data plan for email, Internet and other services. Nothing else works. You had wifi because your carrier allowed it and/or there were proper service books on the device and to get them, you need BB data
Are you talking about a BB-specific data plan? Prior to AT&T dropping my ability to buy the data package, I was able to use the Internet via the MediaNet browser. None of the push email, etc. stuff worked but I was okay with that. I just want the same with AirVoice. I don't have a data plan now (just phone/text) and am able to get wifi. Can you clarify?

Quote:
H2O wireless is nothing more than a minutes provider to standard cell phones. You will still need the service books to allow the data use including WIFI.
Are you saying even though right now I have AT&T phone/text (no minutes) and can get wifi, if I go to AirVoice without getting new service books I won't be able to use wifi?

Thank you all. It's complicated.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Unless AirVoice offers BlackBerry data plans, you won't get the service books to use WiFi. If you don't want to get a BlackBerry data plan or can't get one through your carrier then perhaps BlackBerry is not the right device for you.

The Nokia E71 is very BlackBerry-like as far as design. I used one on T-Mobile with only the $5.99/month T-Zones plan (data plan lite) and it was great. No need for anything specific to use WiFi either. BlackBerrys are unique animals and do not work like other cell phones. Because they were designed specifically to connect to RIM's data infrastructure through specific data plans there are few workarounds that don't suck. You can pick up a nice Nokia E71 for $50-$75, unlocked, and use it the way you want.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Unless AirVoice offers BlackBerry data plans, you won't get the service books to use WiFi. If you don't want to get a BlackBerry data plan or can't get one through your carrier then perhaps BlackBerry is not the right device for you.

The Nokia E71 is very BlackBerry-like as far as design. I used one on T-Mobile with only the $5.99/month T-Zones plan (data plan lite) and it was great. No need for anything specific to use WiFi either. BlackBerrys are unique animals and do not work like other cell phones. Because they were designed specifically to connect to RIM's data infrastructure through specific data plans there are few workarounds that don't suck. You can pick up a nice Nokia E71 for $50-$75, unlocked, and use it the way you want.
In that vein, there are also great Android sets with keyboards that can be scooped unlocked for that price.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I would suggest going with rambo47 and dc/dc's suggestions and look at the Android type phones.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
gensuki

My BB 9700 was my work phone and when I retired, they let me keep it. When I was working, I was on the work plan and had access to all the Blackberry push features. When I got my own Paygo plan, I could no longer use BIS features, but still had internet access. I do really like the phone: the keypad, the mp3 player, wifi, the camera, etc. all work great. Therefore , I am hoping to keep this phone for a while (it’s free!).

So are you all saying that if I go to AirVoice, I won’t even get to use wifi because an AirVoice-specific service book is needed for wifi? I’m confused because if I turn 3G off, I still have wifi. Are you saying that the SIM card is AT&T and therefore the wifi works, but once I put in an AirVoice SIM card, wifi will no longer work without a new service book? Are you saying I'm stuck with AT&T unless I'm willing to pay for BB-specific data plan on new carrier that can download new service books to my BB?

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Are you saying that the SIM card is AT&T and therefore the wifi works, but once I put in an AirVoice SIM card, wifi will no longer work without a new service book? Are you saying I'm stuck with AT&T unless I'm willing to pay for BB-specific data plan on new carrier that can download new service books to my BB?
Yes.
Closed Thread