Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
mjbanks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES Questions

Please Login to Remove!

I was debating on a hosted BES from exchangemymail, but then realized I might be able to run my own...

I have licenses for Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003, so I could run my own Exchange Server. You can get BES Express for free, and since I'm the only one in my company with a Blackberry, that would be fine. I would just need to get some hardware to run everything on. Since I only have 1 other employee, it would be no problem in running everything on 1 box.

My only question is, I don't have a static IP. I work out of my home, so I don't have business class internet service. I have a dyndns address setup, with both my router and the desktop updater software running to keep the address up to date.

I already run a PPTP VPN through my router, so I could use that to connect back to my office to get to the Exchange Server (or use RPC over HTTPS, but I have absolutely no idea how to set that up).

Any thoughts from people here would be great. I'm not 100% confident on setting everything up (never setup a BES before).

My main concerns, outside of getting everything setup, are the dyndns address not updating promptly enough and me losing email (since I would have to use the dyndns address for the MX records), and also not having business class internet, if Time Warner decides to block port 25 or anything that would cause the Exchange server to have issues. I would love to setup RPC over HTTP, but I've never set that up either.

Would it be worthwhile to set this all up and run the server myself? Or would it be better to just spend the $25 a month and get things with exchangemymail?

Thanks!
Closed Thread