BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
shipspeed

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Unlocking a Cingular 8700C for overseas travel?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I recently took a job that requires travel to Europe and Asia. I'm thinking about moving from Verizon to Cingular for enhanced global support. If I want an 8700C, I'm under the impression I would need to unlock it for use overseas. If true, what are my options? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

bongo, i'm sure. although they most likely won't offer the ability for some time after the release date. heck, being cingular, they may offer it unlocked anyhow out of the box. you should really just wait until the phone is actually released before asking such questions though, as no one really knows much right now.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Time out

Shipspeed - do you just want to use the BB overseas, or do you want to put in a SIM card from another carrier? If you just want to use the BB overseas, using your existing SIM card, then all you have to do is call Cingular and make sure the account is set to allow International roaming. If you want to put in a foreign SIM card, then you may have to contact Bongo Wireless.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Will you be abroad long enough to want to have complete BB service from a foreign carrier? If not, do as NJBB says and pay Cingular the extra $20/mo for unlimited global data, then get a local phone+SIM for voice. If you'll be going to several places, your options are to either pay Cingular's high international voice roaming charges, get a SIM for everyplace you go, or get a SIM that has lower-cost international roaming. A cheap unlocked phone from ebay is all you'd need for voice coverage.

Out-of-North America BB services could force you to get a new hosted BES/MDS provider + deal with customer service that could be even worse than
Cingular's. I thought about this for an upcoming 4wk trip, and it was a very poor option for me. If I were going to be gone for a year, I might have to think again. You might want to get a different BB, since things like EDGE + US based OS might not do what you expect with an overseas provider.

Last edited by dulcamara; 10-19-2005 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
You might want to get a different BB, since things like EDGE + US based OS might not do what you expect with an overseas provider.
This wouldn't be an issue, because most EDGE data devices (BlackBerry and otherwise) are generally backwards compatible with GPRS. Thus, the 8700 would just behave like an older BlackBerry when travelling overseas. Would be no problem for data roaming at all.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipspeed
Hi, I recently took a job that requires travel to Europe and Asia. I'm thinking about moving from Verizon to Cingular for enhanced global support. If I want an 8700C, I'm under the impression I would need to unlock it for use overseas. If true, what are my options? Thanks in advance.
Using a foreign SIM will probably render your data capability useless unless you subscribe for that service. Turning on the GPRS will probably eat up your Prepaid SIM load. Besides, BIS devices are provisioned to a particular carrier and if you want to switch carrier, you will have to request that your device PIN/IMEI be transferred from previous carrier to new carrier in order to work. I have gone through this process in the past and it took about 5 days before the BB got activated and working.

As previously posted above, if you're travelling over short periods of time, you may just want to have your carrier activate your service for international roaming.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

shipspeed, I am an admin with at least 25 bbs in Europe and Asia at any given time, we sent a bb with Cingular over there to test and they have no coverage there. You would want Tmobile.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

I've traveled in France and Germany in 2004 and had no problem using my bb. I have a 7280 with Cingular. I received and sent email with ease. I would place a call to Cingular before you go however in case your account needs to be modified in any way.

Last edited by mriff; 11-01-2005 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgirl
shipspeed, I am an admin with at least 25 bbs in Europe and Asia at any given time, we sent a bb with Cingular over there to test and they have no coverage there. You would want Tmobile.
Interesting as I have no problem with my Cingular 7290 anywhere in Europe. Coworkers' Cingular units work fine in AP as well (excluding Japan of course)
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

You have to have Cingular add International roaming to your account. It works fine in Europe then. I have used mine in Europe on several trips.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

I appreciate everyone's replies... I have done all of the suggestions mentioned. We were told that Cingular's international coverage, had surpassed Tmobile's. Hence the trial. I have international bb's customers reguarily, not just with blackberries, we use a variety of comms equipment, from bb's to thuraya's to satelite phones, as I support USAID and the Dept of State. Their coverage just does not rate to Tmobile's.

and yes, my thumbs hurt...

Last edited by bbgirl; 11-01-2005 at 11:10 AM..
Old 11-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

If you have the quad band BBs it really doesn't matter whether you are on Cingular or T-mobile unless you are in an area exclusively covered by T-mobile and no one else. If your device lacks the 900MHz band, then the T-Mobile devices will give you coverage where the Cingular devices lacking the 900 MHz band will not. With Cingular, you are roaming on other European carriers (you must have International roaming service on the account or nada). With T-Mobile you will be raoming but on their network most of the time but not always. (I have also traveled to Europe with a T-Mobile device and service). It is a little easier with T-Mobile but other than that prety immaterial (I too work for the U.S. government).

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Closed Thread