CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Old 12-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
csgka
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Blake Bennett

Default Blackberry 7280 as PDA and Cell Only.

How do I transfer my email from the desktop to the Blackberry like my Palm use to?

I have recently purchased a 7280, upgraded the desktop to 4.0 and the firmware to 4.0 (220). I have not enroled in a Mmode or Blackberry plan. I have simply moved my SIM card from my cell phone to the Blackberry. The cell phone and text messaging work well also. (It receives text messages when email to [phone #]@mobile.att.net.)

The unit syncs with my desktop outlook. The contacts, notes, and calendar transfer well. The emails do not.

I can't get it to push the email from Outlook to the Blackberry or transfer pictures to the unit either.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
jFA

Bad News, Mate - what should be the simplest and most basic feature of all is a NO CAN DO - check out this string for the sad truth

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2814

I have found some 3rd party software that will do it for amd extra $200.00 (e-Office by Dynoplex)

Good Luck

jFa
Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

As far as I know, only eOffice from http://www.dynoplex.com can do this...

Out of the box, BlackBerry is NOT a good OFFLINE email reader... If you want best email synchronization, you need it to be online on the BlackBerry Network, preferably on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

(I use Mailstreet at $23 per month -- and I love its wireless PIM synchronization. Never need to connect cables; any addressbook entries I add, or appointments I add in Microsoft Outlook shows up on my BlackBerry just 5 seconds later. My outlook email folder tree is synchronized too, but not for email messages sent/received BEFORE I enabled the wireless synchronization...)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Blake Bennett

:(
Thanks for the reply guys. I do appreciate it. I read the other post and agree with you jFa that it should be somthing easy and offered. I'll keep my eyes open and if I find anything I'll post it. Thanks again
Old 01-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #9
jFA

Default Its a frustrarting thing.......

Its a frustrating thing because RIM even uses the same software provider (Intellisync) that Palm and MS OS's do - and you can look right on their (Intellisync's) web page and see the screen shots of these other devices doing exactly what we want our BB's to do. Its already syncing Contacts, Calendar - only lacks InBox and SentBox.

I have a lot of respect for Mark (read his posts and you will see why) - but most of these guys miss the point - many of us users expect BB to help us on the road - we travel - and we go lots of places where cheap and readily available internet is not an option (I go for example to Latin America and Eastern Europe, Turkey etc) while there is NO great and cheap internet, there is good GSM - GPRS -

So what i want the BB to do is receive and send e-mail & attachments (which it does - but it does not send attachments - just receives them) - let me migrate (transfer or preferably sync) those messages from BB InBox to laptop InBox work on them (revise, re-do-edit whatever) migrate the finished work back to BB and send them from wherever I have a clear signal and decent reception. This may or may not be next to my hotel room where I prefer to work on my laptop - it might be across town - up on hill - up on the top floor of the hotel, or wherever.

So whether the BBsyncs wirelessly to a remote server, or not, is of little importance to me - because I have no access to a remote server - and if I could have (under these circumstances - which I almost never do) a cheap and reliable internet connection for my laptop - I wouldn't be using the BB, in the first place, - I would just use the much faster and capable Laptop.

It seems possible that some bright person will pick up on this utility & extend the function of the Intellisync Software and give us this badly needed feature (which already exists in the Palm and MS versions of this same software. That would be better than a grocery shopping list or a street racing game, IMHO - That would be excellent.

jFa
Old 01-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

GPRS is essentially the same thing as Internet to a BlackBerry. All celltowers that has "GPRS" automatically has Internet on a BlackBerry. You can finally get GPRS in places like China, in Indonesia, in Phillipines. Yes, your BlackBerry will roam there now (at least in the major cities) if you turn on a BlackBerry plan and agree to international roaming.

All GSM celltowers that have GPRS, have wireless Internet access at the tower -- which means if you have GPRS signal, you automatically have Internet.

There's no such thing as "Dialing" the Internet on GPRS. GPRS is always-on. That means 24/7 Internet always-on. You only pay for data transfer, not airtime -- It's almost free to be idling 24/7 always connected on the Internet on a BlackBerry, as long as no data is being transferred. Even in another country.

Go with a carrier with excellent roaming partners, and where you see GPRS is a feature in addition to GSM, you will be able to download BlackBerry email. "2 cents per GPRS kilobyte" for a specific country, is a dead giveaway that your BlackBerry email will work at least with at least one celltower in that particular country.

However, it is true -- it is expensive and not cheap if you do lots of data.

It's true, you won't have GPRS in some countries (yet). GSM-only with NO GPRS. But it's not a problem in most countries now in major cities at least; as long as you're willing to pay the $$ for the email download.

Yes, you're right, it's annoying for some people that BlackBerry isn't always a good offline email reader. The good news, is that you only need to go into GPRS area for about 10 seconds to download your whole day's email. Then you can reply to the emails offline. Just make sure your country has GPRS added to the GSM celltowers. Then your BlackBerry will work now.

It would be nice if you do the emails from the laptop and sync emails to the BlackBerry in an offline manner ala PocketPC, the only real way to do it is to use the Dynoplex solution mentioned above.

The best way to survive BlackBerry in frequent international use in spotty GPRS signal is the following:
(1) Make sure at least part of the GSM areas you are in will be having GPRS signal
(2) Buy Dynoplex eOffice for $199 as a backup method, so that you can copy emails between your laptop and BlackBerry over a cable connection.

It works well, it just is expensive -- but if you can afford it, then it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, offline synchronization should have been included -- but at least it's possible with eOffice;
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread