Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
ndm_madrid

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation Change a DBES 4.0 to a different Domino domain

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

A customer have decided to change their Domino domain name, and they are migrating their Domino users to this new Domino domain.

They have a DBES 4.0 installed, and they are concerned about which could be the best way to migrate the Domino server where the BES runs, so the minimal impact is caused to the users ... if possible. The BES server is configured with MSDE.

They have a Central server, with the old domain name: svcencn01/<Org>/<Domain>, and they have a new mail server: svcencn05/<NewDomain>, where all the "non-BB" users have been already migrated to. The domains are cross-certified.

I was thinking that they could move the BES from one domain to the other (following a "Move Domino server to a new domain procedure"), which should include modifying the notes.ini, the server document, and connection docs....basically.

Another thought was that they could have a new DBES installed in the new domain (different SRP ID, etc...), and move the users from one domain to the other, but considering that they are using MSDE (so, not sharing a common DB can be considered), what do you reckon could be a better way to do this? The 'Move Users' function will only work if the two DBES's share the same SQL db.

I think that probably they would like to do the migration in phases. Additionally, I am not sure on what exactly would happen with all the DBES settings after moving the DBES server from one domain to the other. Will that update all the required info for the DBES to work properly? If anybody have come across this scenario (or similar), let me know your feedback.

I am looking for some thoughts, or tips, on how could this be done, so if you come across any ideas, please let me know.

Many thanks for any help.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

I would have liked to be doing this migration...it's a good challenge.....
What I would do first is request a Temp SRP ID & Auth Key from RIM. Once received, I would register a new server id in the new domain and make the necessary changes (BlackBerryAdmins group added to the NAB), and setup the new domino server. That part should be very easy. Then install BES v4.0 and using the Temp SRP ID & Auth Key. Go ahead a create the MSDE when prompted. Test your new BES in the new domain to ensure that it functions as expected. This total process should take about 30mins.
On the old BES in the old domain...I would copy the BESMgt.mdf and *.ldf files (you'll need to shutdown the SQL server service to do so).
I would also make replicas of the *.nsf's in the BES directory and profiles.nsf onto the new server you just setup. There are some others I can't remember right now. These dbs are necessary to preserve and prevent orphaning of the messages on the device.
Replace those that represent the new install of BES with these replicas.
Attach the *.mdf and *.ldf files to the MSDE db (they'll replace the newer ones).
Change the BES server name on the MSDE db to reflect the new BES server name (domino server name not the host name). Although it is more advisable to have the host and domino server names the same when setting a server the first time.
You'll have to schedule some down time to test the transfer (migration). Once you have done that, then you'll need to switch the SRP IDs & Auth Keys. You may also need the CALs. This can be extracted from old BES via the command prompt.
You'll have to shutdown the old BES and start the new BES. It'll take some time for the previous Temp SRP keys to be flushed from the network, so expect to see some references(errors about connection failed) in the BES logs (MAGT, SYNC, DISP).
I'm sure I have left something out....but that would be my approach in a nutshell. Given enough time to analyze it, I probably would find some easier approach....
Old 11-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
ndm_madrid

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Change a DBES 4.0 to a different Domino domain...

Hi Dev,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, that can help a lot.

Indeed we already got a full SRP ID for the second server, as they will eventually install a standby DBES for DR purposes. So, in the mean time we can use that SRP to migrate the server.

Doing the backup/restore of the BESMgmt DB won't be a problem, but regarding the backup of the NSF's, apart from the State DBs and the Profiles DB in the BES folder, do you think I should move any other? Won't these DBs have any problems once moved from one domain to the other?

Once a have replaced the NFS's from the original domain into the new one, and once I have restored the BESMgmt, I would proceed to move the users from the domino mail server in the first domain to the new one, right?

After this is done, I could do the replacement of the SRP and start the BES server to see how is goes.

I wonder, do you think the BES server in the new domain will take the changes for all of its users from the new domino Directory properly? I think no further changes are necessary from the users point of view as the AdminP process should take care of that, regarding the Move of the users between the domains.

I think this will do the trick, but I will try to test it in my own environment (VMWare) to see what happens. If you can think of any other detail I should be aware of, please let me know.

I certainly will let you know how this goes.

Many thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Making replicas of the NSFs from the old BES directory to the new shouldn't pose any problems. Just ensure that the new BES has Manager's access to NSFs similar to how it was on the old BES. I can't think of any other DBs that would be required....but search the old BES first thoroughly before moving anything and document.
You mentioned that you already have an SRP ID...is this a permanent one? If it is you have just solved your problem.
Here's my suggestion....hopefully it does not confuse you
1. Move the MSDE to a SQL db....I know licensing issues and all that, but this is an interim stage
2. Setup the 2nd BES in the new domain and point it to the SQL db. The different domains should not be an issue since they have already been cross-certified
3. Move the users using the BM console over to the new BES server. Test with one user for a few days. That way you'll see how long AdminP takes and how long it will take for the old service books to be flushed and replaced with the new ones (on the device). Observe the MAGT, ROUT and SYNC logs on the new BES for the this user.

This setup will allow you to test two things in stages....
A. Moving the BB user form one BES to another with the BM.....mail should still flow for the user
B. Then....Moving that same user from one Domino domain to another using the Domino Admin client....AdminP will make the changes, but you may have to force it
Obviously backup the BESMgmt before you proceed in either case. This method would involve less steps, hence less opportunities for problems. What we're doing in this method is making using of a single configuration db to move users around. transparent to the users this way.
Closed Thread