Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Rumble

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Restoring contacts.

Please Login to Remove!

I'm VERY new to the BES support (or IT support for that matter) in my company. I'm very sure that I'm not the first person with this scenario so if anyone can offer some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

User left company A to join company B (my company). He was with Telus, and we are with Rogers. He needs to move the Contacts in his Telus BB to a new Rogers BB at our company.

He is no longer on company A BES but still has IT policies on his BB. I want to somehow back up his contacts and be able to move.

I have tried to activate his Telus BB on company B BES but as you know, it rejects his Telus BB.

To keep his Contacts intact, I cannot wipe his Telus BB.

Will there be a problem with the following:

Install BB Desktop Manager and sync Telus BB with his Outlook client that is part of our MS Exchange.

Move the Telus phone number to Rogers, assign it to a new BB device.

Activate Rogers BB with our BES and sync up with the Outlook contacts.

Can this be done?

I'm just wary that I can't force a sync with his Telus BB to our Outlook environment.

Burton
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Install BB Desktop Manager and sync Telus BB with his Outlook client that is part of our MS Exchange.

Move the Telus phone number to Rogers, assign it to a new BB device.

Activate Rogers BB with our BES and sync up with the Outlook contacts.

Can this be done?
This should work fine, as long as the IT Policy currently on the Telus BB permits syncing via Desktop Manager.

If it doesn't you may need to manually remove the IT policy and then do a USB cable sync with Desktop Manager.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
bbxpert
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel

Yes that will work, once you use the desktop manager to sync his telus BB with outlook when you activate the rogers BB on your BES it will then sync all his contacts down.

On the telus BB you will need to delete the desktop sync service book first, this will unlock the wireless sync and then allow the desktop sync. You can also make a backup of the device at that point as well if you want.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

You can activate his Telus BB on your BES - you just need to be paying for the number and a data plan to do it. There's nothing preventing you from using multiple carriers within BES.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post
This should work fine, as long as the IT Policy currently on the Telus BB permits syncing via Desktop Manager.

If it doesn't you may need to manually remove the IT policy and then do a USB cable sync with Desktop Manager.
Thanks for that! So, exactly how can I safely remove the IT policy on the device itself without wiping out his Contacts?

Burton

Last edited by Rumble; 11-06-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
soupandsandwich

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Rumble

Thanks for the link!

Burton
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post

Okay, the DM sync method worked! I was concerned that an IT policy might still reject the sync but I got lucky.

Thanks for the help guys!

Burton
Closed Thread