Bosko.Schwartz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Separate Messages?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

Still a noob, but getting the hang of it after a couple of days with my new 8900 BB.

Here's what I want to do, so please tell me if this is possible:

I want to create a folder or an icon entitled "Messages" that will include ALL of my messages and will alert me when I get a message of any kind. Yes, I know, the BB already does this. What I want to do differently is, when I click on the Message icon, I want to be able to have ALL of my different messaging icons SEPARATE, so I can then know exactly what type of message I received before I look at it. As it is now, there is no way to differentiate between messages from different e-mail accounts and it is quite annoying. This messaging folder would ideally contain separate icons with SMS/MMS messaging, Outlook mail, Yahoo mail, Google mail, Facebook, MySpace, etc.

As it is now, there already are separate icons for SMS/MMS, Yahoo, MySpace, Facebook, Google mail (but not Outlook), but all e-mail messages of any kind still go into the generic Messages icon, while text messages are separate. I understand this is how messages are set up, as it is a catch-all, but is there a way to create this folder so I can have all of my different messaging icons in there? I have also heard that Empower will create an Outlook icon for me, but haven't tried that yet. I would just put all the messaging icons on my main page, but I don't want messaging to take up all 6 slots -- I just want it to take up one slot.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You can create a FOLDER
call it what you want.
move all email icons into it and place that on the homescreen.

But unless you use Empower to create the BES icon for outlook, they will still go into the messages ICON andso will everything else.
Once you use Empower, you can then HIDE the messages ICON

But you must check this icon regularly. as some things will automatically go into it and nothing else (app world update messages is an example)

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko.Schwartz View Post
I have also heard that Empower will create an Outlook icon for me, but haven't tried that yet.
It will create a BES icon. BES != Outlook. Outlook is a mail client that supports many types of email accounts (Exchange is just one of them).
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Bosko.Schwartz

Default Empower

OK, I will try this and see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Bosko.Schwartz

Thumbs up Empower!

OK, I downloaded Empower BES mailbox and it worked perfectly. I created a MESSAGING folder to put on the home screen and then placed all messaging icons in that folder. I get alerted whenever I have a new message, and as soon as I open the MESSAGING folder, I know exactly which type of message it is. All e-mail messages still go to the generic "Messages" BB icon as well, but since I have icons for everything else, I just check those first and if there's anything left, I know to check the Messages icon for any stragglers.

Thanks for the help; this was EXACTLY what I needed!

By the way, it looked like the Empower BES icon service costs $19.95, but it didn't give me an option to buy it. I could only download the free trial. Will it give me an option to buy after the trial period is over?

Last edited by Bosko.Schwartz; 08-25-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Possibly.
Glad you got what you wanted.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
SueWNY

Model: Tour
PIN: Ask!
Carrier: Sprint

I have three different email accounts coming to my BB and when I created them through BIS they were each given their own icon.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueWNY View Post
I have three different email accounts coming to my BB and when I created them through BIS they were each given their own icon.
It works slightly differently on BES. You don't get a separate mail box folder on BES, the BES mail (plus any personal email) all goes to the message folder.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
GEneha

Carrier: Airtel
Default link for purchasing BESMailbox

Quote:

By the way, it looked like the Empower BES icon service costs $19.95, but it didn't give me an option to buy it. I could only download the free trial. Will it give me an option to buy after the trial period is over?

Empower Website is running on updates at present. You can contact their support team for any assistance with the app.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
wjereb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES

Just keep in mind that Empower doesn't work all that well with any OS higher than 4.2 due to restrictions imposed by RIM. You probably won't see any sent messages and you'll have to hit escape twice to get out of it. You might want to pass the following link on to your BB Admin and see if he will do this. This procedure will put a mailbox icon on your BB for just your BES messages, just like your BIS mailboxes.

View Document

Best of all it's free and works better than Empower.

Bill J
If someone helps you, hit the Thanks button!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
ani
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
OK, I downloaded Empower BES mailbox and it worked perfectly. I created a MESSAGING folder to put on the home screen and then placed all messaging icons in that folder. I get alerted whenever I have a new message, and as soon as I open the MESSAGING folder, I know exactly which type of message it is. All e-mail messages still go to the generic "Messages" BB icon as well, but since I have icons for everything else, I just check those first and if there's anything left, I know to check the Messages icon for any stragglers.

Thanks for the help; this was EXACTLY what I needed!

The app will give you a Buy Now button when the Trial expires.
Closed Thread