Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sync BB Calendar item to Outlook 2003

Please Login to Remove!

I have searched on this topic and have only found references to problems involving BES. I am not using BES.

I have Outlook 2003. I use this to store my personal calendar (I run my own business) and check personal email accounts. I am using Blackberry Desktop Manager version 4.2.2.12 (Mar 19 2007). I just got a Verizon 8830.

Under Synchronize Configuration I have it selected to sync Calendar items from my "Calendar" folder in Outlook. All my Outlook entered calendar items show up on the BB, but ones created on the BB don't show up in Outlook. This should be a two-way sync right?

The one strange thing, during syncing it always asks me to accept a huge number of calendar changes from Outlook to the BB, like 495, but it never gets to the point of asking me to accept any changes from the BB to Outlook.

The Address Book syncs both ways and asks to accept changes from BB to Outlook.

I am syncing via a USB cable connection with the BB. I haven't been able to get "Enable Bluetooth Support" to be clickable in Blackberry Desktop Manager or in Blackberry Device Manager (4.2.2.6).

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With your BB plugged in to the PC, open Desktop Manager and Synchronize. Click the Configure tab then I think configure sync button (doing this from memory, I am mobile right now). You should see your Address book, calendar, etc listed. Hightlight over the calendar and then advanced at the bottom to see what the settings indicate and change to sync both directions.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-23-2007 at 01:23 AM..
Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks. It was set to sync both directions.

Now it appears to be related to the calendar getting a full sync each time. When I use Desktop Manager and go to Backup/Restore - Advanced, it says my Calendar database has no items. Clearing the calendar database doesn't do anything.

I did go into the sync options and reselected my profile and outlook calendar folder and ended up with two sets of appointments, and it still syncs all appointments each time.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Tried a soft reset. No joy.

Trying a hard reset now.

And this with only one day of ownership.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Ideasmiths
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8830 View Post
Tried a soft reset. No joy.

Trying a hard reset now.

And this with only one day of ownership.
Two possiblity, highest one is that your firmware on your BB is screwed up. download the latest one, wipe your BB, resync. If it is the latest one, wipe your BB and resync.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

BB8830, are you getting ANY error messages at the end of the sync? Also, check the log in Desktop Manager and see if there are any errors listed. There could be something unseen here causing it abnormally quit the sync before the BB Calendar is able to sync.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
jeaston

Default Having the Same Issue

I too have a new BB 8830 and I am experiencing the same problem. I have done some web research and found many owners are experiencing this problem but I have not seen anyone with an answer.

This leads me to believe there is a bug either within the BB software suite or a sensitivity between the BB and certain PC configurations. I just wish someone knew the answer.

Best,

John
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

jeaston, could you post the question? What error are you getting if any? Does the Log in DM show any information?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
BB8830, are you getting ANY error messages at the end of the sync? Also, check the log in Desktop Manager and see if there are any errors listed. There could be something unseen here causing it abnormally quit the sync before the BB Calendar is able to sync.
No Error messages during or after sync. The log shows only the following as potentially interesting:

IGNORE "name appt"
=> ID "00000000494C3A47FEA88149A455B9317D1F8FDB84A12000@ d4a86107" is not unique.
ADD "Name appt"
IGNORE "New Year's Eve"
=> ID "00000000494C3A47FEA88149A455B9317D1F8FDBE4B82C00@ d4a86107" is not unique.
ADD "New Year's Eve"

The "name appt" item is a recurring item. I searched for all occurances of these items and deleted them. Just deleting the current recurring series does not delete the past occurances.

Unfortunately it did not help.

I haven't tried contacting Verizon to see if I can get the latest firmware for the system, otherwise I would try wiping the system and starting over. Although from Jeaston's comments it sounds like it's more widespread than just me. Is that good or bad?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
coolkarim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 250ff349
Carrier: vodafone

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 8300

get doubles or nothing

BB say zero entries but BB shows plenty of appointments too

have tried everything,wiping, resetting etc

In the desert Water=Time, Fuel=Distance

www.desertbiking.co.uk
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is an excerpt from the very top of my log file:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On 5/23/2007 2:05 PM
Synchronize Handheld Calendar with Microsoft Outlook Calendar

First System: Handheld
Second System: Microsoft Outlook
Conflict Resolution: Notify
Appointment Range: From 5/23/2007 To 12/31/2400

Total Inputs From First System: 0

Field mapping used for translation:
*default file mapping info removed*

User has requested a re-sync.
Translation Canceled!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On 5/23/2007 2:05 PM
Synchronize Handheld Calendar with Microsoft Outlook Calendar

First System: Handheld
Second System: Microsoft Outlook
Conflict Resolution: Notify
Appointment Range: From 5/23/2007 To 12/31/2400

Input From Second System:
*long list of items from Outlook removed*
-------------------------------------------------------------

The "Translation Canceled" seems important, but it doesn't say way. Obviously it thinks that the BB "First System" has no calendar items.

But then it goes on and apparently does the same thing and "works" at least in the Outlook to BB direction.

Just more information in case anyone can use it.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

One (possibly dumb) question--you do actually have calendar items in the BB set up for the future? Don't hit me if you do!

Let's try something totally out of left field here... it might work.

ALL done with your BB connected to your desktop:

Go to your DM and SYNCH, and CONFIG tab, Configure Sync button and highlight, click Choose and set the Calendar to sync to a different PIM other than MS Outlook, perhaps the ASCII Import/Export. Set it to sync to a blank txt file you create somewhere (in advance) like on your desktop.

Set it and close it out.

ReOpen DM, go back to the same place to set the sync of the Calendar and now change it back to MS Outlook. Try your sync again and let's see what happens.

MAYBE this could reset the connection to the BlackBerry? It's worth a try, not much effort or time involved.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

JSanders: I am reluctant to reset the place the calendar syncs to because I have already reset it to the same Calendar folder in Outlook and now I have duplicates of all my Outlook items on my BB. I fear if I do this again I will have triplicates. Of course if it works and allows me to delete all the items from my calendar database it would have been worth it. I'll mull it over and post my results if I try it.

Yes, I have tested by creating future calendar items on the BB and syncing. No problem asking, you gotta be sure.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I found this, it applies to Wireless sync. It could apply in your case, i don't know. Do a back up of your BB first, at least you could restore only the duplicated calendar if it were to "triplify" the entries.

BlackBerry Search Results
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

And I found this now:
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I found this, it applies to Wireless sync. It could apply in your case, i don't know. Do a back up of your BB first, at least you could restore only the duplicated calendar if it were to "triplify" the entries.

Thanks. I tried it, but no help. At least it didn't triplicate my entries. I think the bigger question in why does the BDM not recognize any entries in the calendar database.

I appreciate you searching the Blackberry support site for this problem. I did the same last night until midnight my time.

The other link refers to an option that doesn't exist in Outlook 2003.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Arghh... sorry. I'm stuck.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Arghh... sorry. I'm stuck.

Good luck.
Thanks. I may need it. Going to try Verizon tomorrow and hopefully they will have an escalation procedure that can get me to RIM, 'cause I know they are just going to be no help. This is way beyond the "resetting your voicemail password" that most first level techs are familiar with. No offense of course, I used to be that front line support in a former life.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #19
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

More info in this thread. Long story short RIM knows about the problem, appraently a fix has been released to Verizon for testing.

77619-verizon-8830-calendar-showing-0-entries.html
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 AM   #20
SBFnew2BB

I'm so relieved that I found this thread. I've spent countless hours setting up my first BB (got 8830 on Mon 5/28)...and the last 5 of those researching and troubleshooting this issue.

I started out w/the duplicate issue and while I was trying to correct that, I blanked out my Outlook calendar. Have tried everything imaginable - and looks like I'm in good company. Since the Intellisync is not recognizing any Calendar entries - from my log:

One-way sync from Handheld Calendar to Microsoft Outlook Calendar

I've tested new appointments enterred into Outlook and they sync on BB fine. I've tried syncing from BB to any # of other places (Yahoo, etc.) I've done it all - deleting Intellisync folder, deleting and creating new Outlook Profile.

But, now I found this info and the cross-referenced thread (re: Verizon and RIM know, but apparently aren't sure whose "court the ball is in") - at least I know I'm not going crazy and I can stop this madness, at least tonight.

Thanks!
Closed Thread