Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
srvkey

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Losing BIS connection every night

Please Login to Remove!

If this is a known item, please direct me to the info and I'll pull it rather than recreate an old topic. I tried several searches and came up blank.

New client moved to 7 BB Tour and 2 BB Curve (Sprint) devices. They tether for most Outlook/Exchange sync data, but run BIS for email sync.

All 9 BBs lose email connection each night and must reestablish their BIS account to restore email sync.

Client has repeated this each night for the past four nights and says they do NOT do backups over the weekend. My first thought was a problem with Exchange backups causing an interruption.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Welcome to the forums.

Do these users use the auto on/off feature on the device?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvkey View Post
If this is a known item, please direct me to the info and I'll pull it rather than recreate an old topic. I tried several searches and came up blank.

New client moved to 7 BB Tour and 2 BB Curve (Sprint) devices. They tether for most Outlook/Exchange sync data, but run BIS for email sync.

All 9 BBs lose email connection each night and must reestablish their BIS account to restore email sync.

Client has repeated this each night for the past four nights and says they do NOT do backups over the weekend. My first thought was a problem with Exchange backups causing an interruption.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
It has to be some sort of maintenance. I would really double check on the backups. Could be taking them off line for a virus scan or patching.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
srvkey

Thanks for timely response. I'm heavily leaning to the "maintenance" on the data network side, but wanted to check here for any known items. I will check on "maintenance" and also the auto on/off. But, I believe the devices default to auto on/off disabled - meaning the device will stay on all the time and for all ten to be seeing the same thing chances are low that everyone found how to enable this.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvkey View Post
Thanks for timely response. I'm heavily leaning to the "maintenance" on the data network side, but wanted to check here for any known items. I will check on "maintenance" and also the auto on/off. But, I believe the devices default to auto on/off disabled - meaning the device will stay on all the time and for all ten to be seeing the same thing chances are low that everyone found how to enable this.
Something is make the servers unavailable. BIS only checks in every 15 minutes so it has to be something that lasts a while.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
srvkey

Default Answer, well waiting on it...

This was painful, but seems easy in the end.

The client wouldn't allow on-site, direct access to the network / servers - much "to do" about it not being their network and "in no way involves their servers..." Well i don't even need to tell you that WOW - amazingly, after giving them several things to check into (just to share a few)

- Exchange store nightly defrag
- backups
- anti-virus
- auto software patching
- general server-to-server maintenance
- basically anything that would impact / interrupt the data flow to / from BIS

Well yesterday the problem just up and went away... and of course they changed nothing...

I hope to learn what really was changed so i can store it away and share it here... thanks for the sounding board.

Cheers!
Closed Thread