Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
OrganicRusty

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Question Newbie with questions

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new to the forum, and somewhat new to the BB family. I have a couple of questions I need to ask to move in the right direction. I have an 8800 with NO data plan and NO voice plan. I have been using it only as a PDA and have been able to sync it with my Outlook tasks, calendar, memo, and contacts, but not my e-mail. Any clues on how to get it to sync my e-mail using the BB Desktop Software (v4.5)? Is this something I need to set up on the device, in Outlook, or is it all controlled from the Desktop Software?

Second question is my work subscribes to a BBES and said they could offer this to me if I had my own device. Do I still need to purchase a data plan for them to enable my device on their network?

Thanks for the help,
Rusty
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Blackberrys don't sync email with Outlook like that. Blackberrys will receive the same piece of email as Outlook but it's only through RIM's servers, which means a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) data plan or Blackberry Internet Service data plan (BIS).

If your company puts you on their BES plan that's all you need. You definitely do not need a data plan of your own. It's one or the other: corporate BES or personal BIS. The good news is that they pay for your data plan. The bad news is they usually push an IT policy onto your Blackberry that restricts what you can do with it. Often you won't be able to add personal email accounts. Sometimes it means no internet surfing or any third-party apps. You give them control over your Blackberry, even though it's your property. Once you're on the corporate BES they call the shots.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
DennisLocke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

To use email on a blackberry you have to have a blackberry data plan for each device. This is true whether using the Desktop Redirector, BIS or BES.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If your company puts you on their BES plan that's all you need. You definitely do not need a data plan of your own. It's one or the other: corporate BES or personal BIS. The good news is that they pay for your data plan. The bad news is they usually push an IT policy onto your Blackberry that restricts what you can do with it. Often you won't be able to add personal email accounts. Sometimes it means no internet surfing or any third-party apps. You give them control over your Blackberry, even though it's your property. Once you're on the corporate BES they call the shots.
1. It would be possible for the company to allow you access to the BES without purchasing the data plan for you. You might want to clarify exactly what the company will offer with the BES.

2. The nature of the IT Policy can vary widely, so it might not be an onerous restriction. Then again, it might. Check with the administrator in charge of the BES server.

Oh, and to the OP -- welcome.

Last edited by djm2; 08-19-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Blackberrys don't sync email with Outlook like that.
Actually, they don't sync email at all. Email is pushed and, in certain cases, reconciled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
2. The nature of the IT Policy can vary widely, so it might not be an onerous restriction. Then again, it might. Cherck with the administrator in charge of the BES server.
Good point. We don't lock down anything. Still, don't assume that anything on your BB is private once it's on their BES.

Last edited by takeshi; 08-19-2008 at 08:16 AM..
Closed Thread