Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
dieselpowered

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES Question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there everyone, this is the first time I have ever used a Blackberry sync'd with my office e mail, calendar, ect.

Anyhow, I received my Storm and got everything setup and sync'd...for some reason, some calendar entries sync, and some do not (Birthdays)

I have the birthdays listed in my contacts on my desktop, however, some of them are not making their way to my calendar on my storm.

Now comes a different issue, received a reaplcement storm cause my first one was giving me problems (not the syncing part), sync'd it with my desktop and still the same issue as above. But my other question is I was shocked to find that when I sync'd it changed everything on the new phone to that of the previous...ring tones, call logs, etc. Is that normal? Does the BES actually backup all of that? How can I clear all that information from being backed up or is that something the admin would have to do?

Thanks for taking the time, you will have to forgive my ignorance!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

I'll take a shot at this but this may not be the final answer:

1. Regarding birthdays -- I do not have birthdays listed in contacts (I previously did on my Treo but it became a mess). If they are real CALENDAR entries, and the FIRST ONE was more than 15, 30, 60 days ago (whatever you have the maximum age of calendar entries your BlackBerry set to), they will not show up.

2. Regarding BES and settings -- BlackBerry Enterprise SERVER (BES) does not backup all of your settings. BES strictly acts as secure transport from Exchange/Notes/Groupwise to the RIM network to your mobile provider to your device. BlackBerry DESKTOP (application) has the option to back up settings. Yes, this is nice (if you 'brick', damage, or lose your device). But it can also be a security risk (as per my employer) as emails, contacts, etc. are ALSO backed up.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
dieselpowered

Thanks for the time, actually the calendar entries that I was looking for were in the future and some of them showed and some did not. I have a contact with a birthday on January 4th and it is not showing, however, another with a May 2nd that is showing.

Yes my apologies, the BES is just the service, so the BB Desktop is where the settings are being stored...guess I will have to see if I can change it no NOT backup all that extra stuff like call logs, ring tones, etc...is that possible?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
dieselpowered

In talking with the folks at RIM, the BES does in fact backup all settings, ringtones, etc. I need to not get in touch with our admin to delete my wireless backup.

This is not a function of the desktop software but that of the BES.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

Yes. BES backs up everything, profiles, theme and fonts......I love it! As far as the B'days not syncing, not sure on that one. Mine syncs. Do you sync wirelessly? That is the only way to go.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Closed Thread